Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.. How has everyone been?
Got a question.

yzf -R6 /R1
cbr -600RR / 600R
zx-10R
gsx -R
ducati 999R

Friend of mine asked.... What does the "R" mean?

Thanks :cheers
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it? That sux.. thought it would be something creative.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I don't think it officially means anything. But the racing is implied.

For that matter, what does FZ mean... Friendly Zoomer?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
On the CBR 600RR it means Race Ready
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
PatMatrick said:
On the CBR 600RR it means Race Ready
Honda just gets silly with the number of "R's". One of these days they are going to offer a model simply called RRRRRRRR. :)

Now... for a real brain teaser, try to crack to code on Harley-Davidson model names. They actually attempt to have the letters mean the same thing; but there are exceptions in there to keep you on your toes.
 

· Squidtastical
Joined
·
349 Posts
Harley model designations are a sequence of letters and numbers, combined in limited ways. The sequences can be long, as in the 2006 model designation FLHTCUSE.

The first letter is one of the following:

F (Big Twin), M (Military), X (Sportster), or V (VRSC)
Letters are appended singly or in pairs, as follows:

B (Belt Drive), C (Classic or Custom), D (Dyna Glide), DG (Disk Glide), E (Electric start), F (Fat Boy (1990-present) or Foot-shift (1972 and prior)), H (High compression), L (Hydra Glide forks), LR (Low Rider), P (Police), R (Race or Rubber-mount), S (Sport or Springer), SB (Single belt final drive), ST (Softail), T (Touring), WG (Wide Glide), I (Fuel injection), SE (Screamin’ Eagle), U (Ultra)
Custom Vehicle Operations models can also have a number (2,3,4) added.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
The meaning for the "R" first originated back in the 1500's when pirates ruled the seas.

They would call their ships accordingly with the R afterwards such as, FairladyR, and HellshipR, basically a short form for their phrase "Arrrrrrrr!"

Later in the 20th century America brought this back, but used if for automobiles, hence the "R" on the ending of a lot of car and motorcycle models
 

· Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Hippie said:
That's it? That sux.. thought it would be something creative.
I'm just shocked you couldnt figure that out yourself. R=race.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
TeXas_RsX said:
The meaning for the "R" first originated back in the 1500's when pirates ruled the seas.

They would call their ships accordingly with the R afterwards such as, FairladyR, and HellshipR, basically a short form for their phrase "Arrrrrrrr!"

Later in the 20th century America brought this back, but used if for automobiles, hence the "R" on the ending of a lot of car and motorcycle models
 

· BIRDMAN
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
Harley model designations are a sequence of letters and numbers, combined in limited ways. The sequences can be long, as in the 2006 model designation FLHTCUSE.

The first letter is one of the following:

F (Big Twin), M (Military), X (Sportster), or V (VRSC)
Letters are appended singly or in pairs, as follows:

B (Belt Drive), C (Classic or Custom), D (Dyna Glide), DG (Disk Glide), E (Electric start), F (Fat Boy (1990-present) or Foot-shift (1972 and prior)), H (High compression), L (Hydra Glide forks), LR (Low Rider), P (Police), R (Race or Rubber-mount), S (Sport or Springer), SB (Single belt final drive), ST (Softail), T (Touring), WG (Wide Glide), I (Fuel injection), SE (Screamin’ Eagle), U (Ultra)
Custom Vehicle Operations models can also have a number (2,3,4) added.
Which is why Harley's suck. New models are the same bike with another letter thrown in representing some bit that really changes nothing.
R=Race RR= double race RRR=triple race
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
Let's not forget the drivers that feel the need to put the letter R all over their 110 hp 2500lb civics. I heard if you put enough "Type-R" stickers on your car it will gain a few horses.

Perhaps the R's stand for Rice?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top