Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Yamaha XJ 600. I purchased this bike around the middle of June, it needed a back tire when I got it and I have already put 1,000 miles on it. I think I am going to get both tires the front is ok but I might as well do it if I am going to the trouble of doing one.

In case no one knows this bike is not exactly a SS bike, it is more of a cross between sport tourer and sportbike. I live in the middle of nowhere with only flat cornfields around so there is no real great twisty roads but I have found a few. So the good corners are few and far between but I still do ride some.

I want a tire that will handle good, perform good, also in rain if needed, and last. I think I will be riding this bike to college this fall which is a 40 mile ride both ways so I will need something that will do atleast this.

Right now the bike has Bridgestone Battlax BT45 (130/70-18 back, 110/90-17 front)

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
+1 on the Z6's... I'm going this week to get a new Z6 for my rear. I've got the Sportec M1 on there now but it's on it's last legs, only got about 5000 out of it. My last Z6 I got 13,000 miles out of it so I'm going back to that.

And you ain't kidding about living in the middle of nowhere with flat cornfields everywhere, LOL. I've been to Shelbyville before... not all too far from where I used to live at in Decatur a couple years ago

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm running the Mz6 on a SS and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
457 Posts
EVN,

One problem you'll find with the Seca is the non-standard rear wheel size. It takes a 130/70HH18, not a 17" tire, which is wierd, and hard to find. I've got Metzler 330/550 combo on my bike. but I've heard others mention the BattleAx as a good tire for the Seca.

I can't seem to find the Z6 for that size.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
thanks for the info guys, I am riding my bike to work, 48 miles one way. And with only 6200 miles on the bike, the stock tires are starting to look a little thin already :eek:(

·
Registered
525 Posts
I used to run Avon Azzaro II's or Michelin Maccadams on my ZX-11 and ZX-12. both bikes eat tires up way too fast, but these got better mileage than others I had tried and still had enough grip for me too. If they make either one in your size, they would probably be a good choice.
Someone once told me that no one is as fast as they think they are. Most of us could probably get by with a harder tire than we think we need.

·
Registered
424 Posts
One thing to watch out for, did your bike come with radial tires or bias-ply? The reason is that if it came with bias ply(which I'm guessing it did, since the BT-45's are bias-ply tires) you don't want to put radials on the bike, it will adversly effect the handling of the bike. Seriously, there have been several articles written(most recently in Sport Rider I think, in the question/answer segment in the back of the mag) that address this. There are lots of good bias-ply tires out there fr your bike, so don't ruin the handling by getting a radial thinking it will be better than a bias-ply.

BTW, do you not like the BT45's? I've heard from lots of people that they're excellent tires. If you don't like them give the Pirelli Sport Demon's a try, I had those on my old CB750F and they were great, loads of grip and very good feel.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Camride said:
One thing to watch out for, did your bike come with radial tires or bias-ply? The reason is that if it came with bias ply(which I'm guessing it did, since the BT-45's are bias-ply tires) you don't want to put radials on the bike, it will adversly effect the handling of the bike. Seriously, there have been several articles written(most recently in Sport Rider I think, in the question/answer segment in the back of the mag) that address this. There are lots of good bias-ply tires out there fr your bike, so don't ruin the handling by getting a radial thinking it will be better than a bias-ply.

BTW, do you not like the BT45's? I've heard from lots of people that they're excellent tires. If you don't like them give the Pirelli Sport Demon's a try, I had those on my old CB750F and they were great, loads of grip and very good feel.
generally speaking its not good to combine different types of tires ie: bias front, radial rear or vice versa. many older bikes have been retro fitted with radial tires with no consequence.

moot point really as far as the poster is concerned. you aren't going to find radial tires in that tire size. the Z6 is the best tire available that comes in that odd-duck 18" rim size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts