Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that there is a sort of special tool required to remove the front and rear wheels from the ZZR600. Is this true, and if so, anybody recommend a reputable place where I could get one????

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Don't know the ZZR specifically, but since nobody has posted yet I'll give you general advice.

You need an internal hex wrench to fit the front axle. You can usually either:

- use a sparkplug socket that fits, driven from the inside
- Mock up a bolt with appropriate head size and lock two nuts together, then drive with that
- Buy a custom internal hex wrench from a cycle store - usually it has flats for the four most common sizes

You'll also need tools to remove the front fender, brake caliper bolts, fork pinch bolts, chain adjuster bolts, and rear axle nut. The last one is the only thing that may not be in a standard metric tool set.

Don't forget front/rear stands or other way of preserving unstable equilibrium.

KeS

·
5,547 Posts
I believe that there is a sort of special tool required to remove the front and rear wheels from the ZZR600. Is this true, and if so, anybody recommend a reputable place where I could get one????
For the rear wheel you will need a 32mm socket. I picked up one at my local AutoZone for about $16.00. For the front wheel you need a good set of allen sockets as one is needed to loosen the fork pinch bolts on the right hand side and removing the brake caliper bolts before loosening axle with an axle tool that can be purchased off ebay for $25.00 with $7.50 flat rate shipping. It's uses a standard 3/8" drive. I also would suggest that you buy a torque wrench and a service manual.

eBay Motors: SPORT BIKES HEX AXLE REMOVAL SOCKET; 17, 19, 22, 24mm (item 370152231687 end time Feb-28-09 16:36:19 PST)

Attachments

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's great, but it appears that you now need to buy a 22mm end wrench or socket to turn that thing with. Correct? With my route all I needed was a regular 3/8" socket drive that's already in any socket set.
Yes, you're right but those are tools in my case I already had.

V

·
5,547 Posts
Yes, you're right but those are tools in my case I already had.

V
The point I was trying to make, that for the average person. That more than likely has a socket set with a 3/8" drive this would be a better solution to the problem. How many of you guys have a 22mm socket or end wrench laying around? I know I don't, I have no use for them. Jay

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
i used the spark plug and extension method :D

·
5,547 Posts
As depicted there is already a 3/8" square drive hole in at least the larger end.

KeS
Really???? Why are you telling me something that I have already posted and already know. I already own this tool! As a matter of fact there are 3/8" square drive holes in each end!

My point was with the link that veeman posted you will need a 22mm socket or end wrench. With the link that I posted to the tool that I already own you need a 3/8" socket drive. This appears to be the more practical route for most people.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Really???? Why are you telling me something that I have already posted and already know. I already own this tool! As a matter of fact there are 3/8" square drive holes in each end!

My point was with the link that veeman posted you will need a 22mm socket or end wrench. With the link that I posted to the tool that I already own you need a 3/8" socket drive. This appears to be the more practical route for most people.
Because the image was posted directly under the link in your post, so I assumed it came from there. Simple confusion, no need to be so snotty about it.

KeS

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sheesh guys, Im sorry I started such a heated debate...lol. Thanx to ALL of ya for the input. The tool that you show rocket is the exact one I was lookin for, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. So, now its off to do some shoppin! yay for me!! :boink

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH yea...so the special tool is for the front correct? And teh rear only requires the 32mm? Including the other tools for the other things, thats the not so common tool....?

·
Registered
86 Posts
sheesh guys, Im sorry I started such a heated debate...lol.
You didn't start it...some people are just like that.
All you really need is the one I showed unless you have different bikes with different sizes, and a cresent wrench like already stated. Its not that complicated, gets the job done, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

V

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a heads up guys you might want to check with your local dealer for the axle removal tool. I got one at my local guy for $23 no shipping. But that was over a year ago and with the economy and all who knows.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ok the rear tire is a sinch. (I've done it my self)

but the front tire... do you have to loosen the pinch bolts then start turning the 20mm hex? the pinch bolts hold the 20mm hex bolt in place?

·
5,547 Posts
OH yea...so the special tool is for the front correct? And teh rear only requires the 32mm? Including the other tools for the other things, thats the not so common tool....?
Correct:cheers

·
5,547 Posts
sheesh guys, Im sorry I started such a heated debate...lol. Thanx to ALL of ya for the input. The tool that you show rocket is the exact one I was lookin for, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. So, now its off to do some shoppin! yay for me!! :boink
Glad I could help, your welcome:cheers

1 - 20 of 57 Posts