Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed my engine chugs/surges or jerks when i go over bumps in the road at high rpms..its hard to describe but if feels like a split second loss of power, like the throttle is being chopped.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Your grip on the bars should be relaxed. Try riding with your fingers ON TOP of the front brake lever and just the palm of your hand RESTING on the throttle. Your glove (You ARE wearing gloves... right?) should have a palm reinforcement that will have a little lip on it where it is sewn into the glove. That little bit of friction is enough to control the throttle 90% of the time.

If you are riding looses and comfy, check your chain.:director
Chain good, adjust it to the limit of loose.
If that don't get it, is your wheel coming off the ground? Even just a tiny fraction of a millimeter is enough to be 'felt' by your butt-o-meter. Have a bud ride next to you and check to see that nothing is binding. They probably won't be able to see what it is but the human eye is very good at pattern assessment. The normal human can see the pattern of the spokes getting interrupted. Wheel coming up over little bumps, your shock is dead. Might be a broken spring housing but I doubt that ,since you would be all over the road at every corner. The very last thing to check is the Cush. The Cush drive is a radial rubber (now-a-days) shock absorber, drive connection. It sits INSIDE the rear wheel and both soaks up the shock of gear changes, take offs, etc. and is the final component in transferring power from the engine to the asphalt. The modern ones (within the last 20-30 years) are real tough, but there are NO Perfect machines, Despite the delusions of Ducati owners. :rant

What Is a Cush Drive?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chain was about 2 inches , i just got finished tightening it it was 1st time so im kinda scared i messed up but im about to take it for a ride and see if i notice a difference.....O and the hesitations happen while im holding a steady throttle, my grip is relaxed enough

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok chain didnt change anything ....but i am pretty sure its only happening when im going fast , is there any chance it could be one of hoses....i had to replace one of them because it had been ripped through

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was a tiny hose that looked like it was connected to the right carbuerator from the middle of the bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i looked it up and i think its the PAIR vaccum line that was ripped through and i had to replace it heres a pic...im pretty sure its yellow one but the hose that was on there wasnt that big it was thin like a pen

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
that hose is a vent for your carbs, when you put the air box back on the hose feeds back into it. It is not a cause of your problem.

if you have eliminated drive train, i suggest checking....
1. ignition connections, some thing may be separating and you may not be getting any park when you hit a bump.
2. carbs, the cv slides might be closing when you hit a bumb, or something might be blocking fuel flow.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Actually it may me the hoses and air box. More and more this sounds like surging. This is a condition that happens to carburetors when the idle circuit is erratic. It can be caused by the float bowls not seeing the same atmospheric pressure that the carb is.

Replace the lines with known good ones, like the factory ones, and report back.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I sounds a lot like surging EXCEPT for the bump in the road part. Unless a hose is loose or cracked in such a way as to loose vaccum when the bump is hit.
One at a time, wrap them in duct tape and when it starts working right, replace the last hose you taped. It won't hurt to armor-all those hoses while you are in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for the help....it looks like it was loose battery cables ....i tightened those and i havent had a problem so far ....again thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
if your bike is dying from a loose battery connection when you go over a bump at high rpm's, then your charging system might be weak.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
No you have to have the battery in the circuit for it to function even if it's dead. Makes total sense. Just wish we would have been more clear about the problem ie total power or engine power

1 - 16 of 16 Posts