Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't the mods permaban IP addresses or something?

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Every time you see one of those threads, there's a mod that did a perma ban on that user and their IP address. But whoever is behind all the threads apparently has a sh*t ton of IP addresses, 'cuz they keep appearing every day :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It won't be worth their time to register and post links if people never clicked them.

On that note, is there no forum setting that stops new members from posting clickable urls?

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Every time you see one of those threads, there's a mod that did a perma ban on that user and their IP address. But whoever is behind all the threads apparently has a sh*t ton of IP addresses, 'cuz they keep appearing every day :(
When I was with HughesNet, they had thousands of rolling IP addresses. Every time you logged on, you had a different IP.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
It won't be worth their time to register and post links if people never clicked them.

On that note, is there no forum setting that stops new members from posting clickable urls?
That's what I thought too but the fucker is persistent.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts

I can turn on new user moderation, but that makes more work for the mods (and work that can't be done from a smart phone) and makes it inconvenient and annoying for legitimate new users - which would aggravate the other thing people are complaining about right now, lack of traffic.

I know the spam is not what anyone comes here to see, but honestly, this is the mods' problem. We keep up with it the best we can, often with the help of reported posts, which we appreciate. Is it really that big a deal?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Only as annoying as getting Rick rolled when I want to see a new movie preview or gameplay from the new MW on youtube.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Are you getting Rick Rolled by the spam here? I wasn't aware of that, I never click on spam. I just assume it can come to no good and avoid it. :lol

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Lol, no. I am only fooled by a few of the thread titles, but never click the links inside. They are pretty obvious.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I dont think its too back. Our local sportbike forum was getting 100-300 spam accounts everyday. We had one massive wave that did 700+ over 2 days. They were all some bot program. Went right through our registration process like a hot knife through butter. We finally were able to upgrade anf stopped it. But holy shit :(

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts