Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your sport-touring set up look like? Show us what you're using for luggage and what bike you have.

Here's my Busa with Tour Master SB-34 saddle bags and my buddies tank bag (I forget what brand). I really need to break down and get my own magnetic tank bag soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to use saddlebags, but I hated the fact that they rested on the pipe. So now I just strap either a tail bag or big gym bag to the pillion seat. Tank bag is great for long highway miles...great to rest your chin on! I've got to figure out a way to easily mount my camera where I can get to it easily...was thinking of velcroing it to the tank or something. Oh, and I bought a GPS this year...last year it was past midnight, pouring rain, and on the highway with no street lights with transport truck blowing by you at 140km trying to find the hotel. Never again...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
can't find my pre-cross-country trip pics.

i have rka luggage

pretty much these saddle bags, 33li, and all black

tail-bag 27 li

and a Hondaline mag. tank bag.

i'd recommend all the stuff.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm using Tourmaster Cortech gear at the moment. Tank and tail, saddle bags on order.

I wish I had the money to go all out with a Givi hard bag system.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My brother and I spent last weekend at Townsend, TN. and rode to Deal's Gap, NC. I just packed my hiking back back and used my bungee net to secure it to the rear of my seat. I do plan to get a tankbag next month to supplement my backpack......

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Just thought I would tell everyone to be VERY careful with those bags mounted on your rear seats. Two weeks ago, a buddy of mine and his wife were on their way back to Tennessee from a concert in Alabama. My buddy rides a ZX-9R and his wife rides a ZX-6R. They were coming up I-65 doing about 85 MPH and and her soft bag came loose from the rear seat and got sucked up into the rear tire. The tire locked up at 85 MPH and the resulting accident was terrible. She was wearing gear, and only suffered very minor injury. She walked away from the accident. The bike was a total loss. They still have not figured out how the bag came loose from the seat. I will try to get some pics, but just make sure those bags are tied down well.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
freeky929 said:
Just thought I would tell everyone to be VERY careful with those bags mounted on your rear seats. Two weeks ago, a buddy of mine and his wife were on their way back to Tennessee from a concert in Alabama. My buddy rides a ZX-9R and his wife rides a ZX-6R. They were coming up I-65 doing about 85 MPH and and her soft bag came loose from the rear seat and got sucked up into the rear tire. The tire locked up at 85 MPH and the resulting accident was terrible. She was wearing gear, and only suffered very minor injury. She walked away from the accident. The bike was a total loss. They still have not figured out how the bag came loose from the seat. I will try to get some pics, but just make sure those bags are tied down well.
good point!
it's important to check the security of the load often... a good habit is to load everything up and ride for 15 or 20 miles and stop & just check it again.

glad she's ok.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Jackal79 said:
Just me, my bike and a backpack. No need to bring 200lbs of trash with me on a trip.
Sometimes 200 lbs. of trash is necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RKA mag bag on the tank, and RKA Sport saddlebags. I only need to drag 200lbs of stuff if my wife comes along, and she is 125lbs of it :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here's the TT loaded for a 2 week trip. The throw-over panniers are Triumph-badged, not sure who makes their luggage. They include plastic panels which attach to your rear fairings to prevent rubbing/scratching. They're expandable, but even on this trip I didn't have to expand them. I can't imagine needing that much gear. The built-in rain flys worked great - rode in the rain from Des Moines IA to Chicago IL with no seepage.

The tank bag is also Triumph badged and expandable with a clear map top. Too bad it's not magnetic - the harness is kind of a PITA to apply/remove. Works well though - you can unbuckle the rear of the bag and lift it up to refuel - no need to remove the bag or the harness. Once again, the built-in rain fly did it's job wonderfully.

The yellow bag on the pillion seat is just a generic dry-bag used for canoing, etc. I used nylon straps to secure it to the throw-over panniers. Worked fine, bone dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Im jealous of everyone posting in this thread. It must be great going on long trips. I really miss the open roads of Oregon. Alas Hawaii is not known for its miles of deserted road. :(

·
Registered
569 Posts
Kastivich said:
Im jealous of everyone posting in this thread. It must be great going on long trips. I really miss the open roads of Oregon. Alas Hawaii is not known for its miles of deserted road. :(
...and that is why I could never live in Hawaii. I'm sure it's a beautiful place, but with so little to see (relatively speaking) it would seem to get boring to me pretty quick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ill get pics up later, but my super sweet sport touring set up consists of my r6, with the tail taken off so i can tie stuff down better, a tank bag, a trash back that holds my tent and sleeping bag strapped to the rear seat, my jansport backpack from 6th grade strapped to the top of the tent/sleeping bag, and then two gas cans strapped to rest on the rear foot pegs. this is sort of a joke, but not really, i just did 3700 miles in a bit less than 4 days on that setup, and the two middle days were quite leisurely really. ill post pics later

·
Registered
17 Posts
2 pc aerostich suit, widder electric gloves and vest, alpinestar gore-tex boots, garmin 76s map, eclipse tank bag and tail pack.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts