Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first off I'm not a big wheelie person I have been riding twisties and doing track stuff for 10 or so years, I drag knees and all that stuff so I'm not an amature when it comes to bikes but I am a total squid when it comes to "stunts". So heres my deal I'm on a 94 ZX9R and I can't seem to get them up at all (I get the random accedental ones that feel like it comes up a foot or so but that's it) When I go and try to do one I clutch it going about 30 MPH and all I get is a nice tire spin even in second gear and on both sets of tires (207s and H2 race) So I'm wondering what the fuck im doing wrong? I have even tried pulling up to xfer weight to the rear when I pop the clutch...

HELP!!??!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im probably not the best person to give you advice on this because to be honest, Im more like you, alot of track time, good at twisties but Im not that great at stand-up wheelies. Although they are improving. I used to think that my bike just wouldnt do a 2nd gear wheelie, until one of our riding buddies proceeded to get on my bike and ride a stand-up for about a quarter mile (talk about a kick in the face).

But I think 30mph is a bit slow for 2nd gear. You need to find the sweet spot on your bike in 2nd. I have a 929RR, and for mine it is about 50-65mph in 2nd gear. Roll on the throttle, then snap the throttle off and at the same time sort of jump and push down an both the foot pegs and the clip-ons to compress the suspension. Then just as the suspension starts to release, give a tug an the handle bars while at the same time snapping the throttle back on.

Take your time learning the sweet spot and how much throttle to give it to get the front end up, if you give it to muck, theres always a good chance you might 12 o'clock it.

Thats the best instruction I can give you, like I said, there is probably someone on here who could teach you alot better then I can.

good luck, be safe...... Its kind of like racing, learn to go fast slowly

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
get moving in first, 30mph or so(not real fast)...while your on the gas, slip the clutch in then out. one fluid motion. have your foot covering the brake in case it woudl come up real fast(shouldnt). first gear just takes a little slip of the clutch while your on the gas and it'll come right up. learn to ride first gear wheelies out to the limiter before attempting 2nd gear stand ups.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i ride on the track only now. full race prepped for next season. i hit the track simply for practice. but i do get to practice a lot on the back straights when i'm the only one on the track since track riding isn't crazy popular here in colorado. but i agree, 30 is too slow for second. on my f4i, i have to be at 45-50 mph. it's kinda weird that it the rear just spins, even w/ H2's!!! u got me, i have no idea. good luck to ya.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
ok im in no way a God at stunting, but i have been where you are right now before....i have however performed in stunt competetions and shows......now a 1st gear clutch thumper at 30mph on a zx9r is gonna get you hurt, your bike has enough power to learn in 2nd....why?? heres why.....in 1st you have WAY too much horsepower and tourque to be doing anything stupid with the clutch at midrange RPM's. Now 2nd gear is much more forgiving because it is a taller gear and its power is distributed more evenly over a broader range of RPM to speed than 1st gear. @nd gear you may wanna go about 45-55 in 2nd....get used to standing up on the pegs under hard acceleration so you get used to snapping the clutch....try a few light slips on the clutch to learn what itll feel like to get hit with the G's of a clutch slipper stand up....better than finding out AFTER the front end rears up and tosses you off the back because you arent ready right? ...now get goin say 55mph and try to roll off and on theory....you will wanna get up to like 55 and then let off the throttle then whack it open again so that the front end lifts...now a clutch wheelie is a bit more predictable but you wanna learn the basics 1st....once you get the front up then try to go further each time.....after you learn to get it up then learn to slip the clutch...this is where you would be goin like 55mph and staying on the throttle maybe a bit more as you let the clutch slip (not a total pull in and dump now remember that!!!) then let it go and itll prollay lurch forward a bit...give it more and more until you nail it....use 1-2 fingers...very important!! if not you may lose grip with your left hand and be doing your 1st 1 hander without wanting...take it from a guy who ate shit like that....it sucked....most importantly of all !!! BE SAFE!!! learn slow and take your time...unless you are in a hurry to end up in traction? didnt think so....just take it easy man itll come if you have any questions ill be happy to try my best to help you out :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reckless01 said:
...now a clutch wheelie is a bit more predictable but you wanna learn the basics 1st....
Everyone seems to say that cluching a wheelie is more stable, is that true? I would think dumpinr the clutch would make the weelie a bit more unstable, make the front "jump" up, maybe too far.

Just wondering

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
reckless you really think 25-30mph in first will get you fucked up? i can clutch those up all day on my 954. i figured they were a good starting point since it just takes a little slip of the clutch to get the front wheel lofted. personally i think its better to learn first gear power/clutch sitdowns FIRST, before attempting high speed stand ups.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
i thought he was standing...cause yes that will get you fucked up....when you stand you place weight over the rear tire more and a clutch thump at mid RPM in 1st while standing will get you hurt, unless you know how to do them....now that you say sitting then yea that is a much more stable position to learn in....sorry i thought you were tellin him to thump a 1st gear wheelie while standing :)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Reckless01 said:
i thought he was standing...cause yes that will get you fucked up....when you stand you place weight over the rear tire more and a clutch thump at mid RPM in 1st while standing will get you hurt, unless you know how to do them....now that you say sitting then yea that is a much more stable position to learn in....sorry i thought you were tellin him to thump a 1st gear wheelie while standing :)
lol i hope he isnt standing and using my advice. def dont try to stand up in first gear(yet). learn first gear sitdowns then move onto second gear stand ups. then move back to first gear stand ups(so twitchy)

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
when you get up the confidence to do stander 1st gear wheelies, put your left foot ont he rear peg and cover the brake with your right foot so you dont loop....then you are on your way to learning slow wheelies....once you can get them to come up at 30 and slow to 20 or less then you can go from 5mph to vertical and work the brake to slow down.....you wanna pass the balance point and use the brake to A) slow you down .....and..... B) keep you from pitching over backwards. once you can keep your tail bouncing and bobbing inches from the road you are ready for a bar so you can learn bar tricks.....i started with a bar so i condone the use of a bar early on but others say not to.....have fun :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW! THanks guys I figured out the problem from reading a lot of your posts. My problem was that I was not slipping the clutch rather, I was simply disengaging the clutch all the way and then just dumping it which was to much of a jolt to the tire and thus the spin. Thanks for the help, I'm going to see what I can do tomarrow and I'll report back!!!!

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
sweet man , we wish ya the best and be sure to cover your rear brake ok...we dont wantcha loopin over

·
Registered
197 Posts
There has to be an easier (and safer) way to learn than at 55 mph. If I go over at that speed and the bike hits me I won't ever have to worry about trying again. The damn thing weighs 550! Next idea?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I can't imagine a tire spin, I can roll the throttle anywhere in 1rst to get it up and give a slight clutch drop anywhere from 35-70 in second to get it up, with zero tire slip(since I changed to metzelerZ6 the above also applies to rain) Not kidding get it up at 60mph wheelies on wet roads. I ride a 1000cc Vtwin Aprilia SL Mille with all the goodies from Renegade. Aside from dirt, I've only had a few wheel spins, some in the rain with the old MetzelerZ3's and a tight second gear [email protected](dry clean road) With the new Z6 I have not had a single slip aside from dirt.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm a newbie but on the 250 Ninja I just stop, rev the bike to like 6 or 7 rpm and drop the clutch, it is good for about 3 feet and can go till red-line in 1st.

·
Registered
346 Posts
ok so i dont really feel like reading all these posts so i'm just gonna give my $.02. 1 - go faster in 2nd. 2 - i doubt your tire is spinning, might be a slipping clutch. a friend of mine rides a 96 zx9r, almost bald 208 on the rear. he clutches up 2nd around 60mph and rides them out till he runs out of room or hits limiter (.25-.5miles)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
falco said:
I can't imagine a tire spin
I have to be carefull when I'm on the track or riding in the hills. You really have to watch what you do with the gas and make sure your smooth cuse if you get on it to hard to fast the rear will spin and the whole bike will try to lowside you... The H2's are way better then the 207's though but I still have to baby it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
JESTER600 said:
ok so i dont really feel like reading all these posts so i'm just gonna give my $.02. 1 - go faster in 2nd. 2 - i doubt your tire is spinning, might be a slipping clutch. a friend of mine rides a 96 zx9r, almost bald 208 on the rear. he clutches up 2nd around 60mph and rides them out till he runs out of room or hits limiter (.25-.5miles)

Nope it spins. I tried doing wheelies with a group of friends a while back and every time the back tire spins and you can feel the rear of the bike slip out to the right and when I stop and look at the tire you can clearly see the marks on the tire from it spining and sliding to the right plus we have video that shows it spinning with smoke even lol I though it was the clutch at first too untill we saw what was really happening.

I'll try a 2nd gear @ 60 ish and see if i can do that too I think it might just come down to practice.

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
Well things that could cause that is a tire without tread, to much tire pressure, and I had a buddy who learned the hard way not to use wet look on bike tires. If you need-to get a tire, drop pressure, and if your engine is lacking bad; you can do it old school. While standing in 1st gear run up to about 25-35, close the throttle and when the front springs come up at the end of the rebound, lean back. BE SURE TO LEAN FOWARD IMMEDIATELY! Keep foot over brake and be careful and do at your own risk! It's really jerky (not for the lightweights or faint of heart), but it does what it seems your intending to do...HAVE Fun! :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts