Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it like to ride with a tank bag this tall for say, hundreds of miles?

How about in-town riding when looking for your destination? Stop and go traffic?

I am thinking of getting one of these from one of the site's sponsors, MotoPak Luggage. It has everything I am looking for in touring gear: large capacity, easy removal/installation, backpack straps, leaves the pillion seat free. I am considering getting it instead of the Givi topcase I almost ordered - I like the Givi but hate the idea of a semi-permanent rack on the back of my CBR. I don't like having to remove the saddlebags everytime I am stopping for the night somewhere.

But I need an honest opinion on what it's like to have this behemoth sitting in front of you for miles and miles. I would find it disturbing that I can't see the gauges very well, if at all. And would wind be a factor too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jmho

I'd say "no thanks." I've got a pretty good-sized tankbag on my VFR...

...and when it's packed full it very nearly gets in the way; esp. at lower speeds. You'll lose some "postural flexibility" with any tankbag, but a really big one would get on my nerves. Mine is expandable, but I pretty much use that to park my helmet and then only sometimes.

My choice would be to use a set of soft bags and a smaller tankbag. Pack your stuff into garbage bags and stuff it in the bags. Make sure they're off the mufflers and be careful of the straps where they contact the bodywork. Clear contact paper or saran wrap is recommended...

I used a similar setup on the GPZ... Schweet.

-coldinvt

·
Registered
3 Posts
And another thing...

When using a tankbag's map window while you're on the move [insert legal disclaimer here], you'll need your left index finger to mark the spot you're looking at while you scan between the map and the road [insert legal disclaimer here].

If the map is right under your chinbar, good luck!

-brr

·
Registered
404 Posts
My tank bag expands and this weekend I had it expanded all the way for the first time ever, it doesn’t get in the way but I hit the tank bag a few times with the chin part of my helmet when I was trying to avoid some low flying birds, forgetting that it was sitting so high.

It’s actually sits taller than the ZG double bubble screen so it kind of moves with the wind. I’m getting a taller wind screen; the only thing annoying about it is the wind blowing the top of the tank bag around. I don't use the map window but I doubt you could ride and look at the map up so high.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coldinvt said:
When using a tankbag's map window while you're on the move [insert legal disclaimer here], you'll need your left index finger to mark the spot you're looking at while you scan between the map and the road [insert legal disclaimer here].

If the map is right under your chinbar, good luck!

-brr
LOL Good point.

Thanks for the replies.. I've decided against the big tank bag and going with my original plan, the Givi system. Now I'm just looking for the best price on them. So far twistedthrottle.com is winning, at around $250 for the E350 and a toprack.

·
Registered
404 Posts
After reading some more about using the big expandable tank bags, I realized that mine may be tall but it’s narrow so it doesn’t get in the way on twisty roads, of course you can’t put as much in to it, but I like my new set up, which I tested out over MDW.

In the GIVI top case I only put light items, maps, clothes, etc. According to the GIVI manual, they recommend you pack 22lbs of stuff or less in the top case. I pack all the heavy stuff in to my tank bag, to weigh down the front of the bike. Cameras, battery chargers, ipod, street shoes, toiletries and some extra tools go in the tank bag.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's all the stuff I'd be putting into the Givi! lol I need to see if I'll be able to add sidecase racks to the toprack, and eventually put together a whole setup. For the commute I would only use the topcase (lunch, reading material, rainsuit).

·
Registered
586 Posts
look into corbin beetle bags. I know they make them for my superhawk, and they look nice for hard bags on a rocket. I have a GIVI topcase, and I love having it.

I also have a huge tank bag: http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=116 The bag is nice, the map window is large, the magnets are superb (If I stuck it to the side of a car, it would take some real effort to pull it off.) The thing will expand to at least double its size if you unzip the expander. So you can store a lot in there, but it's freakin huge.

I got tired of carrying it around, and went out and bought a smaller bag for just quick trips (day trips), However, if you need a lot of storage, it works. Seeing the gauges is difficult when it's fully expanded, I just have to lean forward a bit

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Mike. I looked into the the Beetle bags - they're real spiffy - but alas, none for my bike. Not yet, at least. I don't want sidecases anyway so that I'll still be able to lane-split if need be.

I will be getting a small tank bag to supplement the Givi topcase I just bought, only to carry a small camera, toll money, etc in it. The big ones still look like an option, but I'll be going on a multi-day trip soon and test the Givi's capacity first. I hope it'll be enough (most of the luggage space is taken up by camera gear and tools).

·
Registered
878 Posts

This guy rode around lake Michigan and Lake Superior with us a few weeks ago.

The tank bag pretty much went up to his chin as he was sitting up all the way. :)

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
I have a tank bag on all the time. Mine goes up fairly high, but I never let it. For that kind of packing, I'd get a tail bag.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I give him much credit. He did over 2600 miles like that. He also left for the trip with a tire that I wouldn't have wanted to put 300 miles on myself. He made it just fine.

His friends insisted that he get heated grips and a gel seat or something so he at least did that.

Oh and he was in a perferated leather jacket too.

Much of the ride was raining and in the 40's for temps. :lao

·
Registered
586 Posts
FZ1 Matt said:
and here he is actually riding the bike :lao

that's what I look like when I stuff my big tankbag. It gets really annoying.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Mine would expand that tall but I never have. Looks like you could rest in it pretty well though. I need to figure out some tail bag system for my gix.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I have a Held tankbag that is tall when fully expanded. The height is not a problem for me. I am after maximum storage space wihout having to resort to mounting my sidebags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would think that, for me at least, it would be nice to have something that I could rest my chin on for the longer straights. For that matter, I'd be happy if I could get a back rest for my bike and bars that would bring the grips back and up far enough that I could have a more upright position (I know, I should just go out and buy a GoldWing...).

However, don't listen to anything I say on the subject (seriously) because I don't actually have any bags for my bike.

·
Registered
863 Posts
fotocycle said:
What's it like to ride with a tank bag this tall for say, hundreds of miles?
I guess if you get tired you can just lay your head on it like a pillow. Would probably also make reading details on a map great since it's like an inch from your head. If I'm going to be carring so much gear that I think I'll need a tankbag THAT big, I'll just break out my tailbag and soft saddlebags.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts