Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pondering the idea of selling my FZ6 with all of the mods I have done to it included and getting an 04' or 05' R1. My question is what is it worth with everthing included as well as the original parts too. I have approximately $10-$11K invested in it and 14K miles on it. Any thoughts from people are much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Unfortuantely, you generally can't count on mods to increase the value much, if at all. It's more or less going to depend on who's buying it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You'll do better by putting it back to stock as much as possible and selling the mods separately. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
$5000-$6000, unfortunately mods usually decrease the value in most people's minds as they think they will inherit problems with all the work that has been done. You'd be much better off putting the bike back to stock and selling off the parts individually.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Gotta agree with the other 2 posts on this one, a lot of people may veer away from modded bikes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have to ask: why the R1, and are you gonna mod the F outta that one too?

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Yeah, if you can revert it back to stock you'd make a lot more money selling all the parts - and just think, you've got this forum here to sell to. :p By the way, how much for the Watsen Flush Mounts? :grinbounc

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The reason for the lust for the R1 is because I have always thought that they are incredible machines and after riding one I KNOW that they are for sure! I think that the 04'/05' R1's are the sexiest looking bike ever made, especially the Raven model. I want a bike that can pull the front end off the ground in the triple digits and handles as well as it looks, period. I don't know for sure if I will do it as I love my FZ6 and am not sure if I want to part with it especially after personalizing it so much. I can't afford to own both so I will have to think long and hard before making a decision. Does anyone think that I could get $6500 for it with all of the stuff on it because I don't want to take the stuff off of it. It is a unique FZ6 that I would guarantee that whoever bought it would love as much as I do and having over 92HP to the ground doesn't hurt either.
If I got an R1 I would probably only change the turn signals and windscreen and add a seat cowl, sliders and FE kit. Stock exhaust is fine because it sounds good and 180HP is sufficient for me. :banana

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ah, bike lust. Such a wonderful torture.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Yeah... if I had the money my second bike would be a GSXR 600... or 750 if I was feeling dangerous. :urowned Wait, I know. If I start saving up now, this time next year I could be on both my FZ6 AND the GSXR. Yeah baby! :lol

Any way you decide I think you'll be happy - and either way, enjoy! :cheers

P.S. If you do decide to sell it and do some parting out let me know, I'll be happy to take those Watsens off your hands. :devil :biggrinag

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do it! I sold mine for $5200 here in Cali, but I know for sure I paid more OTD than you guys in other states. I had the lower bikini cowl and R6 forks on it, and that was it.

I think you're in the same boat as I was. I was trying to turn the FZ into something it wasn't. Luckily I wasn't in quite as deep as you ;) I don't feel the need to modify my R. I put frame sliders on and got a rear seat cover as part of my deal, but that's it. The exhaust is awesome and sounds good, the power is insane, and you can't stop friggin' smiling when you get off the thing! They are much more comfortable than the older models (I test drove an '03 originally). Yes, it's a pure sport bike so don't expect a 200 mile run without some fatigue, but at the end of the day you want to ride what you want to ride, and that's what it's all about !!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bugduc said:
Do it! I sold mine for $5200 here in Cali, but I know for sure I paid more OTD than you guys in other states. I had the lower bikini cowl and R6 forks on it, and that was it.

I think you're in the same boat as I was. I was trying to turn the FZ into something it wasn't. Luckily I wasn't in quite as deep as you ;) I don't feel the need to modify my R. I put frame sliders on and got a rear seat cover as part of my deal, but that's it. The exhaust is awesome and sounds good, the power is insane, and you can't stop friggin' smiling when you get off the thing! They are much more comfortable than the older models (I test drove an '03 originally). Yes, it's a pure sport bike so don't expect a 200 mile run without some fatigue, but at the end of the day you want to ride what you want to ride, and that's what it's all about !!
I am totally with you. I also rode a 2003 R1 and WOW!! I just love the new design and with the lower rearsets they are the most comfy R1 to date and I need one. After some thought I guess that when the time comes I will probably sell off my mods and sell the bike closer to stock form because it does make more sense. So I guess that I will have a virtual garage sale on here when I am ready to do it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'll be there. But I think you should try to sell it as-is for $6500 first and save yourself working forever on a bike you just want to get out of. There's a lot of variation in new price across the States, and so far as I know Bob's sells every one they get for more than you're asking. It might not sell, but what are you out?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Sure talk him out, then in.:rolleyes You guys are no help. Try to sell it as is for less hassle, or sell the bike as stock and let us would be "piranhas" nibble on the mod parts and get more money out of it. What a dilemma.....I pity the poor sap that buys it as stock, though. :lao

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Hey man, just wondering... IF you do decide to sell and move up to the R1, will you still be supplying us with the R6 fork spacers? I'm nowhere near ready to do that, but I'm hoping to keep the option open down the road...

Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm still enjoying my FZ. So far, I think it's actually steered me away from the R1 (which I originally thought I'd "move up to" one day. This bike has made me realize that I don't really want a bike like that. Right now, I'm thinking FJR, or possibly keeping the FZ and getting a Kawi Vulcan 2000 as a second bike. Either way, it will be a couple of years before I can do anything (financially speaking). By then, I'll have probably changed my mind a million times anyway... :rolleyes

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crx81 said:
Hey man, just wondering... IF you do decide to sell and move up to the R1, will you still be supplying us with the R6 fork spacers? I'm nowhere near ready to do that, but I'm hoping to keep the option open down the road...

Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm still enjoying my FZ. So far, I think it's actually steered me away from the R1 (which I originally thought I'd "move up to" one day. This bike has made me realize that I don't really want a bike like that. Right now, I'm thinking FJR, or possibly keeping the FZ and getting a Kawi Vulcan 2000 as a second bike. Either way, it will be a couple of years before I can do anything (financially speaking). By then, I'll have probably changed my mind a million times anyway... :rolleyes
Yes I will still be selling stuff and will probably be on here all the time too. Love the FZ6

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dibs on your forks and exhaust :)

crazymofo said:
I am totally with you. I also rode a 2003 R1 and WOW!! I just love the new design and with the lower rearsets they are the most comfy R1 to date and I need one. After some thought I guess that when the time comes I will probably sell off my mods and sell the bike closer to stock form because it does make more sense. So I guess that I will have a virtual garage sale on here when I am ready to do it.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The reason for the lust for the R1.......I want a bike that can pull the front end off the ground in the triple digits

Umm you sure you want to be doing that? Wheelies at high speed? A good rider I know just died pulling a wheelie on his blackbird doing triple digits. Pulled up the front wheel, hit a slight bump in the road and went into a tank slapper. Bike threw him off into a mailbox. Dead at 25, leaves a wife and 3 year old behind.

There's fun 1st gear wheelies and then there are death defying wheelies.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
crazymofo said:
Yes I will still be selling stuff and will probably be on here all the time too. Love the FZ6

YOU the MAN! :dblthumb

Oh, and as Klouseau was saying... BE CAREFUL!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts