Sport Bikes banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
When i shoot lightning, I've have the shutter open for at least 5 seconds. I have a wireless tr***** which helps. But its hard to know where lightning is going to strike. So, not to sell myself short...but it is mostly luck.

That one really good bolt there. I had been shooting off to the left of that that frame, I was using a 30 second delay, iso 100, f/5.6 Manual focus. I didn't like what I was getting, color wise and nothing was happening in that area. So I dropped it to 8 seconds, closed the aperture to f/8 and upped the iso. Switched to Auto focus, locked on that cloud, switched back to manual focus, hit the tr***** and there it was.

It takes patience more than timing. You could sit there and wait for it, THEN try to take the picture. But I've seen guys who have spent years trying to get an image like that. While I've been 'interested' in photography for sometime now, I had my T3i for less than a year when that picture was taken. I did have full access to a 40D (when they first came out) for almost 2 years. Thats kinda how I got my start. The only reason I have a T3i, is because of my wife. Even that took her almost 2 years to convince her to we 'needed' it. I wanted a 60D, but she wasn't going for a $1200 body only camera haha. Even after I showed her the price on a 1D.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
How do you like that 28 - 135? I hear really good things about it.
The new 18-135 STM is an awesome intro lens from what I've heard and read. Sounds like a really decent walk around lens for some extra reach. I played with the 28-135 originally when I first started shooting (I started on an XTi in like 2006 and had no clue what I was doing) but I didn't use it too often.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts