Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at buying a new helmet because my HJC is all dicked up and I hate it anyways.

I notice the cheaper helmets have a polycarbonate shell, but more expensive ones tend to have some sort of carbon fiber/kevlar weave. Does this make a big difference? I would think it would help against penetration/abrasion quite a bit...

What else should I be looking at? My budget is about $200. With ebay that can include more expensive helmets though.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Don't buy used helmets you don't know what they been through. Look for a helmet that fits good has good air flow,has good venting. Removable liners are nice to have. Look for a DOT sticker and SNELL aprovied.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
$200 will get you a top notch HJC, KBC, or one of those new Scorpions. For a little more you could snag a Shoei or Suomy. The helmets with composite shells are lighter for sure, but there's no real way to know if they protect better because there aren't many impact tests published. I wouldn't bet against it though. Generally, more money gets you less weight, better venting and fit/finish. A good fit should be your first priority regardless. A model with a replaceable liner or cheek pads helps a lot in this area.

·
Registered
452 Posts
For less than $200, you can get an HJC AC-11 or a KBC VR-1 Euro from HelmetHarbor shipped to your door. Both have fiberglass composite shells and are Snell/DOT certified.

You should go to a local shop to try on helmets before ordering one online... different brands may fit differently even if the sizes are the same.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a KBC Vision coming in the mail. $260 msrp, carbon fiber/kevlar/lexan shell, removable pads, all that fancy stuff, for $120. Ebay is great for getting gear. Got my $550 1-pc. suit for $300 off of ebay.

And no its not used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts