Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, what are we supose to do... let say if our bike breaks down in middle of high way? does triple A cover for motorcycles? or are there other company that work specificly for motorcycles

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Usually I just call someone I know who owns a truck. These days, cel phones make that easy, you don't even have to leave the bike. Most bikes are so reliable this shouldn't be a problem.

In 20 years of riding, I have only been broken down beside the road three times where I couldn't it going after tinkering with it for a while (all on the same 1978 Suzuki GS850 - which I owned for like 12 years).

The first was when I let the gas run low and some crap in the tank got sucked into the carbs and lodged in a needle valve, causing the float bowl to overfill overflow. A Harley guy stopped and when we couldn't get it running he went home, got his truck and took me home. Easy fix.

Two when the throttle cable snapped because I was being a gorilla. This was the worst because I was in downtown Seattle (about 60 miles from home) after work on a Wednesday night. I called a friend who took me home to get my truck while I left the bike in the parking lot of some store. It made a long night, but it was an easy fix.

Three when I seized the engine trying to limp my wounded bike home 50 miles. This was out in the country about two miles from home. A woman stopped not 30 seconds after I did and she took me home. I got my truck and went back. Wasn't any fixin' that time...

·
old member
13,079 Posts
In CA AAA doesn't tow bikes for free. They'll send a truck, but you have to pay. There are other m/c speccific towing services available. Ask around in your area. If you keep an eye on your bike's maintenance, the biggest issue on the road seems to be a nail or screw in the tire. That's the one thing that disabled my bike in over 45,000 miles of riding (happened once). I now carry a plug kit and CO2 cartidges to make an emergency fix and limp somewhere to get it taken care of. I figure that since I carry that I won't get another flat. I've already put air into two other bikes' tires though. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool,thanks for the infos
i cant think of anyfriends with truck atm , but im sure ill find one someday lol
ill definently ask around for a service thing too;) always need a backup plan heheh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts