Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So (for the seasonally challenged riders) when is the best time to buy a used bike? I’m looking at a few SS’s right now (one private two at shops) and am very tempted to pull the tr***** on one, but can’t decide if prices will be better now when people are putting their bike away and shops need room for snowmobiles, or waiting until spring when I would assume the market would be flooded… or how about the dead of winter when nobody is looking to buy? I just want to add a second bike for next season, so I got months to think about it. What sort of timing do you guys find works best?

·
5,455 Posts
right now until about february. once people start thinking about riding prices will jump back up.

i scored a deal on the '05 R6 at the beginning of January last winter and just scooped up an '07 SV650S a couple weeks ago.

what are you buying???

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
What are these snowmobiles you speak of?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
right now until about february. once people start thinking about riding prices will jump back up.

i scored a deal on the '05 R6 at the beginning of January last winter and just scooped up an '07 SV650S a couple weeks ago.

what are you buying???
This.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are you buying???
i've been looking at a Suzuki, a Honda, and a triumph… but I think I will wait a bit, for some reason I really want a 636, but there aren’t any decent ones around right now in my price range.

I really want the triumph, but the ‘torture rack’ reputation is keeping me away, although I haven’t ridden one. Plus while the body is in good shape, the left fork cap is damaged, which makes me think it was crashed very hard aaand I cannot trust the mileage since the gages would have been wiped out in any accident that damaged a fork cap and there's not a scratch on the cluster. The triumph also doesn’t fit into my ‘cheap 600 to screw around on and do a few track days’ plan since it’s not a ‘dime a dozen’ bike like an ’05 gsx-r600. It’s just so damn sexy…

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i've been looking at a Suzuki, a Honda, and a triumph… but I think I will wait a bit, for some reason I really want a 636, but there aren’t any decent ones around right now in my price range.

I really want the triumph, but the ‘torture rack’ reputation is keeping me away, although I haven’t ridden one. Plus while the body is in good shape, the left fork cap is damaged, which makes me think it was crashed very hard aaand I cannot trust the mileage since the gages would have been wiped out in any accident that damaged a fork cap and there's not a scratch on the cluster. The triumph also doesn’t fit into my ‘cheap 600 to screw around on and do a few track days’ plan since it’s not a ‘dime a dozen’ bike like an ’05 gsx-r600. It’s just so damn sexy…
Wait you can't find a 636 in your price range but your looking at Triumphs?

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
05-06 636's and Triumphs seem to both be kinda similar in the "can't find at a good price" deal.

I saw a 05 636 for 2500 a while back... had a dead ECU and some body damage. If I wasn't closing on a house at the time I would have gotten it and flipped it. But other than that, people want like 5500 or more for them. WAY too much.

I see plenty of 06 or so 675's around for under 5 grand. I've seen them as low as 3800, I think. Damned good deal for a fantastic bike. I'd say I see them more often than 636's, but I also look for them more often.

Anyways, the "torture rack" thing is totally subjective. I find them just as comfortable as any other supersport, personally. But I have a long torso and short legs. So take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
+1 on this

And as for buying new/leftovers, I find its usually March, maybe April when the very last stragglers are on showroom floors and the dealers are most motivated to get them out. Of course, that assumes there's leftovers of what you want.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
05-06 636's and Triumphs seem to both be kinda similar in the "can't find at a good price" deal.
I largely agree with this; that being said though, I find that there are A LOT of really good deals on speed triples - 07-09 speedies often sell for under $7k

I'm really tempted to buy one...

·
5,455 Posts
the 05-06 636 isn't very comfortable in my opinion. didn't know if you planned on riding it on the street or not. the ergos are very aggressive and the mirrors are HORRIBLE!!!! (almost as bad as my 848 haha)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I largely agree with this; that being said though, I find that there are A LOT of really good deals on speed triples - 07-09 speedies often sell for under $7k

I'm really tempted to buy one...
I find it pretty difficult to find deals on them, actually. I think I saw an 06 at a dealer with pretty low miles for 5000 recently... but other than that, I haven't seen any tempting deals on the 1050 triples. I'd love to have one, but I think it'd be a bit impractical for my uses...

This BMW I have now seems pretty nice. I just have to get it running smoother....

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
the 05-06 636 isn't very comfortable in my opinion. didn't know if you planned on riding it on the street or not. the ergos are very aggressive and the mirrors are HORRIBLE!!!! (almost as bad as my 848 haha)
It's funny how subjective these things are. I felt very comfortable on my 05 ZX6RR, and aside from the tank being narrower I feel like the ergos on my 1098s are virtually identical. Both bikes have rearsets, and the Duc has helibars though, so neither is quite stock.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That's funny because each time i ride my 05 636 i could just lean over the tank and take a nap while riding, it is THAT comfy for me.

And as far as finding good deals on used bikes, it depends on the location too. I have seen zx6r's and gsxr1000 (2400-5500) to be the cheapest bikes around on the used market and i have looked through the used market for almost a year straight. D675's have been in the 7k range.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There's a bargain purchase in your area 365 days a year. You just need to be flexible on what you're looking for.

And exactly what use would they have?
If you ride one WFO in any open field or frozen lake, you'll understand. They are beautifully evil machines. I'm not a sled head, but holy @&$! Batman are they fast!!!!

·
Registered
21,263 Posts

I saw a 05 636 for 2500 a while back... had a dead ECU and some body damage. If I wasn't closing on a house at the time I would have gotten it and flipped it. But other than that, people want like 5500 or more for them. WAY too much.

I see plenty of 06 or so 675's around for under 5 grand. I've seen them as low as 3800, I think. Damned good deal for a fantastic bike. I'd say I see them more often than 636's, but I also look for them more often.

Anyways, the "torture rack" thing is totally subjective. I find them just as comfortable as any other supersport, personally. But I have a long torso and short legs. So take that for what it's worth.
+1. I bought my '08 Daytona for $3800 with under 7k miles. Complete with case sliders, axle sliders, clipons, rearsets, track plastics, 2 double bubble screens, a slipon, etc. When it's in street trim, the only major visible damage is a dent in the tank, which I'm going to fix this winter. Track plastics are rashed, but who cares about that? Be willing to drive. I met the guy halfway, and I still drove 8 hours. He was from Chicago.

And I have no problems riding a few hours at a time on my last Daytona. I think my record was 13 hours, but I was pretty beat after that. I'm usually good for 5-6 hours only stopping for fuel before I start to get uncomfortable.

When I brought it home:

As it sits:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts