Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way home I was messing around and took my hands off the handlebars and they started wobbling :eek: like it was fixing to start a tank slapping. Needless to say I had my hands back on them in no time. My question is why is it doing it? I messed with it a few more times on the way home and it seems like it just wants to do it above 55MPH...any ideas?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I had the same issues man. One of the things that helped was replacing my front tire.
Your tire may be out of balance. I also had bent forks, and a possible bent frame. I replaced the forks but never fixed the frame so the wobble was still there slightly.
But when my front tire got out of balance it really had that bike shaking.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
also add, worn out head bearings...........

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
RACER X said:
also add, worn out head bearings...........
worn out or loose head bearings. cupped or worn front tire. forks that are either bent or twisted (not straight) in the tripple clamps. front and rear tires that aren't aligned. inproper suspension settings. uneven pavement.

as you can see there are a number of conditions that can cause that wobble. smart money is your tires. if the tires are in good condition check the steering stem bearings. hold the bike upright and move the bars left to right. if you feel or hear any clicking the bearings are shot. if it feels like its sticking or not smooth they may be too tight. if you feel nothing at all have a friend hold the bike upright, walk to the front, grab the fork legs just under the bottom tree and push/pull back and forth. if you feel play they may be too loose.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My old tire was cupped and mine did the same thing. When I replaced the tire last saturday, it stoped doing that. But it's kinda scary when it happens at 55 MPH and those bars start shaking :2eek

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'd bet money its the front tire then, it has almost no tread left in a couple of spots, but its wore down pretty well. Just been waiting on my paycheck so I can buy new tires, tire changing equipment, and front steering stem stand.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
if its a good tire, then check the air pressure.mine did the same till i found that i was running on 25 psi

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Tire, tire ballance, incorrect suspension setting, worn steering stem bearings, bent forks. I'd start with the tires and go from there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
H2Omax1 said:
My old tire was cupped and mine did the same thing. When I replaced the tire last saturday, it stoped doing that. But it's kinda scary when it happens at 55 MPH and those bars start shaking :2eek
Yeah, thats the truth...when it started shaking I was like :eek: :2eek I also need to find an article on how to adjust the suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts