Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Premed
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new sprocket chain kit before Saturday, for my first trackday. The manual says I need a 525 chain and sprocket kit. Yet online I find these 520 kits. Can I buy a 520 kit for the f4i or do I need to get a 525 ? Knee draggers has the 520 one for like 160.(rk chain + vortex sprockets). Whatya think ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
The pitch on the chain itself. The 525 is more durability. Just make sure to get the X-Ring
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
They just put the wrong box in the pix on kneedraggers is all.

Go with the DiD. I have it and never had a problem. :cheers
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
E-mail the guy (Phil) on this site: http://www.thrustcompany.com/ . This guy is absolutely awesome. I got the 520 conversion for my SV for $130. Ordered it and 3 days later i had it. Plus, he can do ANY ratio you want (he makes his sprockets...does lots of work for stunt teams and racers). Great quality stuff as well. Check him out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
520 chains and sprockets are lighter than 525's or 530's. you'll drop some rotating weight and 'free up' some HP to the tires.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
BlazenFire said:
hmm cool..Ill check it out. I dont know..never heard of these guys before...
You won't be sorry if you deal with them. He does a lot of selling on ebay under the name motoheaven. Ebay is actually where i found out about him and bought from him. His other website is http://www.moto-heaven.com/ .
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
If you use your bike a lot you should stick to the 525. The difference in weight in between a 520 and 525 is almost insignificant. The hp gain from reducing the rotational weight from a 525 to 520 is next to nothing. I say stick to the 525 and enjoy the longevility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,682 Posts
TTsixxer said:
If you use your bike a lot you should stick to the 525. The difference in weight in between a 520 and 525 is almost insignificant. The hp gain from reducing the rotational weight from a 525 to 520 is next to nothing. I say stick to the 525 and enjoy the longevility.
+1 Unless you've got money to burn, this racer's trick will do little for your street ride.
 

·
The Premed
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do ride a lot. I got this bike last June and put about 6k miles on it( 90% of it is Sunday Rides). Not looking for any advantage in terms of horsepower and weight, so I guess I shld stick with 525 huh. Thanks for the info
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
TTsixxer said:
If you use your bike a lot you should stick to the 525. The difference in weight in between a 520 and 525 is almost insignificant. The hp gain from reducing the rotational weight from a 525 to 520 is next to nothing. I say stick to the 525 and enjoy the longevility.
Not necesarily. The weight gain was a pound on my sv. While that doesn't sound like much, is worth more than 10 pounds anywhere else on the bike (anything non rotating). On my sv, i went from 12.90 in the 1/4, to 12.56, and picked up 5 mph as well.

However, since you're not looking for any gain in HP, there really is no other gain. Stick with 525.
 

·
voted for an American
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Not necesarily. The weight gain was a pound on my sv. While that doesn't sound like much, is worth more than 10 pounds anywhere else on the bike (anything non rotating). On my sv, i went from 12.90 in the 1/4, to 12.56, and picked up 5 mph as well.

However, since you're not looking for any gain in HP, there really is no other gain. Stick with 525.
The SV comes with a 525 stock? .4 of a sec less and 5 more mph sounds a bit far fetched for just switching to a 520 chain. Where the conditions the same when you made those runs? Ambient temperature/humidity/barometric pressure can do wonders on the 1/4 mile et.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
i believe that when looking at chains, the numbers tell you everything. its like the 5 is the distance between the rollers, and then the next two numbers are the distance between the plates. so both a 520 and a 530 are the same space between where the pins, or rollers are, and the 520 has closer spacing between the plates than the 530. i can't remember all the specifics.

matt
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
TTsixxer said:
The SV comes with a 525 stock? .4 of a sec less and 5 more mph sounds a bit far fetched for just switching to a 520 chain. Where the conditions the same when you made those runs? Ambient temperature/humidity/barometric pressure can do wonders on the 1/4 mile et.
Well, i did add a slip-on (M4) at the same time, but without a re-map. With the pipe, the bike actually felt worse below 6k and the same above. Temps were within 5 degrees, dunno about the rest. Slip-on may have helped some, but i doubt it by itself did .44 either.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
jim schmidt said:
As noted, the difference between a 525 and 520 chain (100 links) is about 3/10 lb.
Correct, but if you switch to a rear aluminum sprocket, weight savings are much better. As i stated previously, doing the conversion (with aluminum rear) saved me 1 pound (well, 15 ounces to be exact). Ask any professional drag racer, reducing rotating weight (wheels, brakes, etc etc) makes a huge difference.

To state another example, a buddy of mine had a 97 Mustang GT...bone stock except gearing. He had Cobra R (17 inch) rims on it and ran a best of 14.5 on street tires, and 14.0 on slicks. Switching to pro stars (LITE drag wheels), he went 13.7 on street tires. This was with NO other changes.

Lighter is always better, but more so in the chain/sprocket and wheel area.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top