Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you guys wheelie your ZX7, if you do. I haven't throttled it up, I don't even know if you can. I can clutch it up, but it is a [email protected] to keep the heavy front in the air for a while. I still have stock gearing so maybe that will change soon. What about you guys?

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
The ONLY way is to change the sproket/s. Unless you are a superburb rider it is most diffacult when it is plain stock.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i never tried to pull a wheelie when the bike was stock, i went -1 front sprocket, Muzzy bolt on, and Factory pro jet kit. after that i tried for the first time to do a wheelie and had no problems getting it up. with out the clutch I might add.

I've told you before how i do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Then tell the rest of us how YOU do it. I also have a had time getting the front in the air. However I have a +2 tooth rear sprocket, K&N, Shark Skinz bodywork. I can wheelie alittle with and with out the clutch , but it's not that high. What is the problem?

·
Registered
220 Posts
fear maybe? notmaking fun, but i found that a lot of people are just afraid to grab a lot of throttle. keep in mind this bike doesn't like doing wheelies in 2nd or higher gears unless a drastic change to gearing is done, or engine work.

how i do it:

in (1st gear) i ride along at say 25-30 mph i let off the throttle abruptly (this causes the front to dive a little) i then imediately grab a BUNCH of throttle, i mean a whole bunch and i do it quickly...holding it open so that it doesn't just jump up then down again. use your better judgement on just how much throttle to hold open..if donr properly the bikes front end comes up every time and with ease. on flat road, going down a hill, what ever. i have never even tried to use my clutch. now the trick is once its up as you run out of RPMs (happens fast since first gear is short) to do a clutchless shift to second....now ride ...( i have never attempted to switch into second mind you, but have no problems running the length of my grcery store parking lot in first gear blind to whats in front of me due to my front end blocking my view.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How high do you get it? I can get about 2 1/2 feet high clutching it up, but can't hold it for very long. Do you think the throttle snap will work with stock gearing? I plan on changing sprockets, but until then....

·
Registered
220 Posts
i can and have had my bike standing st8 up...though i don't feel comfortable like that.

i have no problems on command having my front tire half way up or a bit higher (ground level being 0 and standing the bike str8 up being 100%) meaning i can ride em 50% to 75% up at any time i wish.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ummm i never tried to do it with stock gearing though so i couldn't tell you.
all i can say is when i watch people try to do a wheelie, i notice the ones that fail are the ones that don't grab enough throttle, or grab enough but quickly let up on the throttle causing the bike to drop back down. you have to pull the throttle say 3 quarters and do it quick..then you have to adjust as you go keeping the throttle open...once the bike hits a sweet ballance spot it will become very easy to ride the wheelie. or you can do this...going slowly with low RPM yank it up softly then gradually give it more and more throttle causing the bike to pickup speed and at the same time the front end slowly rises, allowing you to ride it out much longer in first gear than you normally could...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just go about 15mph then pull in the clutch and rev it up and i get up about 4 feet or so, some times the tire just spins, but before i do it if im thinking about it i cant do it to good but if i just try it out of nowhere i can do it pretty good weird lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
using the clutch is harder on the chain.

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
Dont' forget to scoot your ass as far back on the seat as possiable, if your doing a sit down of course.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah i do that, and Amish i know people that wheelie alot and clutch and have no problems with the chain, and i have no problems with mine plus when ur powering up or bouncing you putting alot of pressure on the forks and beating up the tran on the bike, i think when you clutch it theres way less wear then any other way

·
Registered
605 Posts
I can do it with stock gearing but bouncing the front forks once then giving her all I can. Its not on command and I have to do it PERFECT otherwise its goies up like 6 inched and back down...

·
Registered
92 Posts
When you close the throttle do you wait a second untill the bike is on the way down? Or should you close the throttle and instantly go back to 3/4 or more?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KawZX7R said:
I just go about 15mph then pull in the clutch and rev it up and i get up about 4 feet or so, some times the tire just spins, but before i do it if im thinking about it i cant do it to good but if i just try it out of nowhere i can do it pretty good weird lol
That is how I do it know. I can get it up pretty high, but can't quite get it to the balance point yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
KawZX7R said:
yeah i do that, and Amish i know people that wheelie alot and clutch and have no problems with the chain, and i have no problems with mine plus when ur powering up or bouncing you putting alot of pressure on the forks and beating up the tran on the bike, i think when you clutch it theres way less wear then any other way
whether you power it up or drop the clutch, the front forks take the same amount of pressure. when the front end comes down is when the forks are impacted the most.
Also, I didn't mean the chain would be damaged or that you would have problems with the chain, but it will stretch faster when clutching it than just powering the front up. stretch faster over time that is.
and last but not least, powering up without the clutch is less wear intensive than reving up high and dumping the clutch.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
My problem with wheelieing my Ninja is when I try to get it into 2nd gear. Everytime I go from 1st to 2nd I get stuck on the Positive Neutral Finder that Kawasaki's have. Once that happens I lose momentum and come down.

My primary method of 'gettin her up' is using the clutch method. I cannot "power up" like others claim. I find with the lower clip-ons than most bikes it is more difficult to wheelie this bike. Along with the heavier front-end bias.

The ZX-7R doth not wheelie bike make. :)

Stone

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stonecoldchavez said:
My problem with wheelieing my Ninja is when I try to get it into 2nd gear. Everytime I go from 1st to 2nd I get stuck on the Positive Neutral Finder that Kawasaki's have. Once that happens I lose momentum and come down.

My primary method of 'gettin her up' is using the clutch method. I cannot "power up" like others claim. I find with the lower clip-ons than most bikes it is more difficult to wheelie this bike. Along with the heavier front-end bias.

The ZX-7R doth not wheelie bike make. :)

Stone
I agree, I can't power it up, and I am grabbing a hand full of throttle. I use the clutch method, it works, but of course I still have stock gearing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This ? is alittle off topic, my clutch is about 2 hairs from being shot. I have new firc. plates and springs, but waiting for the cover gasket to come in. After I put the new clutch in will that help. The old one isn't slipping, but I thought the new one might bite alittle better to help wheelie?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts