Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really dumb question, but i'm fairly new to the hobby.
When you turn the key to the on position, what is that buzzing noise that happens every time for about 2 seconds?? I think its the fuel pump. I'm having trouble with my bike now and one noticable difference is that noise is not there when I turn the key.
Thanks for your help.
Tim :banana

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Yep, that temporary humming noise is the fuel pump priming. If it's not coming on, it's definitely not gonna start! Could be a number of things... bad pump, kill switch, bank angle sensor, relay, ECM, etc. Time to dig out the service manual and start checking wires :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! one side note......

one other thing happening at the same time is the front lights are.nt coming on. The rear tail light is as bright as the sun but the fronts are dead. the dash blinker, high beam, nuetral, and red malfunction lights all stay on and don,'t go off. starter motor is fine....ever seen this??? :banana

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
sounds like you blew some fuses or popped a relay somewhere. Id start with the fusebox and work up from there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o.k..... thanks 4 the input. I guess I need to get a service manual. All I have is an owners manual. I tried to find one at the book store but to no avail. Saw one online for $25.99. Thanks again.
Tim :cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did and unfortunately they are all o.k....I suspect it is something in the electrical system that the front lights and fuel pump are on together.
Thanks. Tim

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
How about the kill switch? Make sure it's on run, otherwise the fuel pump won't prime and you won't be able to start the engine.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
timf4i said:
one other thing happening at the same time is the front lights are.nt coming on. The rear tail light is as bright as the sun but the fronts are dead. the dash blinker, high beam, nuetral, and red malfunction lights all stay on and don,'t go off. starter motor is fine....ever seen this??? :banana
The high-beam will only light when told to. Make sure the switch on the left clip-on is on if you want the high-beam. Could be a case of double dead bulbs, although rare indeed...

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Once you get it fixed, make sure you don't press the starter until the sound stops...it's bad to start the bike while it's making that noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The kill switch is on and the high beam indicator stays on like the rest wether the switch is on or not. Its like all these lights staying light are trying to tell me something. I'm gonna order a service manual and look it up.
ttThanks. Tim

·
Registered
243 Posts
Make sure your headlight / taillight kill switches are on . . . . oh wait. . nevermind, that's just my f4i . . . :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts