Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i have two jobs before me to choose from.

job A its a 50 miles daily commute to get there and back, its $14 an hour and is pretty much going to always be data entry related government work. Ive worked there before and it was a decent place to work other than its SUPER politically correct there cause its at a Consular center and run by the Dept of State.

job B is about 10 miles there and back, I have a friend who works there and family member thats a manager. Its collections. starts off at about 10-12 an hour and has bonus potential up TO but probably not more than 1200 a month extra. Its a more stressful job I am sure.

I have an interview monday with job B and I have it in the bag thanks to friends and family but job A is going to call me in at any time to start my finger prints and back ground check and all of that.

I am leaning towards job B since I don't want to kill my car and also I feel like job A has less potential to move up. Benefits for both jobs are identical except job B has 401K matching 100%

I am also incredibly thankful to have a choice like this, I know people struggle every day to find good jobs. I am currently working as a corrections officer and I am not getting along with the way things are run, example: its common to work 12 hours and not get a break or lunch, When I mention this I am just told that its pretty normal and people have called the labor boards on the dept. before and all it did was get them fired. Also working 7am to 7pm is kinda crappy the only good part is lots of days off every other week. I am currently making 9.55 when I feel the job is worth at least 12 an hour considering the responsibility and mental resilience required to work there and not blow your brains out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
From the looks of it I'd go with B too. Something about keeping up appearances for 40+ hours a week would get under my skin if I can't be myself. Forget the higher pay.

Short commute is a priviledge, so is having a buddy at the workplace. Considering where you come from and your opinion of it, B is looking like a double winner over A :beach

Coming from a dude having a hard time finding a job, I've been unemployed for so long I don't know where to start nowadays, other than more and better schooling...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looking at just transportation costs, job A is an extra 80 miles per day round trip, which is 400 miles a week. That's 1600 miles more per month for job A vs job A (assuming 4 weeks per month for simplicity). At 30 miles/gallon and $3.50 per gallon for gas, that'll be $186 a month in gas prices alone for job A vs job B.

At $14 hour vs $10 an hour you make $640 more per month at job A, but that's really $454, and that doesn't include extra car maintenance owing to the longer commute for job A. Now $450 is a lot of money, but also, how much is your time worth? You're talking half an hour round trip vs 2 hours everyday.

Plus you said there's more potential for pay increases and bonuses at job B, plus it has 401k options. Friends and family at a job can be a double edged sword sometimes, but job B sounds like the better option to me.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Job B.

Remember that 50 miles a day racks up mileage and gas bill.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Your 28 , is it not time you set your sights a bit higher ? Neither of those jobs sounds very good , the pay is breadline money , the hours are long and it doesn't sound like any particularly valuable skills will be learned . Or am I missing something ?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Honestly, I'd stick with Job A. Government may suck, but I'm sure the benefits are good and there's always somewhere to move up to. I started at a data entry/customer service position, and I'm now I'm writing custom reports and databases 8 1/2 years later. Think about moving closer. At one point I was commuting 50 miles/day round trip. Now I'm at 36 miles/day, and sooner or later I'll be within 2 miles after all this shit with my kid gets hammered out.

Also, collections sucks. Period. It's telemarketing but you're trying to collect money from people that most likely don't have it, never will, and are trying to avoid you to begin with otherwise they probably wouldn't be in collections.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Your 28 , is it not time you set your sights a bit higher ? Neither of those jobs sounds very good , the pay is breadline money , the hours are long and it doesn't sound like any particularly valuable skills will be learned . Or am I missing something ?
You are missing something. KY's minimum wage is $7.25 and our cost of living is very low. $12/hour is respectable. Our full time RN nurses make only about $15/hour. Our gas, as of today, was $3.54/gal and a pack of cigarettes is around $3.50-$4 (depends on brand).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
it was a decent place to work other than its SUPER politically correct there cause its at a Consular center and run by the Dept of State.
It may not bother some people at all (and some would prefer it), but that would be a death sentence for me. Having to be P.C. all the time is stressful enough in itself. That is one reason I like night shift, you don't have to censor your mouth as much.

Also, the 100% 401k match is HUGE. The place I work for only matches you up to 6% IIRC. That is a lot better than nothing, but if you could sacrifice and afford to bump your percentage way up, that's like giving yourself a raise of your choosing.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
lol, yeah you dumb asshole, just fucking bootstrap yourself into one of those hundred thousand dollar a year careers they're just giving away down the street, don't you know how easy it is?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Escape is from Kentucky? Huh
Headed that way in about 5 min. As soon as Robert gets his gear on. He is at least a decade older then I and doesn't move real quick, except when he has his Z1000 pointed in the right direction. Then he goes good.
I have to remember to stop when the cows start mooing in Yankee. It would be real sucky to get trapped someplace without real bar-b-que.
:welcome2

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would go with the job that makes you happy...otherwise you will just be another miserable f*#@ no one wants to be around. There are enough of those running around

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You are missing something. KY's minimum wage is $7.25 and our cost of living is very low. $12/hour is respectable. Our full time RN nurses make only about $15/hour. Our gas, as of today, was $3.54/gal and a pack of cigarettes is around $3.50-$4 (depends on brand).
So your golden , provided you never want to actually go anywhere else . A bit like living in an African township that runs it's own BM currency. Stay in the township yer rich , walk across the street you can't afford nuthin .

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
^^ But he isn't wanting to go anywhere else? If he was, he would get a job in another state? When you ride a bike in KY, you never wanna leave. :p

But he DID say Job B will match his 401k

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
^^ But he isn't wanting to go anywhere else? If he was, he would get a job in another state? When you ride a bike in KY, you never wanna leave. :p

But he DID say Job B will match his 401k

See , I always want to go somewhere else . Quite fancy Tunisia again and Egypt as a given . Not been to Greece yet and Iceland warrants another trip for the offroading nonsense . But you ain't doing any of that on $10 an hour .

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I think you should go with job B for now. While you are doing that go to USAJOBS.GOV and look up corrections in the BOP. Apply for a job as an officer with the BOP and start off making a little over 20 most likely. If while working for them you have problems with unfair labor practices you have a union you can go to. You have a great bennifits package with a good retirement on top of a 401k type program that they do match 100% up to 5 or 10% of your total pay. That would be my advice sir.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts