Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NO LAG !!!
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
No it's not worth the money unless you have a 1k or above. No problems unless you have a bad chip though there are some horror stories like anything else. Save your money.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
SPOOLN GSXR said:
No it's not worth the money unless you have a 1k or above. No problems unless you have a bad chip though there are some horror stories like anything else. Save your money.
1K? It smoothed out the throttle on my 750 for the low gears. Also gave a little boost performance wise in the low gears.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
On the new GSXRs it will make the gear indicator always show 5th gear. I am not sure on what kind of long term damage that it could cause on the hard parts though.
 

·
NO LAG !!!
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Fast Glass said:
1K? It smoothed out the throttle on my 750 for the low gears. Also gave a little boost performance wise in the low gears.
You could get the same results from a PC. I talked to a few other shops that specialize in road race bikes that slapped them on the dyno. The TRE can make a 600/750 feel smoother but, there is sometimes a whp lose to create the illusion. A PC could do that and more. More low smooth low end wtq and whp. I really do feel that there are better ways to spend your dollar. The TRE is highly overated and results are exaggerated. No offense to you, it's just some of the dyno charts that I have seen with them.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
SPOOLN GSXR said:
You could get the same results from a PC. I talked to a few other shops that specialize in road race bikes that slapped them on the dyno. The TRE can make a 600/750 feel smoother but, there is sometimes a whp lose to create the illusion. A PC could do that and more. More low smooth low end wtq and whp. I really do feel that there are better ways to spend your dollar. The TRE is highly overated and results are exaggerated. No offense to you, it's just some of the dyno charts that I have seen with them.
Thats all good, but for the street rider who might make a track day every now and then, $20 compared to $300 is a big difference. Especially when they're not worried about getting every last hp out of the bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,772 Posts
Fast Glass said:
Thats all good, but for the street rider who might make a track day every now and then, $20 compared to $300 is a big difference. Especially when they're not worried about getting every last hp out of the bike.

That was my reasoning when I got one. I remember noticing a difference when I first installed it, but now I don't remember what it used to be like before.

One thing I did notice and did not like was that it suddenly liked to stall leaving from dead stop in first. I have to bring the RPM up a little more than I was used to, to prevent that from happening now.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
acalliste said:
One thing I did notice and did not like was that it suddenly liked to stall leaving from dead stop in first. I have to bring the RPM up a little more than I was used to, to prevent that from happening now.
I had to raise my idle rpm up a couple hundred. I've got it set for 1400 and runs like a champ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Does the TRE mod have any long term effects on the bike that anyone knows about...Im thinking about getting the TRE from Ebay that has the gear indicator...I was kinda surprised when I got the bike that the front end didnt even hint in wanting to come up...will this mod do anything about that kind of bogging in first gear..will the front end come up without dumping the clutch?
 

·
NO LAG !!!
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
genes81 said:
Does the TRE mod have any long term effects on the bike that anyone knows about...Im thinking about getting the TRE from Ebay that has the gear indicator...I was kinda surprised when I got the bike that the front end didnt even hint in wanting to come up...will this mod do anything about that kind of bogging in first gear..will the front end come up without dumping the clutch?
There is no long term effects. You won't have to worry about your bike going to rehab. :eek:nfloor Just make sure that it isn't an EBAY knockoff. If it is there is a possibilty that you could cause damage to a motor (worst case scenario). I heard a few of those cases(don't buy cheap products). I personally don't know how to tell the difference being that I don't use one.

If you want it to loft the front wheel I assure you that it will. That mod by itself won't make a substantial difference, it's more subtle. The bogging is from the lack of wtq on the low end. Inline 4's are know for that plus they give you track gearing so it's not designed for launches. When professionals launch, their rpms are at 8+k so anything below 4.5k on the street I'm sure is soft. The front end will come up but, you have to put a bit of effort. You can also do power wheelies and yes there is enough whp to make it happen. It's really how you ride that determines how your bike will respond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Thanx, I guess I'll give it some time and practice! Oh and thats good news about not having to put my bike in rehab!!LOL:twofinger I appreciate the info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,922 Posts
I don't think you'll notice too much difference with a TRE installed on a 600. Maybe a little more on a 750. I have one on my 600, but I got it that way so I never rode it without one.

I have TRE's and PCIII's installed and dyno tuned on both of my bikes. For my 1k, I had them done at the same time so it's hard to tell how much of the change was due to one or the other.

Basically, the Suzuki ECU uses different ignition maps for each gear. A PCIII by itself modifies only fueling maps.
A TRE does not modify ignition maps the way that a Dynojet ignition module does, it merely restores unrestricted factory ignition timing.

Suzuki's ignition maps retard ignition timing at partial throttle in the lower gears, reducing hp to some degree until you go WOT. For all models, 5th gear is totally unrestricted (not retarded). For 1k and 'busa models, 6th gear has a top speed/rpm limiter.

They do this for a variety of reasons. To save you from yourself, perhaps? :lol
Probably to create the impression of smoother throttle response as well.
Possibly for noise and/or emmisions reasons, too.

So, there is a potential for a little more power at less than full throttle if you can access the non-retarded ignition maps. How much power depends on the application. Don't expect huge or substantial gains. And remember, using full or almost full throttle accesses those unrestricted maps.

For 1k and 'busa owners, you can achieve your bike's full top speed potential with the addition of the TRE by eliminating the top speed/rpm limiter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,623 Posts
I just installed a smart TRE on my 750 K7 this weekend......made a difference on the low gears....PCIII and Pipe on the way.......For those that it made no difference on I really do not understand.....Everyone i know that has installed them raves about the gains.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but...

Can a TRE for an '02 750 fit on an '03 750? And here is a real dumb question - where does this TRE fit? I saw 3 similar looking connectors under the gas tank.
 

·
Ride.
Joined
·
940 Posts
Smooth the throttle? No.
A TRE simply Eliminates the Timing Retard. Hence TRE.
You're gonna get quicker throttle response by using it.
A PC3 does something different. One is not a good alternative to the other. You're not gonna get the same effect from a PC3. Nor is a TRE a cheap alternative to a PC3.
I've had both on all my Suzukis. For the price, the TRE makes a noticeable difference.
If you're gonna get a custom map or any dyno tuning done to your bike. Do that first, THEN add the TRE.
OEM said:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but...

Can a TRE for an '02 750 fit on an '03 750? And here is a real dumb question - where does this TRE fit? I saw 3 similar looking connectors under the gas tank.
The part is the same for the above mentioned bikes.
It fits on the white one.
 

·
NO LAG !!!
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
^ I see where your getting at with the "smooth throttle" but, I think that it was interpreted wrong. It's the way the power hits is what makes the throttle feel smoother is what I was getting at. Stock 600's-1k's have a somewhat sluggish feel on low revs than all of a sudden hit hard into the powerband. It's even evident on dyno charts. It really comes down to how you ride. If you granny gear alot then, I see where it can be of some use to have a TRE. It's not necessarialy quicker throttle response that is felt. It's not having to go through that sluggish feel that is felt. If it is being used for race purposes, then there is no purpose being that any rider that is really low in the revs will be slow regardless. Don't let feel or a sense of speed take away from the facts. Lap/ strip times don't lie, only the butt dyno does. Show me a difference there and I will be more liable to believe but, since those test have already been done both independently and from notables in road racing and drag racing, I don't see the point.

Please don't forget that advancing timming on a tuned bike is foolish. By having a PC3 tuned then by throwing on a TRE could possibly cause really lean conditions that may lead to harmful engine detonation that will lean to failure. The big part of going to the dyno is to get the correct AFR and then by add mods later can only throw it out of whack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
051000RR said:
I just installed a smart TRE on my 750 K7 this weekend......made a difference on the low gears....PCIII and Pipe on the way.......For those that it made no difference on I really do not understand.....Everyone i know that has installed them raves about the gains.....
Any problem with the gear indicator? Mine is always showing 5th gear.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top