Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently serving in iraq... (again) and i gonna have disposable income i could get a new Bike form the big 4.... or i could get a used Duc. Im really torn about it i know the Jap bikes are more reliable and truly amazing machines but does it have the charcter or Italy's finest? If new im leaning to a R-1 but if i go Duc 998 hell even a 916 just cuz of the importance of the machine. So if you had say 12-13k would u get a new R-1 or used Duc?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I say the 916 or 998. Not many have a Ducati. Sure there is work to be done on it and what not more often than a jap bike but if you can handle it(money and not riding) then get that. If you want a common, abundant, yet reliable bike, go R1

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The duc..........Matrix edition 998

Attachments

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
r1

·
Registered
819 Posts
the thing is do u like the thump of a V Twin or the scream of Inline 4...

If money no biggie why not look at gettin say a 600 ss and a monster...

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
R1--the Duc will be more of an ongoing expense and may end up dipping into your non-disposible funds. The R1 is less likely to do so. Besides, the ravens are sexy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Matter of preference I guess.. for a sport bike I would prefer the R1..I like the sound and the feel better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If I ever get a disposable income, I'm geting the BMW K1200S. haven't stopped tinking about that bike since I got a test ride on it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Heath3n said:
If I ever get a disposable income, I'm geting the BMW K1200S. haven't stopped tinking about that bike since I got a test ride on it. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ooh, I've heard those are NICE -- saw a couple on craigslist recently that went for around 4 grand--older mid-80's models, as I recall.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hate to be the first one to bring this up, but are you a new rider? Only reason I ask is if you are, it'd be a bummer to get from Iraq and get wiped by some idiot in a cage.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Be different, go with the Duc.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
The R1 gets my vote

·
Registered
501 Posts
Definitly get an R1.. I've sat on a few ducati's.. 999, 748's... Never rode one so I can't compare, but for me it just felt to narrow.. you should ride both first though

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I think you have to go with what you think will make you happy. If money is usually an issue though, then remember that a Ducati needs more frequent (and expensive) maintenance.

Personally, I'd look at a Honda RC51 - all the thump and personality of a 45 degree V twin with the reliabilty of a Japaense bike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts