Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying a 750 from this local guy tomorrow and i just realized on the email he said "I went down one tooth in the front." So what does that mean though?? Like what does that do???

thank you, Mark

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's a gearing issue. Down a tooth means it'll move a bit faster low end and loose some speed top end. I think, I could be wrong it might be the opposite. If you went up let's say, it'd be quicker top end with a little low end speed sacrificed. Or if you went down it might be quicker low end with top speed sacrificed. Get it?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Agreed with the above posts. It just means that he has a front sprocket with one less tooth than the stock front sprocket. This helps with acceleration while reducing the overall top speed; top speed usually isn't a big deal to most people anyway. Also, depending on the year of the bike, this may throw the speedometer off unless he has a recalibrator.

·
Registered
459 Posts
basically each sprocket has a certain amount the teeth or ridges. Going one down means if you had 30 teeth, now you have 29. If you go down in the back, I beleive you get more torque and the same thing happens if you go up in the front. From what I know, I think giong down one in the front means you get more top end. changing the gearing also messes up your speedo

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Does the guy selling it look like this?

Do the guys that worked on it look like this?

Well then rest assured, you'll be getting one of the famous 'Front Toofless Crew' designed and modded bikes. :twofinger

Going down one tooth in front is like going up 3 or 4 in the back. More lowend and mid-range pull.
Just a little harder on the chain.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Going down in the front means less top speed, more acceleration.

Going up in the back means less top speed, more acceleration.

Going up in the front means more top speed, less acceleration.

Going down in the back means more top speed, less acceleration.

Depending on the bike/year, you may need a speedo healer. Going down one in the front is equal to going up about 3 in the rear (depending on bike/year).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dropping the front sprocket gives you more torque, less top-end. Which is prolly what he wants anyways. The smaller the front sprocket means you need more revolutions to get the rear sprocket to turn. The Larger the REAR sprocket means the same thing. I dont know which one is more advantageous. But they both decrease top spead and increase your acceleration.

EDIT: wow this got a lot of replies fast.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i know didnt it and thanks to all of you for your help its a zx-7r 2002....am i gonna needa fix the speedo??

and yeah i could care less about top speed im more the acceleration kinda guy

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
dupmaronew said:
yeah i know didnt it and thanks to all of you for your help its a zx-7r 2002....am i gonna needa fix the speedo??

and yeah i could care less about top speed im more the acceleration kinda guy
No I dont think you need one, but I could be wrong.

edit: guess we posted at the same time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
mysubaruimp said:
Going down in the front means less top speed, more acceleration.

Going up in the back means less top speed, more acceleration.

Going up in the front means more top speed, less acceleration.

Going down in the back means more top speed, less acceleration.

Depending on the bike/year, you may need a speedo healer. Going down one in the front is equal to going up about 3 in the rear (depending on bike/year).
Hello friends
this is exactly correct.
Most newer sportbikes are not correct in regards to speed indicated, some like 10% off, when u mess with sprockets it changes Alot. i went down 1 in the front and up 3 in the back got a speedohealer and had to calibrate it to 16%
later
Michael Hansen

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
3l1t3 said:
No. The speed should be taken from the front wheel. Consequently, it should be unaffected.

Kawas take speed from the front wheel? I know the 636 doesn't or it wouldn't register 80mph when me and my buddy are doing burnouts :D my honda takes it from the tranny, like most newer bikes I thought did. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
Kawas take speed from the front wheel? I know the 636 doesn't or it wouldn't register 80mph when me and my buddy are doing burnouts :D my honda takes it from the tranny, like most newer bikes I thought did. Could be wrong though
I think all of the Kawi line (Ninja ZX-6R, ZX-6RR, ZX-9R, ZX-10R, ZX-12R, Z750, Z1000, Vulcan Nomad VN1500, VN1600, VN2000, etc..) except the zx7 use a digital speedo that reads off the front sprocket which will need recalibration. The zx7 I thought was different

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
mysubaruimp said:
I think all of the Kawi line (Ninja ZX-6R, ZX-6RR, ZX-9R, ZX-10R, ZX-12R, Z750, Z1000, Vulcan Nomad VN1500, VN1600, VN2000, etc..) except the zx7 use a digital speedo that reads off the front sprocket which will need recalibration. The zx7 I thought was different
That would explain it being the only one. I was just wondering cause his would read 80 during the burn out :D Wasn't busting balls just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im buying a 750 from this local guy tomorrow and i just realized on the email he said "I went down one tooth in the front." So what does that mean though?? Like what does that do???

thank you, Mark
I have a Honda 250cc Dropping a tooth now let me take off in 2nd 1st gear is a creeper let out the clutch no gas does 7 kph on my 900cc fireblade I up my top end 1st gear topped out at 100 kph.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

1 - 16 of 16 Posts