3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entire Front Fairing - Plastic
Front Wheel Fender - Plastic
Tank - Painted
Rear quarters (including the passenger, oh snap! handles) - Painted
Rear side panels - Plastic
Yamaha Chin Fairing - Painted?

The plastic polish I use (Meguiars) states not to get any on paint, so I'm always a bit confused about whether to use it on certain pieces. Also confused about whether I should be waxing the plastic parts or not after I use the polish. Also confused about whether or not Simple Green on the plastics or paint will damage them.

Since we're on the topic, if I spray simple green all over the engine, and hose the whole bike down with the Mr. Clean Autodry stuff... does it actually dry, or should I still be looking to get a leaf blower to dry it out?

What kind of grease do you guys use to lubricate things like the pedals and pegs? Any opinions or tips for rust inhibition?

Sorry, no naked ladies.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
I use Plexus on all plastics and paint. It works great. Spray on and wipe off with a microfiber towel. Buff to a shine. Very easy and very fast. I use white lithium grease in a spray can for pivot points and/or synthetic wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good questions! Being a newbie I am far from being the one to answer them. However, my 2 cents, I myself try to keep it simple. I use an all-purpose polish good for paint & plastic left over from cleaning my truck. I saw an aerosol can in the motorcycle shop that had the same idea. I spray the motor but I dont spray the chain then blow dry it with a blower, then run the motor for any left over moisture. Simple green on the rims. Brasso on the pipes but there has to be something better because I cant get rid of some black spots. WD-40 or lithium lube where needed,(stay away from the brakes). I am sure this is not the best way, but its all I know so far. :cheers :beer

:needpics

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mother's Metal Polish didn't get rid of the black spots for me either, maybe I didn't put enough muscle into it. I ended up just getting the chin fairing, so I don't even have to look at the stupid exhaust headers any more... problem solved. :)

There are plenty of threads around the board about getting the exhaust metals back to polished silver if you search, though.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I use the Mr. Clean. It dries without a problem. It filters out the minerals in the water that leave the water spots.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use Honda silicone polish/cleaner. Cleans everything(wheels, plastic, motor, pipes and windsceen), hurts nothing. Doesn't scratch the windscreen either. Gives it the detailed showroom look.
Try it. :)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Entire Front Fairing - Plastic
Front Wheel Fender - Plastic
Tank - Painted
Rear quarters (including the passenger, oh snap! handles) - Painted
Rear side panels - Plastic
Yamaha Chin Fairing - Painted?

The plastic polish I use (Meguiars) states not to get any on paint, so I'm always a bit confused about whether to use it on certain pieces. Also confused about whether I should be waxing the plastic parts or not after I use the polish. Also confused about whether or not Simple Green on the plastics or paint will damage them.

Since we're on the topic, if I spray simple green all over the engine, and hose the whole bike down with the Mr. Clean Autodry stuff... does it actually dry, or should I still be looking to get a leaf blower to dry it out?

What kind of grease do you guys use to lubricate things like the pedals and pegs? Any opinions or tips for rust inhibition?

Sorry, no naked ladies.
Just wash and run it for a bit doing ummmm say 55 mph:lol that should dry it off.

WD40 on lubrication, but if you want to be adherent to the Yamaha guide to lubrication, follow the manual.:lao I'm still waiting for the naked ladies, by the way!!!:bitchslap

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use Meguiar's NXT wax on the paint and shiny plastic (fairing, front fender, etc.) Meguiar's plastic polish on the windscreen. For the wheels, I use a little Eagle One A2Z wheel cleaner on a toothbrush. Soap and water on a toothbrush for the engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A little tip:

I got all the "just-plastic-parts" clear coated last winter.
It looks much better, not so cheap anymore.
Yes you can polish up the plastic, but it is much easier to maintain with a couple layers of clearcoat.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody verify if the chin fairing is painted or just plastic? Looks kind of painted to me, but I can't really tell for sure.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
flipperMAN said:
Guess a naked photo of me will have to do ;)
Now I'm waiting! Yeesh. You people, promises, promises, promises.

On plastic: Honda spray, Meguilar's plastic cleaner/polish
On paint: Honda spray, soap and Mother's
On grotty metal: Brasso and Gojo. Dish soap concentrate on less grotty metal.

BTW- the plastic polish removed/reduced the scratches on my spare faceshield without any distortion, so I used it on my better one with the same result. I don't think it removes enough material (polishing by hand) to perceptibly change the thickness of the plastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts