Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats safer

What is safer stunting or racing? Now we are going to assume this is in a safe environment like a track or something. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I would say that stunting is just because of the speed factor.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way I said stunting also. Due to the lower speeds.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Stunting has got to be safer. Lower speeds, and there's not 10 guys, trying to get into the same curve at the same time.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yea now they are doing the slow stuff, much more safe.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
def stunting.... kinda of hard to get seriously injured going 5 mph doing a no handed wheelie....

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Are we doing more dangerous or more safely? People are picking stunting because it's "safer"

I'd have to go with racing as being more dangerous. Like someone mentioned, having 10guys go into a corner at 110 is a bit more dangerous

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was supposed to be whats safer. I fixed it thanks Rascus. Now you can ban me for that. LOL.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
dennisred69 said:
It was supposed to be whats safer. I fixed it thanks Rascus. Now you can ban me for that. LOL.

:banned :modownz

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
:popcorn

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
racing is safer b/c if you go down you are enclosed in a cow, w/boots, gloves, helmet etc. Yeah, the slow stunting stuff may be safer b/c it is slower, but once you graduate to high speed shit like skitching or highway standups, etc, a lot of those guys don't seem to wear gear, so that would be less safe. at least at the track, you dont' have a blue haired grandma or some cell phone talking mom in an SUV turning on you like some of the stunnas do. Of course, I could be biased too, but I've tried to wheelie my r1, and I"m not comfortable doing it. I'm much more comfortable starting off a grid w/the front wheel about 2 inches off the ground surrounded by 20 other fools racing toward the same corner dragging body parts around it at 100 mph.

Incidently, I have crashed at the track, never had while trying to wheelie (which I do not do often) and I still say roadracing is safer. :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Racing is safer. All racers wear gear. Almost 99% of the stunt videos I watch have little to no gear on at all. I also think more people stunt on the street than they do in a safe enviroment. Most guys don't set up a race course in their local area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's ridiculous, in no way is stunting remotely as dangerous as racing. I have dropped my stuntbike 10 times learning slow wheelies and just jumped off cause I pulled it up from a stop and never let it get above 5mph or I'd drop it back down. If I were to crash 10 times on the track I'd have some serious injuries.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jiffy said:
Racing is safer. All racers wear gear. Almost 99% of the stunt videos I watch have little to no gear on at all. I also think more people stunt on the street than they do in a safe enviroment. Most guys don't set up a race course in their local area.

Uh, ever heard of TWISTIES?

Stunters don't wear gear because they're in a parking lot when its 100 degrees out and don't want to get heat exhaustion. I wear a helmet and gloves when im stunting. As for highway wheelies, the guys in stunt videos are experts and would rarely loop their bikes unless it's some kind of a freak accident.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Given full gear and a off-the-street environment racing is more dangerous. You can make either racing or stunting more dangerous though by street racing through canyons without a helmet or pulling wheelies through the main drag with sandles and shorts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I chose track racing as less dangerous, but I would say street racing is more dangerous. In the ten years I've been on the road I see it breaking down like this.

People I've known to die in each category:
Track Racing = 0 (and I know people in racing series in several different countries)
Stunting = 1
Street Racing = 2 (plus I can add about 6 more that I was not personally friends of)

I don't want those numbers to get high enough for a statistical analysis, but just judging from logic I think that is a correct order. But like Jackal79 said, each can be made more or less dangerous. For example, if there is no run-off room on a track and 100 riders, then I'd expect the track to be more dangerous, but generally that's not the case.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Racing is safer because I nave NEVER seen stunters performing their stunts in a controlled environment it is always in public.

Even in a controlled environment racers are using the bike for what it was designed for stunters are not.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Meh2u said:
Uh, ever heard of TWISTIES?

Stunters don't wear gear because they're in a parking lot when its 100 degrees out and don't want to get heat exhaustion. I wear a helmet and gloves when im stunting. As for highway wheelies, the guys in stunt videos are experts and would rarely loop their bikes unless it's some kind of a freak accident.

Rarely loop....maybe the "experts" of stunting, but most stunters are far from experts and they loop them constantly. Alot of the vidoes of stunting are the ones where they mess it up and get hurt. Like the classic one of the guy doing a christ on the highway and losing it to the oompha loompa music.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My guess:
Stunting = more frequent but less severe injurys
Racing = less frequent but more severe injurys
This is mostly based on the fact that stunters as a rule it seems wear little or no protection, so a simple fall leads to at least minor injurys and racers are fully suited up. Nothing to back that up, just a guess.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I think it's very circumstantial as to which is safer. In a controlled safe environment with appropriate gear worn by both stunters and racers I would have to lean toward the stunting as being safer. I think there would probably be more wrecks with stunters, but most of the stunts are done at slower speeds and don't involve much turning at higher speeds so the risk of injury if wearing appropriate gear would be less. I do believe your risk of being hit by your own bike in stunting would be somewhat higher though, which could raise the risk of injury. I would imagine wrist and ankle injuries to be the most common injury if a stunter was wearing appropriate gear. Road racers generally don't get hit by their own bike during a wreck, but it does happen. I worked on the M4 Suzuki Team at Daytona this year as a wrench, I met Vincent Haskoveck while working with the team, he is one of the unfortunate ones who later in the season got hit by his own bike while crashing at Infinion Raceway and is now paralized from the chest down. I personally got high-sided in turn 14 at Road America in '98 at about 90 mph and partially tore my shoulder, but I have also crashed 3 other times and jumped up and walked away with nothing more than being sore.

Take into account tracks without proper run off area, as in Vincents case, and the risk of injury from a road racing crash jumps significantly. Take into account the lack of protection not worn by many stunters and the risk of some injuries is increased there as well (like road rash). As far as the comment about stunters not wearing protection because of the heat, I can't even count the number of times I have road raced when it was 90-100+ in full gear for 12-30 minutes at a time. Contrary to what you may think you don't get much cooling effect when tucked behind the bubble at 175 mph with all the heat from the engine coming up at you. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts