Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what does a \m/ wave like that mean and what to do if battery is dead

I ride my motorcycle to work to save gas and the fact it is just fun, any ways I went to start my motorcycle and I couldn't get it to start, luck was on my side as I got it to start after the third time.

So it made me wonder what options do we have if our batteries dies? Is there like a triple A for bikes ?

haha it would suck to be stranded on the side of a country road !

also on my way home though bonosboro md, another sport bike pass me and gave me the rock hand symbol \m/ stuck his hand up twice near his helmet.

thought that was a cool wave, is there a meaning to that wave

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have a tiny lithium jump starter I take on trips and I also have a 10' male to male cig lighter plug cable that you can plug into a car or other bike then plug into your bike to start it that was around $6.95.

you can buy tiny jumper cables for around $20 or you can go to the dollar tree and buy a 99 cent 6' extension cord and then some alligator clips and make your own.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
AAA will NOT jump start a motorcycle. Found out the hard way.

But you can jump it, you can get them to flat bed it

I also have coverage under my AMA membership, not sure if they will jump it or not

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just bump start it. Run along side it as fast as you can in first with the clutch pulled in, jump onto it and when your ass hits the seat dump the clutch. If it doesnt work after a few tries put it in second gear. B***** bikes sometimes require third. Or if youre near a hill just roll down it and dump the clutch. Make sure the key is turned on and your killswitch is on

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Just bump start it. Run along side it as fast as you can in first with the clutch pulled in, jump onto it and when your ass hits the seat dump the clutch.

EFI bikes require specific voltage for the systems to work. If the battery is too low, bump starting may not work

V-twins, I don't think we can bump start. For shits and grins, I got going 70 mph, pulled in the clutch in 6th gear, hit the kill switch off then on, and feathered the clutch trying to bump start it. I locked up the rear wheel a couple times trying, and as I recall, I didn't end up getting it started. SOB's got a ton of resistance to bump starting.

That was interesting, since it's got an assisted clutch that is a type of slipper, but I'm guessing it didn't work because the engine was off and wasn't supplying power to the mechanism

·
Registered
859 Posts
ive bumped started 650r and r1 and it was doable. luckily, in both occasions, i was on a slight decline slope so it helped a little. also my battery wasnt completely dead, it just wasnt strong enough to start the engine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just bump start it. Run along side it as fast as you can in first with the clutch pulled in, jump onto it and when your ass hits the seat dump the clutch. If it doesnt work after a few tries put it in second gear. B***** bikes sometimes require third. Or if youre near a hill just roll down it and dump the clutch. Make sure the key is turned on and your killswitch is on
Yeah, what he said! :agree But I just start with third gear first.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, this is something to try and share.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
EFI bikes require specific voltage for the systems to work. If the battery is too low, bump starting may not work

V-twins, I don't think we can bump start. For shits and grins, I got going 70 mph, pulled in the clutch in 6th gear, hit the kill switch off then on, and feathered the clutch trying to bump start it. I locked up the rear wheel a couple times trying, and as I recall, I didn't end up getting it started. SOB's got a ton of resistance to bump starting.

That was interesting, since it's got an assisted clutch that is a type of slipper, but I'm guessing it didn't work because the engine was off and wasn't supplying power to the mechanism
What vtwin were you trying to bump? My SV650 wasn't too hard, usually only took two or three tries in 2nd gear. Im sure it has to do with the displacement, but maybe the angle of the cylinders plays a roll too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts