Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what some of you guy's 1st mistakes were. Like the 1st time yo dropped your bike dumped it ect or even the 1st time you had a close call. What were you doing and how did it happen?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Didn't put the kickstand all the way down pulling it into the garage, tipped over. My first riding mistake was too much rear brake, fishtailing the rear tire.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I turned left onto a sidestreet to go back the direction I came. After I got onto the sidestreet I realized that I didn't need to turn around and proceeded to turn left again to continue the direction I had been going... effectively just doing a big 360.

I started to pull out when I saw a car coming. I didn't panic or anything, but my body just froze up.... I let off the throttle and got on the brake out of instinct, but I forgot to put my foot down.

Fortunately this happened on my Yamaha FJ1200, which was very dropworthy. It sorta had this built in drop protection from the factory in the large cooling scoops on the side of the fairing. It landed on those and to get it looking good as new again all you had to do was spend $100 to replace that.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
hmm, the fact that my first bike was an 88' Hurricane <mistake #1... and I was at a stop light, turned to look at some friends, and droped the bike. Kinna lost my balance

·
Registered
954 Posts
umm, making a fast right turn in a parking garage... on those slippery concrete floors....

·
Registered
117 Posts
didnt shoulder check before making a sweeping left hand turn- friend pulled up fast behind me to pass- he didnt know i was turning... down we went.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
going up to the georgia mountains ten days after i got my first sportbike, an SV. got in over my head, tried to follow better riders without being used to mine yet, ran wide and into a ditch. picked it back up, road another 10 minutes, and hit an oil slick in a hairpin and down i went again. all in the same 15 minutes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
5min into my first ride, i hit a pothole through a turn and the throttle slipped (shutting off the throttle) and it felt like i was gonna go down :O, but i stayed up yay.

First and only time i went down, was a combonation of too much front break, speed and gravel on the road, locked the front brake and down i went.

Almost got caught with kickstand in garage also. I was beside the bike just rolling it to the side to make room for the car in the garage, while moving it i guess the kick stand hit the groundand make it go up without me noticing, i went to put the bike on the kickstand and WHOA why is it so heavy! i look down and no kickstand haha, i was able to catch it though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
First mistake was when I was comming from a stop sign after riding away from the dealership with the new 636. Went to put my foot down and my shoe lace had caught onto something and would NOT let me put my foot down. I ran the stop sign to avoid falling. It was very stupid because I didn't check the intersection after knowing I couldn't put my foot down. It was a four way stop. Then, same day, I got home and parked the bike next to my 4 month old truck and the kickstand fell into the only hole in the pavement. The bike started to fall left into my truck pinning me between the bike and truck. My mistake for parking that close. Neightbor saw the whole thing and helped my out of the situation.

·
Registered
213 Posts
First mistake was my second day riding. Too much throttle and shitty clutch control. Wheelied my 500R. I didn't go down however. Scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've never dumped it or dropped it or anything like that, but I have had some close calls. Almost all of them were caused by guys driving trucks and SUVs in the curves that crossed way over the double yellow on purpose, nearly killing me on a few occasions. I could have been in a car though and it would not have been much different. They were also my mistakes in a sense for not thinking ahead to realize that there are egocentric a-holes potentially waiting behind every corner.

Other mistakes were much smaller, like sloppy shifting, failed wheelie attempts, entering corners a bit too hot, and picking bad lines that nearly put my tires in the slipperly stuff. I did crash my dirtbike quite a few times though when I was learning and nearly broke my leg on one occasion by hitting my leg on an evergreen while riding a tight trail though the mountains. I also started a 30 mile poker run once by crashing on a jagged pile of rocks in the first corner (warm-up your mind, as well as your bike before riding hard).

·
Registered
58 Posts
pulled into garage and kids bike was in my way. Instead of getting off and moveing it i tried too reach over and move it. leaned way too far and slowly started too tip over. No way was i getting a scratch on it so i let it fall on me i was traped under it hollering from the garage for like 20 min. My family thought i was mad about somthing and was ignoreing me......happens alot..ignoreing i mean =)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My first mistake was my brother let me ride his bike before I knew anything about motorcycles. He gave me a 2 minute lesson and showed me how to upshift but not downshift and I was in 3rd gear and doing a slow u-turn and of course the bike started to sputter and stall and I dropped his bike and broke the mirror...he was pissed as you can imagine...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Making a turn after stopping in gravel. Bike felt all funny, stalled out because I was freaking out, then, lost my balance and fell over.

Second one was letting my cousin-in-law ride the bike. Less than a week old. He couldn't touch earth. I went inside to eat; he drops it after making some serious noise in the neighbourhood. Throttle was touchy.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
starting out a cbr600

1 - 20 of 66 Posts