Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So uh, picking up milk or something. Buying a ZX6R but I've gotta drive a few hours and pick it up. Its been sitting outdoors for 6 months completely uncared for. I would prefer to drive it back, because you know.. reasons (The trip covers an hour of pretty much the best roads in the state, then a boring hour of interstate). In the pictures it still looks spotless, tires look good, gas is probably bleh so ill carry a gas can. Battery probably dead so ill have to jump it. Anything beyond that? Chain is probably rusty but an o-ring chain wont care. Should I just load her up on a trailer instead? My hands are still shaking, I want it so bad lol.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'd be highly suspect of the pictures, unless you can get him to write something that you think of on some paper, and take a picture of the bike how it is NOW.
Tires, chain, battery, lights and turn signals, oil, plugs, coolant, brakes, etc. In six months of outside neglect, (was it covered?)I wouldn't drive it down the street without a thorough checkup, and that will take time, knowledge, tools and fluids. It'd be one thing if you knew the bike or owner, but you don't. Be safe, trailer it home. Those roads aren't going anywhere.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I wouldnt even consider that poor bike. Unless you can get it for a very good deal.
6 months uncovered in the weather is harsh on a car even. The gas is guaranteed bad.
If it even starts its probably going to run like crap.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do know the people I'm buying it from and trust them to tell me to the best of their knowledge, but they don't know squat about bikes other than to tell me it worked perfectly when parked :( . It doesnt have enough miles on it to have worn out aything yet though. It's barely broken in. It's not an insane deal but it is a pretty good one.

I honestly think the reason sport bikes go so cheap in my area is the insurance. I'm 30, married, own a home, endorsement for 3 years, great credit, no tickets or at fault accidents on my record, and every insurance company quoted me ~2200 a year for full coverage. 140 for liability. Needless to say I am only buying this because I'm paying cash and getting liability. Cheaper to do that and buy another used bike if anything happens to the first lol. So long as I don't have a total and complete loss more often than every 3 years.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
you're gonna spare battery, fresh gas, the ability to dump the old junk. basic tool set. check tire pressure and tire condition. I made the mistake of not and rode my F4i home with a separating front tire. yikes.

have someone follow you home with a truck, complete with ramp, chock and straps in case the thing dies.

when you get it home, every fluid should be swapped (I do this regardless when I buy a vehicle for my own piece of mind). brake, coolant, oil, fuel, fork oil, the whole deal.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Sounds to me like the bike is worth getting, but I'd trailer it home and give it a good once-over before riding it anywhere significant.

PhilB

Reactions: Rhetorik

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I second trailering it. Last time I bought a used bike it was from a dealer in the Boston area, and I trailered it home. Good thing I did because on my first ride on it, it started puking oil everywhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
trailer it. Have it inspected, do the maintenance it needs, then ride.

Don't be the guy who comes into the shop saying "it worked fine 6 months ago, i just had it out for an hour. now it won't run." and leaves with a very heavy and stylish paper weight.

and yes, i have been through this before. mostly with boat motors.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
My bike sat the better (Worst, really) part of four years in my garage with only the occasional getting fired up just to make sure it could, new battery and cleaned out the gas tank, ran some Seafoam through, etc., and it was good to go, mechanically.

Six months outside would probably have similar results.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I bought a used bike with about 600 miles from a dealership. I stopped for a Coke and dinner on the way home, and the kill switch died. Luckily, at exactly 6pm, they sent someone to the county I was in to take the bike back and fix it.

I've had all sorts of things go bad on brand new cars. I wouldn't ride a used motorcycle 10 miles unless I can do a full mechanical and technical inspection first. And then I'd still want to put some miles on it first before taking it home.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Trailer it. My F4i had been sitting for about 6 or 8 months (albeit in a garage) before I got it. dead battery (wouldn't even hold a charge), air pressure was in the 10s on the tires, fuel MAY have been good, but I cleared the tank regardless and put some fresh fuel in it. I started it once to make sure it would start, then immediately shut it down and swapped all the fluids.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright. I plan to take everything I need to haul it. I'll see what shape it's in. It's a 2012 with 1k miles. Didn't wanna describe it too much until I closed the deal lol. Didn't want one of you rascals grabbing it from under me ;)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too late now, already mine :p . Louisiana is a great place to buy a used bike though. Summer gets so godawful hot there are never any miles on Em and insurance is insane. 3 or 4 year old bikes go for 5 - 7k depending on condition.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Dont you think the local economy has anything to do with the values? You guys aren't exactly the empire or golden state. dont you guys have 'gumbolt' on your state flag? :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts