Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much drag is too much for the front brake. with the bike on a stand the wheel won't do a complete revolution from a modest push. it seemed loser before i changed brake fluid. the rear will do a complete spin.

if it is to tight - how do i loosen it?

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Sounds like the pads are dragging. You would need to take the calipers off and clean the pistons and bores with some brake clean and lube back up with clean brake fluid. Just sounds like the pistons aren't releasing back into the bores....

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
eh, see the bad part about this is when i my brakes started dragging, it progressed so rapidly, i ended up replacing the pads. you might pull your pads and clean the calipers. i ended up having a caliper piston sticking. that is how you fix it. if you hear the drag, i would say it is too tight

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's also the possibility that you have too much brake fluid in the system. Did you by chance add fluid when the level was down due to pad wear and then change the pads? When the new pads are on the capiper pistons push all the fluid back up into the mastercyclinder and if the reservoir fills up there's no room left for fluid so the brakes will drag. Happened to me once many years ago. Brakes had awesome feel and initial bite but they dragged like crazy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you got something stuck, could be a piston in the caliper or possibly the little tension spring/plate on the top of the calipers is holding one of the pads against the rotor (happened to me, didn't know it until the pad was down to metal)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are definitely dragging - i just didn't know how much is too much. the pads are still the old ones. i don't understand how changing the fluid would cause them to stick so, but they are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
check that backing plate, you should be able to get at least one full revolution with a good pull on the wheel. Think of it as price is right. the dragging sound shouldn't be too loud, almost like background noise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rdracehack said:
check that backing plate, you should be able to get at least one full revolution with a good pull on the wheel. Think of it as price is right. the dragging sound shouldn't be too loud, almost like background noise.
that is the way it used to be. now it stops short of half a revolution. i noticed it because the bike became hard to push around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts