Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know theres at least a few people on here who don't mind riding in the winter.
But how cold does it get in your area? Also, what kind of gear do you wear?

·
Registered
389 Posts
-9.4 degrees (-23C) on a great sunny winter day :lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
bluevfr said:
-9.4 degrees (-23C) on a great sunny winter day :lol
shit, thats insane. coldest for me was around 25 F. wore jeans with thermals, shorts, and fannels underneath. leather work boots with at least 2 pairs of socks. wore JR ballistic jacket with thermals, 2 t-shirts, and a hoodie underneath. still a cold ride

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I don't care to ride in the winter. I like riding curvy roads and I hear that the tires can give out easy in the cold. It gets pretty cold in MD. I can ride until early October and come back in late March. Not too bad.

So the answer to your question - about 55 degrees.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
God, living in Wisconsin for 10 yrs even summer was cold. ;) I remember one day that I became so itchy to go out on the bike, it was April and it started at 45* then by 3 o 'clock it was down to 30*. But I do have an electric vest. It helped a little, but my hands were forzen and so were my feet

thats what happneds when your couped up for 8 months of winter....

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
around freezing........w/ the proper gear it can be really nice..........

·
Registered
646 Posts
Crap, it must have been around 70deg. Doesnt sound too bad, but it was at night and the wind was crazy...must have made it down to 63 deg real-feel. Perf. leathers made it worse.
Haha, I hate cold weather!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
On the street, around 30 . I have insulated riding pants that you could explore the Arctic Circle in. I also have some regular boots that are good for cold weather and then just several layers under my Spidi Parsek jacket.
Off road I have ridden under 0. I just put my insulated suit and a face mask under the helmet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
30 degrees Fahrenheit. As many others have already stated; the main concern is the road and how difficult it is to keep from sliding. I found myself in this situation many times, once where I was about to go in to a rotary, I started to apply pressure to both brakes, but the bike decided that it wanted to go sideways. I just applied a little more pressure and eventually came to a stop, kind of a hair raising experience. . :hshot

·
Registered
461 Posts
CasterTroy said:
I don't ride under freezing......not because it's too cold, but because there always seems to be some moisture on some roads that freezes over and makes for a nice surprise....not willing to take that chance

+1

I ride as far into November as I can but usually the bikes are winterized from Dec to late February.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The coldest I have ever been out was around 30F. I wore long underwear, jeans, two sweatshirts and a big jacket. My hands were the only thing that got cold. The biggest problem was anytime I would stop I would completely fog over my shield.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
5 or 6 but when you only have a bike to get to work you do what you have to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
About 20 degrees or so. The streets were clear, but the parking lots were packed snow. Not much fun - my rear end was all over the place.

Thankfully, I'd had some snow riding experience early on. When the snow was deep enough to cancel school, me and my brother would take the dirt bike out to play....who knows what temps we were riding in then!

My coldest RIDE, however, was a 2 hour ride home at night with 40 degree temps. I had on a fleece top under my riding suit, but it wasn't enough. I can't recall having been THAT cold before or since.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Sub zero freezing in snow in past years. Ridden to school in freezing temps fairly often in NH. Got stuck with snow a few times and had to ride with my feet down like out-r******. NEVER crashed in the snow either. Darn near had frostbite, but never went down.
Since then, usually not below the 20's. Try not to ride in anything too cold because of all the metal crap in my knee.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
It dosen't ever get that cold down here :D

My coldest was about 40 degrees, with wind chill of much less...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts