Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what year did they start using fuel injection on sportbikes????like are there any mid 90`s bikes that are carburated???

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I think that the F4i was the first one that was mass produced...but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Early 80's model Kawasaki turbo, '85 BMW K bikes. These may not be considered "sport" bikes by todays standards, but they were in their time.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
dayid said:
...Motorcycle Fuel Inject Handbook by Adam Wade
Kawasaki KZ1000G was the first fuel-injected motorcycle, and it was available in 1980.
:google
That's correct, even though you cheated! At least you knew where to look. :lol

It got a little bit more sporty in 1981...

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Mass produced:

1998 GSXR750
'97 Triumph T595
'01 GSXR600
'00 Triumph TT600
'02 Yamaha R1
'01 GSXR1000
'01 Honda F4i
'03 Kawasaki ZX6-R
'03 Yamaha R6

After '03, the big 4 had all their flagship bikes Fi.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 97TL1000S that's fuel injected. I have never had a problem with it. They did a way good job :)

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
bear57 said:
mechanical or electronic fi? i think kawi had an fi bike early 80's. bmw k100 1985 if thats a sport bike. gts yamaha?
The 1980 KZ1000G had EFI. Electronic Fuel Injection. It was the first! Followed by the GPz series 1100.

Unless someone can show me an earlier mechanical fuel injected motorcycle... If there was one, I'd really like to know about it.

Mechanical, (and electronic) fuel injection has been around for several decades before 1980, (Bosch, Rochester, Hilborn, Bendix) so it is possible...

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Earlier (and some current) motorcycle EFI systems sometimes had a difficult time properly metering fuel, especially at low rpm/high throttle applications. Typically, 'on/off switch' characteristics.

A motorcycle EFI system has to deal with a much larger range of loads and flows than a typical car EFI system. Bike throttle bodies (and carbs) are HUGE and flow an incredible amount compared to automobiles. Recent refinements in design with secondary throttle butterflies etc., have improved these systems to a great extent.

Properly tuned and maintained carbs seem to handle these demands better in many cases. Case in point, the last carbed Yamaha R1 was one of the smoothest fueling motorcycle engines ever built. I think many current generation EFI bikes have finally matched or even exceeded this.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In 1982 Honda made the CX500 Turbo that was fuel injected, turbocharged, water cooled....it was really ahead of it's time. Unfortunately it also cost something like $5000.I almost bought one several years later, still new on the showroom floor, for $2600.
They also made a 650 model too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
ApriliaSL said:
Wasn't the Suzi TLS/R one of the early FI sport bikes....that got it very right?

The TLS was in 97 and the TLR 98. I haven't heard many TL owners complain about the fuel injection, and I myself don't have any complaints! (Knock on wood!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts