Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the r6 is due for an update? With all Kawasaki and Honda doing the undertail exhaust, I figure Yamaha isn't for behind for their 600SS. Just curious mainly...

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
It was just freshened up for 05. There will most likely be some BNG for '06 and Yamaha's 50th anniversary. You'll see some more substantial tweaks in '07. That bike is so god damn good right now though, 99% of people will never need anything more then what it currently is. I'm sure undertail exhausts will go the way of neon graphics too in a few years.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Undertail doesn't necessarily mean faster.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Undertails do "clean up" the look of the bike by giving it perfect symmetry, but undertails just add weight in the wrong place. You want weight down low, like the Gixxer 1000 exhaust, not at the highest point on the bike ala 636/6RR or 600RR. And many may say the K5 1000 exhaust is ugly, but its design is all about lowering the center of gravity of the bike. I really wouldnt be surprised if more companys start moving to triangular exhausts mounted nice and low. Low weight, with adequate ground clearance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Undertail actually is more restrictive and add weight at the wrong spot. it's merely for looks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Even from the looks standpoint, it doesnt look very good at all. The only bike that looks decent with undertail IMO is an older ducati.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mean to harp on the undertail exhaust, just wondering when it was going to get a refreshed look. Just seems to be the same look with different graphics unlike the 636/gsx6, etc. Just meaning for healthy conversation. I'll be getting a sv650 when the finances are in line.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
cvm4 said:
I didn't mean to harp on the undertail exhaust,
oh thats what you mean, why didn't you say so in the beginning?
why screw up a revolutionary design, the R1 came out in 98, and looked great, when the 6 came out the next year it emulated its b***** sisters success and they keep the formula going

1 - 11 of 11 Posts