Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should create a few laughs for the shear mentioning of my bike. OK, I ride a 1997 Katana 600. :pisson I purchased it used this spring with 11,000 miles on it. So far I only ride with 2 of my buddys at work which both have SV650's. At any speed I have absolutely no problem passing them. :eek:nfloor Whether it is a all out drag or even from a 75 mph kickdown. This seems impossible after reading up on my bike and theirs. My Katana will throttle up in first easily and is no problem to clutch up in 2nd. Is this normal for a heavy sled like this? I don't think the gears have been changed due to running 142 mph, which is what it does stock, right?

Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is it the original engine? Put it on a dyno... maybe they just suck?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am not sure. I don't know of anyone else who has the same bike to compare it to. I don't even know what to look for. For the other guys, one is a newbie, and the other has had is bike for 3 years. I have also swapped bikes with the 05' 650 and I could not make it go any faster. Could anyone tell me if a Katana is supposed to be this quick?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, our bikes have the oilcooled GSX-R engine, you'rs is bored down to 600cc. The fact is, there is a lot of atermarket out there for this engines, you can add carbs, cams, ignition...

But I don't think many people spend that kind of money on a Katana, and I really doubt that someone who did, would't say anythign about that when selling it.

To me it seems that the bike has aftermarket sprokets and is geared down, that will make it quite faster off the line, with the penalty of high rpms when cruising, lower MPG and lower top speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK. I am 165 pds. I just checked and counted my sprokets and they are same as what came stock. Now what? I don't know anything about the bike because I purchased it from the local shop. It had 11,000 miles on it and needed painted severe. I paid 1,300 dollars. I have stripped, painted and started my decals.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is around 225 to 230kph which is basically a stretch for many 600s built in the late 90s to early '00. You must have a miracle bike or you have a bike with a pink speedo.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My 2001 Kat won't power or clutch up. The fastest I ever had that thing was 120. It must be the Herbie of sportbikes... Does it ever wink at you?

·
sikk cylinders
1,014 Posts
Engines always run extremely well right before they blow! :lao Just Kidding!

My son's 02 Kat 600 would run consistant 12.20's-12.30's all day long @107-108 mph 1/4mi. The only thing it had on it was a Yosh slip-on. I never thought they were that fast. I don't know how those #'s compare with the SV's #'s.

BTW, don't piss-on the Kat. Those bikes are extremely good bikes. I can't for the life of me understand the bad press they get.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wow, really? I don't understand the "pink" speedo, but I have checked it beside my car at 90 Mph and I was only 2 mph off. So does it seem something has been done internally to it, or maybe not even the correct engine? I wish I new because I could at least brag a little on my Katana if I knew for sure, Lol. It just really has me stumped. My new rear tire should be here on Thursday and I will get my girlfriend to video me powering it up and see if you all think it is normal.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
A stock SV650 should probably run 12.4 maybe with a good rider, and the mags and all specs I've seen say 12.02 as a fastest an SV has gone stock... but I imagine you have to really know your shit to pull a time like that. Can you beat the SV's off the line? I wouldn't think so cause they have so much tq. *shrugs* I just always figured that all the 600's could power up in first, although I could be crazy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
When we pull out in a grag he jumps me through half of first, and I am a half of a bike behind him, by the time I hit second and top it out I am a foot or so in front of him and by the end of third I have plenty of room to pull in front of him and so on. Like I mentioned before, I have rode his bike and done the same against mine and same results happen. One more question that I am unsure of. Should my Kat have dual exhaust. I can't find a picture of another on with it. Just wondering because mine does, but it has Suzuki stamped on both of them so they are not aftermarket, correct?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Right, since you've swapped bikes, I don't think it's the rider... Sounds like a difference in machine.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I suppose you could call a suz dealership, ask for maitenance, and when you talk to the parts guy, ask him where the part number should be on the engine, and ask him what the part number is for your engine... and see if they match up. You could do the same thing for the carbs... that's about all I can think of that you could see without pulling the motor apart... it might give you some answers, or might not haah.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
97gsx600f said:
One more question that I am unsure of. Should my Kat have dual exhaust. I can't find a picture of another on with it. Just wondering because mine does, but it has Suzuki stamped on both of them so they are not aftermarket, correct?
I thought it was suppose to be single side exhaust?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Nope, it's supposed to be dual exhaust. They're little mufflers right? Those are stock.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Could be jet kit has been added, maybe the timing is advanced. If it is still a stock pipe that wouldn't be it. I have found big bore kits that can change it to a b***** displacement. I have a 750 Kat and it is pretty quick, not equal to RC51 or anything but pretty quick, and I have been thinking of adding the big bore kit to it and take it from a 750 to a 955. Either that or I will buy a liter bike next year for pure playing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
According to the mags, Katanas run low 12 second quarter mile times, which is right up there with the SV (and the current generation 400 hp Corvette, for that matter). Furthermore, my '89 Ninja 600 will run up to about 140 MPH as well, and it's rated to 85 hp - same as the Katana. I'm pretty convinced your bike is bone stock. Late 80's designed 600's may be slugs compared to the new supersports, but they're still bloody quick rides.

Generally, given equal displacement (or near equal, in this case), a 4 cylinder bike will be faster in a straight line than a V-twin. Factor in that the SV is much newer technology than the Katana, and I think it sounds about right that it's slower, but only slightly.
Funny that people talk such crap about the Katana. I think it's an underrated bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts