Sport Bikes banner

whats the trick(front wheel removal)

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
Anyone ever pull the front wheel off, is it just a matter of finding a huge allen key for the front axle rod. the bike is a TT600

#2 ·
the answer is yes. the allen key is usually about as big as they come. A solid investment, however.

On your bike, i forget how big it is... (same as on my bike, so you'd think i'd know... but i'm missing my bolt...)

Call the triumph dealer, they'll let you know...

But yeah- take off brake calipers (support them somehow so they're not hanging by the lines, i tape them to the handlebars...), find allen key for axle bolt, and then undo the pinch bolts on the forks, then find something kinda soft (like a piece of wood) to pound out the axle if it's stuck a bit.

Oh yeah- you gotta support it off the ground, too... if you dont have a set of stands that goes into the bottom of the front forks, they're a solid investment....

:)

#4 ·
I just had my wheels off my 929 this past winter and didn't need a giant allen for it. Although the axle does have a hex "head" on it, you don't really need something to fit in that spot. I was able to loosen the bolt on the other side of the axle as opposed to finding a giant allen. When you loosen the pinch bolts at the bottom of the forks, it'll make it [relatively] easy for the axle to bang out. Like KevinWilly said, a piece of wood or something similar will make it easy to knock 'er around.

#5 ·
dmantt600 said:
Anyone ever pull the front wheel off, is it just a matter of finding a huge allen key for the front axle rod. the bike is a TT600
My Kawasaki had the tool in the tool kit. My Yamaha didn't have the tool. It wasn't available at Sears. I think they went up to 17mm and it was a 19mm. You can find the tool on ebay or you can make one with a nut and bolt of the correct size and some Loctite or a welder.

#6 ·
likebikes said:
My Kawasaki had the tool in the tool kit. My Yamaha didn't have the tool. It wasn't available at Sears. I think they went up to 17mm and it was a 19mm. You can find the tool on ebay or you can make one with a nut and bolt of the correct size and some Loctite or a welder.
With Yamaha bikes you can use a spark plug socket. Just put the back side into the hex hole and then put an extension through the spark plug socket. :cheers

For my GSXR I use an Oxygen Sensor socket placed in backwards.

G
#9 ·
ajohn505 said:
That tool is an excellent idea :). Incidentally, how do you hook a wrench up to it?
Don't have one myself, but it looks like you use a socket on the side opposite your axle. That way you can torque it.
I personally use a nut welded to an old socket for mine. Total cost was about .50c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.