Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmm?

Right now I go with the Pirelli Diablo Corsas. I don't do enough TD's or race (or have the money) for super dooper track tires. $400 a set just isn't in my budget.

So what are your favorite pair of rubber for the track?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got back from a my first track day and I was using Diablo Corsa. They warmed up real fast and seemed like a fairly good tire until I went down in a tight corner. I really think that if I were riding a racing tire I wouldn't have gone down but you live you learn. Look at it this way, $400 for some race tires, or $1500 for new plastics. I know what I'll use next time. My buddy went down on the Corsa that day too but I think he would have gone down anyway even with a race tire. It's up to you but I know what I'll be using a racing tire next time.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flatout said:
Rennsport, 208gp-a's,
$Hookabrothaup!$ :)

Does Flatout sell tires?

·
Registered
398 Posts
gixxum6 said:
I just got back from a my first track day and I was using Diablo Corsa. They warmed up real fast and seemed like a fairly good tire until I went down in a tight corner. I really think that if I were riding a racing tire I wouldn't have gone down but you live you learn. Look at it this way, $400 for some race tires, or $1500 for new plastics. I know what I'll use next time. My buddy went down on the Corsa that day too but I think he would have gone down anyway even with a race tire. It's up to you but I know what I'll be using a racing tire next time.
I somewhat have to disagree with you, most of the time a rider will not max out their tires. Usually bad riding is what causes a rider to lowslide. or not warm enough tires.

how many laps before you went down.

note: i'm not saying your a bad rider. I'm just saying i've seen too many people go out on the 1-2 lap and hit it hard and wonder why they lowside. And usually blame the tires.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Flatout said:
I somewhat have to disagree with you, most of the time a rider will not max out their tires. Usually bad riding is what causes a rider to lowslide. or not warm enough tires.

note: i'm not saying your a bad rider. I'm just saying i've seen too many people go out on the 1-2 lap and hit it hard and wonder why they lowside. And usually blame the tires.

Do not forget those that lowside due to coming into the corner TOO HOT, causing a late braking situation, tucking the front. Of course is not a tire issue. A rider issue it be.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
Do not forget those that lowside due to coming into the corner TOO HOT, causing a late braking situation, tucking the front. Of course is not a tire issue. A rider issue it be.

another very good point. +1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Flatout said:

how many laps before you went down.

I had over 15 laps on a 2.5 mile track with those tires when I went down and I know they were warm. I'm not blaming the tires for going down but I really think some slicks would have definitely helped. I had taken that corner the same way all day so the only thing I can think of is the guy in front of me must have haucked a big luggie right on my line because god knows it's never the riders error. J/K. Ok, maybe I was a little hot going into that turn :2fingers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
Lowside from a tire loosing grip would cause that too. Proper tires with the right track grip will keep it from happening 9 times out of 10.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
diablo corsas, i'm debating on trying race tires next time out though just to see the difference. bf uses supercorsas and they seem to be holding up well considering he beats it like it owes him money

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've got a pig ZRX but I love it. Going for trackday 7 at VIR Aug 2nd. I've run M-1's, 012SS's, 208GP's, and 207RR's. The Dunlops take the cake. Even the 207RR did very well. The next would be the 012SS's. Not a bad tire at all!!!! Just the ZRX is a little heavy. Don't get me wrong, other ZRX'ers buzzed me on a more worn set at Roebling. I just got a set of the new 002's. Soft front and med rear. Look like some sweet tires. I was wondering if any of you guys have tried them. They're about $320 delivered from Parts411. Heard a ZX12 guy thought they were great. Anywho, I'm listening. Haven't really put the Rex down yet cetp for a light get off at Deal over a year ago.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ran the Dunlop 208ZR (I think whatever they're putting on stock GSXRS now) and they held very nice, didn't loose any traction at all. However I wasn't racing and I had my bike in second gear virtually the whole time to minimize the jerkyness in turns.

Overall I'm very pleased though I didn't have any problem at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently run Pirelli Diablo Corsas.

I ran my first three track days with BT010s. They were fine for my speed at the time.

Next ran Michelin Race Pilots (the older, discontinued model). Never had much of an issue with them, although I got the rear to slide a lot.

When the Race Pilots were discontinued, I went with Pirelli Super Corsas. Fine tires, but once I got much faster, I found they heat cycled to some extent and were sliding around after 1 1/2 - 2 days. Also, they only lasted 3 days at a fast pace.

Currently on my first set of Diablo Corsas. These things stick like glue and wear like iron. The only time I felt a rear slide was at Beaver Run with only one lap in. Never felt them slide anywhere else.

I have 5 track days on them so far and am reversing the rear and hope to get another two days out them. I can't say enough good things about these tires.

They are not race tires though and need different tire pressures. I ran 30F/29R to 31F/30R on the Super Corsas. I run 32F/34R on the Diablo Corsas although some recommend even higher pressures.

Do a search at the NESBA BBS for 'Diablo Corsa pressure' for some helpful reviews on this tire.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm a Bridgestone fan but I haven't had a chance to get my new 002's(both Mediums) on the track yet. When I go to Summit Point in Aug, they'll be on the bike.

If any of you guys are using the BT-002, what tire pressures are you running? I think I'll use a base of 30/30 until I see how they perform.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
Lowside from a tire loosing grip would cause that too. Proper tires with the right track grip will keep it from happening 9 times out of 10.
I believe FLATOUT may have covered that angle previous! :admin4

·
Registered
200 Posts
I might run 30/32 because the front is a soft one. I'll go from there also. The ZRX is about a 100lbs more than most of the bikes out there.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
My 1st and 2nd trackday were on M1's, worked very well for the times I was runnin then. Thats what I ride for street use anyway.

Once my times were getting decent for that track I went to Metzler Rennsports Med/Med comp. They are awesome tires, on my second set now. They lasted 3 days (2 1/2 anyways, have to account for the wreck. LOL)
The 3rd day, late in the day, I noticed feeling some bumpiness. Took a look and saw that the tread pattern slits were coning up, weird-never heard of this. They were done anyways.

The one thing bout tire selection is, if your running OK times at that track a street tire would be best to use. They can withstand alot more heat cycles than a race tire. If you are running farely fast times for that track then you might want to consider goin with race tires.

Just my opinion. :)

Have fun, speed safe

·
Registered
139 Posts
I absolutly hated Diablo corsas.vague feedback,way to much carcass flex and nobody seems to know the "proper" psi to run in them.

I'm currently using 208gp's but will try the 208rr's when they are available.I really liked the 207rr's..

1 - 20 of 112 Posts