Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know it all depends on the kid / person and your riding experiance, but I'm looking for straight numbers, What is the youngest person you taken for a ride on your bike, and how fast did you go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't like to see them on at all, but if they do, they should at least be able to reach the pegs.

I was the first car to pull up on a wreck where a guy was giving his kid a nice Sunday ride down the road. They were both laying in the street. I thought it was a dog and that the bike hit the dog, Turned out to be a little kid and I had to watch them trying to revive him. Didn't even bother with the adult. Needless to say, neither of them made it.

Don't like kids on bikes, no I don't.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
kids on bikes on the road is crazy but i don't see anything wrong with them on bikes in the dirt...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have no problems with kids on dirtbikes. Start them as soon as they can stay on two wheels, if they want.

But, I get pissed when I see kids without seatbelts, let alone on the back of a bike with usually nothing but a helmet on.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
gixernut said:
I have no problems with kids on dirtbikes. Start them as soon as they can stay on two wheels, if they want.

But, I get pissed when I see kids without seatbelts, let alone on the back of a bike with usually nothing but a helmet on.
agreed....
i actually saw one chick drinking and driving with her kid in the car - saw the kid get mom a beer outta the cooler...kid was about 8 or 9.. i slowed down and followed until the state police showed up and pulled her ass over...

·
Registered
210 Posts
badgixxer said:
agreed....
i actually saw one chick drinking and driving with her kid in the car - saw the kid get mom a beer outta the cooler...kid was about 8 or 9
Yipee, we agree! :banana :banana

There would have been steam coming out of my ears, if I saw that. I'd make some remarks through the windows, but usually where I'm driving and I see that, it's not the smartest thing to do. So, I just crank up my music and press on. :fiddy

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I let my 6 year old ride on the bike every now and then. We always stay in town never go past 25mph because there is a red light every block. I will also take him around the park on it since the speed limit is only 15mph.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
dennisred69 said:
I let my 6 year old ride on the bike every now and then. We always stay in town never go past 25mph because there is a red light every block. I will also take him around the park on it since the speed limit is only 15mph.
knowing what i know of you - i don't have anything bad or mean to say - DAMN IT ab=nother opportunity missed.... :eek:nfloor

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
I started riding as a passenger when I was 6, as soon as I could reach the pegs on my dad's Sportster. I was always fine because my dad didn't drink and ride then and was an experienced, responsible rider. I guess I would say it depends on the kid AND the parent. He doesn't take my little brother (9 yrs old) much at all because he tends to fall asleep on the back and there's just a teeny-tiny little backrest. He doesn't want the kid falling of, so he just takes him around town and back home.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My step daughter is 8 and Dan will ride her around the neighborhood as long as she has her gear on. There is no way either one of us would take her on the street. It is too dangerous for us to be out there, and even though we risk ourselves we would never risk a child.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 10yo daughter and she made it clear she didn't want any part of the bike, Now I also have a son that's 4 and I know he'll be chewing my ear off to go, My daughter I would but not my son not for a long time,

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
OK, I'll be the non-politically correct one here...I take both of my daughters for rides regularly. Have done so since they were 3 years old...My 7 year old goes for trips of up to 100 miles with me...she knows and understands finding lines and sitting still...I have special gear I strap them on the bike and to me with...they won't fall off unless I do too. My 7 year old is looking at starter bikes now. As with anything else...the more you try to hide from them thinking you are protecting them...the more they seek it out...And I would rather they learn the truth from me instead of the BS from out behind the barn smoking cigars...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I will take my little sister for a ride every once in a while shes 10 y/o. When I do she is wearing a helmet, Jacket with padding, gloves, jeans, and over the ankle boots (timberlands).... We always go over the rules before we ride and she can actually repeat them all to me. She loves riding with me. We will normally go around some back roads not too fast.. Pretty much riding the speed limit.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
sdexcalibur said:
OK, I know it all depends on the kid / person and your riding experiance, but I'm looking for straight numbers, What is the youngest person you taken for a ride on your bike, and how fast did you go.
It depends on the kid/Person, the rider, gear, environment, and type of ride.

So why did you ask what you already knew?

There are adults I wouldn't allow in the back of my bike, and 8 year olds that I'll take for a slow ride around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As stated in the post I wanted just ages and speed. A simple "I took a four year old for a ride and went 25 mph" would of been just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts