Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Last night I went to a fast food place for dinner. As I was taking off my helmet, this GSX1000 pulls up, still has dealer thing on the license plate bracket. So, as the dude stops, he says "Hey, nice bike!". I returned the complement and was shocked at what learned over the next couple of minutes!

The dude takes off his helmet and I see that he is just a kid. He tells me that he just got this bike a week ago. He tells me that he is 16!!! and that he had never even ridden other than a couple of times on his friends honda "50" :eek: :eek: !!

Can you believe this...there is more. I was almost speechless. All I could say is "That is an awful lot of bike dude" Now, to his credit (and probably the law) he had a helmet and a jacket...actuall leather. No gloves or boots! Then he starts bragging. "The night I got it I got pulled over doing 110 on the freeway. I didn't have my permit yet and the cop let me keep my bike!!" He told me that the next day he went and got his permit. Here in California, you are not allowed to ride on the freeway, at night or take passengers with a permit.

The kid also told me that he had to go to several dealerships before he could get a bike. I guess he wanted an R1, but the Yamaha dealerships wouldn't touch him even with cash. Ahhhhhh....what are this kids thinking?? Or are there parents?? I will be worried about this kid, even though I have no idea of his name or anything. Just that he is 16 on a blue and white GSX1000 with an alpinestars blue and black jacket riding around San Diego County!!!!

:( :eek:

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Figures, once again, too much money (his or his parents), and not enough brains. When my kid is 16 he/she is gonna be a better rider than I will ever be!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
superbiker said:
unfortunately he will be in the news soon and it will not be good
Yeah, another article about how dangerous and useless sport bikes are and how they should be outlawed. Personally, it sickens me to see squids riding around, acting like asses and further contributing to the negative oppinions that most of the non-riding community already have. I hope this guy lives long enough to legally buy beer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I see it all the time in Florida. It is not even kids at the age of 16. I'm talking 18, 19, 20, 23,25,28 yr old "kids". All have liter bikes and do nothing but pose and pull wheelies.

You know I am a firm believer of to each his own. However, the simple fact that their acts of selfishness affects others is what pisses me off.

I like a wheelie just as much as the next guy, but man, there is a place and a time for everything. I do not have a problem with someone buying a 1k and doing nothing but riding from home to bike night and posing. Hey, thats what they want to do? Go for it, it does not affect me in the slightest. It is when these guys with 0 experience get a 1k, or even a 600ss and think they are the next Evil Kenneviel (SP) or Rossi and try showing off. In the middle of conjested traffic areas, mind you. No brains. . . Unfortunately we all pay the price for their misfurtions and ignorance. I hope the whole bike "fad" wears off soon enough. . .

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
:bsflag ..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
:bsflag ..

I work in a dealership and see this often. Its not BS. I get kids here who walk all over their parents to buy dirtbikes, scooters and sportbikes. Just today I have had a kid dragging his clueless grandmother around town to get her to finance a sportbike.

We also had a kid bring his obviously drunk dad in to finance an ATV. His dad was going to sign anything but we told them to come back later. :alky

·
Registered
522 Posts
Squid Killer said:
I work in a dealership and see this often. Its not BS. I get kids here who walk all over their parents to buy dirtbikes, scooters and sportbikes. Just today I have had a kid dragging his clueless grandmother around town to get her to finance a sportbike.

We also had a kid bring his obviously drunk dad in to finance an ATV. His dad was going to sign anything but we told them to come back later. :alky
haha, at the dealership I worked at we sold some drunk dude 3 ATVs. Not exactly ethical, but its sales (read: cutthroat).

Anyway, GSXR1k's are good beginner bikes, you don't have to shift as often since they have power everywhere in the powerband. Also they are very light, so if you drop it, you can pick it up without help. So, that kid made a great decision when he chose the Gixxer.

....j/k stupid move, hopefully he won't make the news.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm 16 and I have little experience, but I did race dirtbikes for 5 years which I guess counts for something. I never even thought about buying a 1000, insurance is crazy and I have to pay for it alone so no thank you. I feel the FZ6 was a good choice as my beginner bike because it is forgiving, good seating position and easy to ride. Plus once I gain experience I won't want to go buy a b***** bike because I started with a 600 instead of say a 500 ninja (third choice after Honda 599). What was that kid thinking?? His parents must be loaded. I had to save up my Walmart salary for two years to buy this and am glad I did.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
JoN31 said:
I'm 16 and I have little experience, but I did race dirtbikes for 5 years which I guess counts for something. I never even thought about buying a 1000, insurance is crazy and I have to pay for it alone so no thank you. I feel the FZ6 was a good choice as my beginner bike because it is forgiving, good seating position and easy to ride. Plus once I gain experience I won't want to go buy a b***** bike because I started with a 600 instead of say a 500 ninja (third choice after Honda 599). What was that kid thinking?? His parents must be loaded. I had to save up my Walmart salary for two years to buy this and am glad I did.

I wouldnt say really forgiving. I pulled out of a nasty headshake the other day. I came around a corner and hit a pothole (thanks to NYS) and the bike just about threw me off. I immediatly straightened the bike upright and eased on the gas. Luckily, I pulled through. Another notch in my belt.

:alky

·
Registered
242 Posts
You would think that someone would file a suit against a dealership for wrongful death or negligence for selling such a high powered piece of equipment to a newbie. There has to be some responsibility held against the dealer.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
redhawkphi said:
You would think that someone would file a suit against a dealership for wrongful death or negligence for selling such a high powered piece of equipment to a newbie. There has to be some responsibility held against the dealer.
That's just ridiculous. You can legislate common sense. If the kid plows into an elderly lady crossing the street - it's not going to be the dealer's fault, it's the kids. You can't hold the dealer accountable. You seem like the type that would sue a McDonalds for hot coffee.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
JoN31 said:

Sorry to say that dirtbike experience doesn't count for much, if anything. Also at 16 you should NOT have bought a brand new bike, you don't even have enough experience driving a car to know how the rules of the road really work, much less a brand new 600cc motorcycle. You already bought it so it's too late for me to say anything except practice ALOT of low speed manuevering and throttle control, and if you haven't taken the MSF BRC take it NOW.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
superbiker said:
unfortunately he will be in the news soon and it will not be good
Which is why some dealers would not sell to kids. They could either get slapped with a lawsuit (which is BS), bring regulation upon themselves, get really bad publicity, or a combination of the above. I think the dealers see what's going on and are willing to lose a dollar here and there so that they don't lose hundreds of thousands a few years down the road.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
:twofinger :twofinger :twofinger I LIKE IT!!! :leghump and once again: :twofinger

whats with the too many smilie thing? i had 100+ twofingers and i couldnt post. oh yeah, a few people were surprised that i was 15 when i got a bike!

·
Registered
242 Posts
TheWraith said:
That's just ridiculous. You can legislate common sense. If the kid plows into an elderly lady crossing the street - it's not going to be the dealer's fault, it's the kids. You can't hold the dealer accountable. You seem like the type that would sue a McDonalds for hot coffee.
Legislating common sense is what is done. Obviously mortality and morbidity are greatly decreased with helmet use, the reasoning why so many states are making helmet use mandatory.

It's no different than a hospital hiring a physician (through a contract) and then the physician commiting medical malpractice.... eventhough the hospital doesn't employ the physician, the hospital is still "responsible" for the physician's general practice. It's called corporate negligence.

Talking about common sense, common sense tells me that if dealers are going to be selling a potientially lethal consumer goods (much less one which multiples the fatality potential of an individual exponentially), then there are SOME responsibilities that a dealer should be reliable for. Common sense tells me that you shouldn't be selling motorcycles to individuals that don't understand what they are getting into, or for that matter ATVs to drunk individuals.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I kinda always thought wearing a helmet was common sense. But I guess no states actually legislate that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll have to disagree , I think dirt bikes do teach several things . Throttle control for one. How a bike feels when the back gets loose. How brakes work. Now I'll grant you that a street bike dose handle differantly but I too started on dirtbikes back in 1982 and was riding the streets by 86. Those 4 years on dirt were priceless for teaching me how to handle a bike and I feel better for it. If given the option of 4 years of dirt riding or 0 on any bike, I'll take the 4 years hands down.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts