Price: $91.10

Description: DIABLO 180/55ZR17 (73W)
Price: $116.15

shipping, 6.00 each so 12.00 total- shipping

Slava

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
Since I started racing in '96 I have only used Dunlops. I have used 204's, 364's, 207's, & most recently 208's. I like the experience I have had in consistency from tire to tire and the fact that they don't just suddenly let go. I don't like messing with tire warmers either and the Dunlops have always been a great cold tire for me. I think it's great when I smoke the guys on the 1st lap that had tire warmers on, gives me a sense of having better skill in riding on slippery tires or tires that aren't up to operating temp yet.

Here's a testimonial about how good the Dunlop's have been for me. I raced '96, '97, '98, '99, and a few random events in 2000. I purchased a set of Dunlop 207 GP's at the Race of Champions at Daytona in the fall of '99 and had them mounted on my 600. I race at the Race of Champions then the random races in 2000 on those tires before taking 2 seasons off due to massive debt from racing. Because I wanted to stay involved I returned to racing mid-way thru '02 on my 600, but at a greatly diminished capacity due to still having ALOT of debt. Due to not being able to afford the massive tire bill required to run up front, along with the entry fees, I just used that same set of 207 GP's that were mounted on the bike back in '99. I ran 1/2 of the '02 season plus all of the '03 & '04 seasons on that same set of tires! It wasn't until the 2nd to last event in '04 that I got on my 750 which had a new set of 208's on it. You would think that those 207's I had on my 600 would have been junk, but even after years of racing on them I was still able to run times about 10% off the track record, which is faster than most people will ever go at a track day event, even on brand new tires.

I have always wondered why people change their tires so often, I was taught that if their not sliding then don't replace them (If it aint broke, don't fix it!). When I was a front running Expert back in the 90's I would race between 15 and 20 individual races on 1 set of tires (no tire warmers either), on top of the racing I would also have between 5 and 10 race length practice sessions on them as well. This figures out to be between 20 to 30 very hard sessions on each pair of tires I raced on and I usually finished top 5 or close to it. I personally feel that if your doing track days you should buy the best set of race tires you can afford and use that 1 pair all season long. I highly doubt you will realistically ride beyond the capability of those tires in 1 season, just remember 'If it aint slidin, don't replace em'! :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Another Vote for pilot race , M2 rear , s2 front sometimes M2 front . Best yet , when you get a set of C tires from the trackside seller . The rear offers a nice controlabe slide , the front is the same . Great tires for about 4 heat cycles then there just practice and trackday tires . But if your running trackdays i highly recomend the H2 , there good enough for a midpack amatur rider and plenty good for a trackday rider

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Last track day I used fairly new sportec M1's and they worked way better than what I expected. I didn't expected street tires to do so well at a track day. I think I'm gonna get me a set of wheels with D208 GP's on them. Time to run the track with some real tires.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i woud go with perelli dragon super corsa you can still use them on the street when your done... well maby not leagely but you still can!

those are street legal, but they get hard after a few heat cycles. for some reason my friends swear by them.

I've never ridden track before and I need a set of tires. what do you guys suggest? I'm thinking pirelli diablos since its my first time on the track.

·
Registered
331 Posts
mattg said:
those are street legal, but they get hard after a few heat cycles. for some reason my friends swear by them.

I've never ridden track before and I need a set of tires. what do you guys suggest? I'm thinking pirelli diablos since its my first time on the track.
If It's your First time on the track and you will be riding on the street also with the tires you pick , diablo corsa's would be a good choice IMO.
I am going to assume that you dont have tire warmers.
If you are going to ride the Track only with tire warmers , then go with super corsas but ask around to find out what compound combination is best for the track you will be riding as they come in multiple compounds.
Super Corsa's are not the best for street tires because they will not tolerate the heat cycles involved with street riding over a long period of time where as the Diablo Corsa's will .

Also , if you choose the Diablo Corsas , there is alot of talk about what pressure to run in them.
Some say 36 front / 34 rear.
I ran 31 front and 30 rear cold in 74* at jennings last weekend and I was very happy with that.
Let us know how it turns out , have fun at the track . :cheers

101 - 112 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.