Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 600f2 last night and rode it home.

I was going through the gears and shifting every 3-4,000 rpm

When cruising at 55mph I stayed in 6th gear and it was about 4,000 rpm.

I was judging what rpm to stay at by the sound of the engine... does that sound about right?

What rpm do you guys stay at?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
on the freeway I just put it in 6th and go, doesn't matter what the RPM's are at.

Now if i'm out riding on a back road I keep the sucker up in the 8K+ range.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
For me no the highway, i am in 6th gear and let the RPM's rise. At around 71 mph I am at 6200rpms. yea......sounds about right.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes when I was in sixth the bike was still pulling hard, I actually thought there was another gear I had to shift to!

good power for a bike this old. (20,000 miles)

H20max1 ...what do you mean by taken apart? :)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i usually am aroun 5k on the freeway and 3.5-4k round town.

·
Registered
501 Posts
this really depends on how the bike is geared and engine configuration. but basically top gear and whatever rpm allows you to keep the speed limit

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good info!

when going through town, I would use the engine sound mostly to know what gear to use

Also-- when I shifted to a gear that was too high, the engine would feel sluggish so I would downshift a gear or two until it felt right.

this is my first real sportbike! what fun :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
yeah, make sure you don't lug the engine, that will damage it. of course you don't want to be screaming around the neighborhood either, pisses off the neighbors and attracts the attention of police.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Usually close to 7K at around 80-85mph, in 5th so I have plenty of GO should I need to get out of the way in a hurry. Like I read somewhere else, 6th gear is for when you're at least 50 miles from the city and there's no one around.

Once you're used to it, you'll be shifting much higher up than 4K :) But you're doing good for now, get to know the bike first. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I'm between, 7 and 9 rpm on the highway.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks! I appreciate it...it brings back memories when I rode this same model bike in college...it was the same color too :D

lifeliberty: how will lugging damage the engine?

·
Registered
501 Posts
It is also important not to lug the engine. Lugging an engine means putting the engine under an extremely stressful load. A common way to lug an engine is to operate it at an extremely low rpm while the transmission is in a higher gear (for instance, leaving the transmission in fourth gear when it should be in second or third where engine speed is better matched to transmission speed). Lugging causes extreme stress between the rear thrust faces of each piston and the cylinder walls. Small bits of piston skirt can break away causing the rear surface to scuff. The best prevention for lugging an engine (either old or new) is to downshift to a lower gear where the engine runs more freely, and the transmission assists the engine in delivering peak power to the rear wheel.

http://www.jpcycles.com/tech/articles/enginebreakin.htm

·
Registered
471 Posts
LifeLiberty said:
It is also important not to lug the engine. Lugging an engine means putting the engine under an extremely stressful load. A common way to lug an engine is to operate it at an extremely low rpm while the transmission is in a higher gear (for instance, leaving the transmission in fourth gear when it should be in second or third where engine speed is better matched to transmission speed). Lugging causes extreme stress between the rear thrust faces of each piston and the cylinder walls. Small bits of piston skirt can break away causing the rear surface to scuff. The best prevention for lugging an engine (either old or new) is to downshift to a lower gear where the engine runs more freely, and the transmission assists the engine in delivering peak power to the rear wheel.

http://www.jpcycles.com/tech/articles/enginebreakin.htm
:cheers good post.. the same is true about all engines.. in cars/trucks too

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a new 05 SV650S and the manual says not to run the RPM's past 5K for the first 500miles and not past 7,500RPM before 1,000miles. I haven't been on the highway yet so I don't know what the RPM is. Would you guys suggest just riding on the streets and stay away from the highway for the first 500miles?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts