Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious because I got pulled over today for riding with one hand. I had just come off a nice twisty run and was on a straight 45 mph local rd. My clutch hand was sore so I was riding with my right hand and let go with my left and was shaking it to loosen it up. I went by a cop and he turned around and turned on the lights. He pulled me over and asked if I knew why. It never crossed my mind that it was for riding with one hand. He only gave me a warning but told me he could have cited me for reckless driving which I guess I can see because I was not in complete control should an emergency arrived. Just seemed like a silly reason to do a u turn and pull me over. This ever happen to anyone else? Any other good ticket stories?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I'd have to cry completely bullshit on that and claim the officer was just looking to nail you. It's not illegal to operate a car with only one hand on the wheel. I can't imagine taking a hand off the bars is illegal, either. Maybe one of our resident police officers can clarify this for everyone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like the cop just wanted to check if you had a cycle endorsement and if you were legal. They always find some stupid reason to make the stop legal in case they do write you up for something.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was changing lanes once and turned my head over my shoulder to check the lane. I had an old hand-me-down Vetter helmet that the visor would work loose and the wind would catch it and flip it up when I turned my head.

A cop saw this and pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no eye protection. It was reduced to no points and a $15 fine for "defective equipment" This was 18 years ago! Damn I'm old. I think that was the first time I was ever pulled over. That was the beginning of many times being pulled over.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow, that's dumb. I rode past a cop yesterday with just one hand on the clip-ons and he just smiled and waived.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Reckless for one handed driving?? I dont think. 45 mph on straight road would hardly qualify as reckless. Now driving 150 mph with one hand would.. They always threaten that wreckless driving bullshit for stupid stuff. Alot of factors need to taken into consideration before a wreckless citation would hold up in court...

·
What are you looking at?
64 Posts
If not having both hands on the bars at all time were illegal, that would mean everyone that ever waved at another rider had broken the law. Maybe that's why motorcycle cops never wave back?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Which, brings me to another thought... It is legal and required to display proper hand signals to turn on both bicycles and motorcycles not equipped without illuminated turning lamps. If it were illegal to take your hands off the bar, you wouldn't be able to "signal left" or "signal right", by using your arm/hand and forming the traditional hand signals...as required by law. Call the city attorney and get a definitive ruling on the letter of the law.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've ridden by cop cars with one hand, and I've been riding with one hand and waved to motorcycle cops, and they've waved back, sometimes. I think that cop, like the majority (not all, just a lot) is a bastard! :lame

·
Registered
912 Posts
i got a ticket for going 5 over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard about tickets being handed out for riding one-handed. Frankly, it's total bullshit that the law thinks it's ok for car drivers to drive one-handed and not motorcycle riders. Where's the pic of the guy dragging knee one-handed when you need it....

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I got pulled over for no reason what so ever. The cop pulled me over and said they had a call from someone saying I was doing weelies down a heavily trafficed road. Umm... No. I was actually getting my hair cut, then was going back home.

Turns out, they just wanted to pull me over to see if I would admit to doing weelies. But, since I am not into stunting, I stuck to my guns and said, "well, you got the wrong guy officer."

No warning, no ticket. Just a waste of 25 minutes... And 3 cop cars that could have been policing the streets for people who actually break the law.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
lets see, well it has to be when I got pulled over the 1st time that night for going down Hwy 100 in West Allias Wi more then once. I was looking for someone, didnt find then, and when I turned around at "Red Carpet Lanes" (ppl in Milwaukee will know what that is) to head back to Greenfield, I was pulled over by a West Allis cop and issued a ticket for curising. HAHA! at MY age. Cruising... blah! not even 3 mins. later I was pulled over AGAIN by a West Allis cop for having, at the time, a yellow sheild on my helmet. When I pointed out to the occifer that Yellow sheilds, just like the yellow specks he had on, were made for night riding, I asked him if there was a way for the public to issue a citation for the same reasons he was issuing me one. Since he had yellow specks on. He asked if I was being sarcastic, of course I was, sorta, and decided to issue me another ticket for my plate light, which I didnt even notice was out. So safice it to say, West Allis Cops suck :boid Glad Im out of Wisconsin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol I never even thought about waving. I wave to every bike I see. He asked to see my license and registration so maybe he just wanted an excuse to pull me over since I was with a couple other riders. Maybe because I was shaking my hand trying to loosen it up. Who knows...at least I did not get a ticket

·
Registered
169 Posts
TheWraith said:
I'd have to cry completely bullshit on that and claim the officer was just looking to nail you. It's not illegal to operate a car with only one hand on the wheel. I can't imagine taking a hand off the bars is illegal, either. Maybe one of our resident police officers can clarify this for everyone.

I can see this at an NHRA race or Street Legals race day or XMRA races. It's clearly in the rules.

On the street, I see some of our finest's motor officers doing the one hand thing. Interesting to research.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
In defense of the officer in the first post, it is highly likely that he had never ridden a motorcycle before. At first glance, it really would look dangerous to someone who is not familiar with bikes.
If this should ever happen to anyone again, question them on whether or not they are familiar with bikes in the least.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in PA but have a friend in NJ thats a police officer. I called him up and he said that while it is not illegal to ride with one hand but they can pull you over if they feel you are not in control of your vehicle...In his opinion it was probably a bored rookie officer who wanted to pull over a sportbike.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
qwik huh said:
I live in PA but have a friend in NJ thats a police officer. I called him up and he said that while it is not illegal to ride with one hand but they can pull you over if they feel you are not in control of your vehicle...In his opinion it was probably a bored rookie officer who wanted to pull over a sportbike.

Not illegal in Cali..........But it does involve whether the rider is demonstrating control of the vehicle though.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts