Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to some oldie Dire Straits albums.. Specifically the last 2 minutes of "Tunnel of Love".. that guitar still gives me goosepimples it's so damn good. David Gilmour at the end of the original (Pink Floyd) "Comfortable Numb" is another favourite.. Just love these long guitar solos. Are there good bands these days that even compare to that?? Share please! :twofinger

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Pinkus Floydus, Groupus Maximus. Gilmour is a genius.

Ted Nugent. Not only a guitar god, but a role model.

Of course there is the shred gods like
Joe Satriani (in the CD player at this moment in fact)
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson

Damageplan- Dimebag Darrell's new band, of course Pantera from days gone by.
Ozzy- From Tony Iommi to Randy Rhoads to Zakk Wylde, Ozzy has always had the talent behind him.
Old metallica- back when they had testicles, few people could touch Kirk Hammett
Megadeth- Dave Mustaine played better wasted on heroin than most players can accomplish bone sober.
Yngwie Malmsteen- a technical wizard that did the G3 tour with Satch and Vai last year. Amazing stuff.
Dream Theater- John Pertucci is another G3 veteran.
Judas Priest- KK Downing and Glenn Tipton embodied metal guitar for years with the two guitar attack.
Early KISS- Ace was a freak, but he could tear the strings off a Les Paul.

Beyond those, it's just guitarists that excel within the band. The Kerry King/ Jeff Hanneman combo of Slayer. That type of thing. Under rated was Chris Holmes of WASP. They did some great stuff but were left behind by the hair bands.

Attachments

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
^^^^What he said^^^^...............You sir have the same taste in music as I.

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Paige

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,
I love that picture! I tried long and hard to find a good one, now I have this one as desktop image.. the best I could find. The Wall was my introduction to Pink Floyd, I was in high-school by then and the whole break-dance music thing was hot in school... It was the first time I heard such deepness in the track, it totally blew me away.. always noticed some new details in the songs. After listening to just about everything from Pink Floyd, The Wall and Animals became my favourites.. Wish you Were Here in third place.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
If you're looking for feeling, Savatage is a classic band to check out.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
led zeppelin has one of the best guitar solos i have ever heard in "a whole lotta love" ? i think? My fav bands are radiohead, tool, pink floyd, led zeppelin....yeahh...oh yeah i also love my ipod (i make sweet sweet love to every night ? )

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
A guitar driven band????. Older stuff for me like Boston. Awesome guitar sound Tom has. They sound great live as well..

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
A few that come to mind:

Pink Floyd (I know already mentioned but what can you say?)
Yes (not strictly a guitar band but how can you ignore that guitar?)
King Crimson
Allman Brothers (Especially when Duanne was still alive)
Rush
Return to Forever
Brand X
ZZ Top
Climax Blues Band
Dire Straight

Too many other to mention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts