Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago (yes I know I'm late to the party {Thanks max384 :cheers}) I had a friend who bought a brand new GSXR 600. At the time he was like most squids, flying from traffic light to light, just generally showing off, something you kinda want to see your friends grow out of quickly. Now I know everyone has their own learning curve for when they want to start taking passengers, I felt at 3 months he wasn't experienced with the bike enough to take on passenger. He just wasn't quite at the skill level to understand how everything changes with that additional weight behind you and how braking, cornering, ect, changes. Although, I did cringe when I found out he had taken a passenger after only 3 months of riding, I assumed it was just around the block at slow speeds and not balls out crazy. When I found out he was doing 100+ mph rides, I warned him to cut that (stuff) out. She may not understand but you've got her life in your hands with everything you do. I had warned him repeatedly (nagged if you will) not to take a passenger until you fully understand what the bike is capable of first and then slowly build up to it (just the way I did; not saying its the right way but I understood what happens with the weight and geometry change).

After a total of 6 months of riding, he's with this girl downtown to celebrate some local sports team win. Caution to sensitive viewers. Witnesses say he was accelerating down a road (showing off) with concrete barriers on all sides; due to construction. It was an easy right hander that without a rider could be safely taken at 30mph max. The FHP estimate he was up to around 45 before he realized there was a curve and hit the brakes, causing the bike to highside. Now, hes 6'5 250 and slid into the barrier breaking a femur, neck and some other bones. She was unfortunate in the fact she hit the barrier at full speed causing her helmet to fly off (yes it probably wasnt fasten correctly), but was instantly killed. To give you an idea, the rear rim was cracked and bent like a corkscrew from the impact so you can guess what the force did to her body.

Now for my question. After getting it out of police impound he decides to repair it and has been riding it ever since. I ask this because its been on my mind for quite a while. If any of you caused the death of your passenger on your bike would you repair it and keep riding it?

Personally, I think its messed up. I cant imagine doing that and then keep riding the same bike. Ok you want to keep riding right after the metal pins are out of your skull; fine. You want to keep riding after you've killed someone, thats your decision, but to use the same bike seems really just morbid to me.

What do you think? Am I blowing this out of proportion?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Not blowing it out of proportion, so much as focusing on the wrong thing, I think. The bike itself is a minor factor in all this. It doesn't matter what bike he was riding at the time; it would have come out the same. It doesn't matter what bike he's riding now; what matters is whether he learned anything, or is on the path to the same fate again.

PhilB

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah... same bike, different bike, new bike, old bike, who cares? If you disagree with with his actions and/or choices, does it really matter what bike he does it on?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
phil nailed it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
while in an objective sense i don't really see what difference the bike he rides makes (this means that i would not use this as something to judge a friend by), the answer becomes different when i apply it to myself.

would i fix up a vehicle, if i crashed and killed some one with that vehical?

I could answer "yes" and even justify it by saying that the vehicle that some one died in, has no significance to me. For example i do not feel weird about buying or working on cars that people died in. (i deal with a lot of death. So i can be fairly callus about it, especially compared to the rest of my hypersensitive generation.)

however to my surprise, the answer is probably not. i would probably see the vehicle as a reminder of my failure. While i do not believe that in general death has any lasting impact on thing that are near it (outside of the physical things), this would be personal and i personally would not like the memories associated with the vehicle.

The only way i could see myself fixing a vehicle i killed some one on, is if i did it as a way to memorialise them.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
It would depend on my role in the crash that killed the pillion passenger. For example, if I were crashed into from behind, or got trapped in some situation that I couldn't escape by inattentive cagers and the pax got the worst of it, I would probably ride the bike again if I could. Shit happens. I trashed my sports convertible and bought another just like it.

Were the fault mine, especially if I was speeding, stunting or showing off I doubt I'd be able to so much as look at another bike for the guilt. Then again, if my negligent actions lead to the death of another I don't know how I'd go on.

How does someone escape lawsuit in such an instance? Were it my relative killed in such a fashion I'd make certain the guy never had enough to buy another vehicle of any kind again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm surprised he didn't get charged with reckless homicide, manslaughter or something.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah hopefully the girls family would try to get him charged with at least manslaughter. Motherfucker deserves to die. Squids are bad enough, but it REALLY makes me mad to see a squid riding like a retard with a passenger. That shit is just so stupid.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i question i have is this, did he learn anything or is he still riding like an a$$hat?

back to op.. if it's my fault, i'd probably quit all together and just get rid of the bike.
someone else's fault? i'd fix it up and ride.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For me, everytime I would see the empty passenger seat I would think of the person that died.....if he doesn't, then he has a serious lack of compassion for other people. There's no way I would fix the bike and continue riding it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
yeah, the only way i could see to memorialise a spam bot is by making a snarky post saying "kill it, kill it with fire."

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's no way I could still ride that bike. I love riding so much, but if I ever got my passenger killed I don't even know if I could still ride anymore. For that reason, I don't carry any passengers. Plus, I ride my bike to have fun in the twisties. A passenger will just slow me down. The only reason any guy would ever carry a passenger is to impress a girl (speaking of younger riders, but of course husbands ride with their wives).

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
He killed his girlfriend and mangled his bike in the process...

Why put the blame on the bike?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Riding the bike or not is something of purely sentimental perception.

How he rides now, as others have pointed out, is what matters.

Different people have different levels of sentimentality. One isn't a sociopath simply because he/she has a low level of sentimentality, it just means his attachments aren't very strong in this regard.

Whether or not he has changed his riding style and whether or not he feels regret, those are what some would consider infinitely more important.

My thoughts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts