Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of front wheel bearings on my 96' CBR900RR desintegrated the oyher day. When I took the wheel off the bearings just fell out on one side. Now I can't get the old, outer race out. It's stuck!! Has anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Most wheel bearings, especially older ones will need a puller. They are a pretty tough press fit in those bores. You may have to take your wheel into the shop unless you want to buy the tool, which can be pretty expensive. If you live in Phoenix, I could do it for you.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Cant you get in with a punch and knock out the other bearing then flip the wheel over and knock the outer race out. I would replace both wheel bearings if were doing it. You might try cutting the race in two with a cutoff wheel. Be carefull, you'll have to use a stone type wheel as the races are hardened and most metal tools wont touch them..

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I would strongly not recommend getting any kind of grinder or wheel any where near your wheel. Seeing as how having a wheel fail could have deadly results. Any bike shop should take the bearing out for free or for very little money if you have the wheel in hand. It only takes like 3 minutes with the proper tool. Using a punch can be risky, especially if the bearing gets cocked in it's bore. You need to take a good amount of caution to keep from damaging your hubs. Remember, you are only on two wheels, if one goes out, I hope you know how to park your 12 o clocks, or else you are going down.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
As with any kind of work on wheels common sense prevails. I've cut races before to get them out when I don't have a press handy. Same with using a punch to knock out the old bearings. One would really have to grind deep and hard in order to damage a wheel enough to cause a failure.. One only has to take time and use caution.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
While you may have to grind deep and hard to actually damage the wheel, a damaged bore for the bearing race could possibly cause accelerated wear on the bearing and leave it more prone to failure. If you dont have the tool or a shop accessible, use a little bit of heat from a propane torch or something and heat up the hub around the race. Then use a punch LIGHTLY from the other side. Make sure you punch all the way around the bearing using smaller taps to avoid damaging the hub.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I've always punched from the other side with a hammer and punch. I got a slide hammer but most oif the races are too small to get a good grab on. Spraying with the liquid from computer cleaner or anything else aerasol that comes out freezing cold will cool it and make it a little easier to remove cause it will shrink up. If you take the loose rim into the shop they shouldn't get any more than half hours labor to do it, maybe free if you got the bearings from them. Around here they usually have to order the bearing so i just go to an industrial supply house and get mine. Usually cheaper there too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As others have mentioned, bearings are tough to get out. I've had good luck using a drift punch and hammer. You simply hammer it out from the back.

Bearing removal can be tricky and it's possible to damage the wheel. Next time I remove a bearing, if it doesn't come out in the first five minutes, i'm just taking it to a mechanic.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Autozone rents tools at most locations, and the rental is free...you just pay for the tool...then when you bring it back, they reimburse the full amount. In my area, Autozone rents a pilot bearing puller, which is basically a slide hammer with an attachment on the end that has two hooks that spread inside the bearing. Once the hooks are in place, a couple of whacks on the slide hammer and the bearing pops right out. The new bearing can be driven in with the correct driver and a hammer. My front wheel recently developed a "squeak" or "chirp" after I replaced the front tire. I pulled the whole wheel back off, lubed everything really well, then put it all back together. The noise is gone.

·
Registered
340 Posts
freeky929 said:
Autozone rents tools at most locations, and the rental is free...you just pay for the tool...then when you bring it back, they reimburse the full amount. In my area, Autozone rents a pilot bearing puller, which is basically a slide hammer with an attachment on the end that has two hooks that spread inside the bearing. Once the hooks are in place, a couple of whacks on the slide hammer and the bearing pops right out. The new bearing can be driven in with the correct driver and a hammer.QUOTE]

+1

In my area PepBoys rents tools also. I normally use a piece of brass bar and knock it out from the back.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had that happen on my old F2. Took a grinder to it and ground the inner race after trying for an hour to tap it out with a punch. The bearings are a sealed set, so tapping out normally wouldn't be a problem, but with nothing to tap against it's a PITA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts