Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dunlop 220 rear is shot after 4300 mi of normal riding. I got more out of the Pilot Sports that came with my F4i. I think it might be that a twin is harder on the rear and all. Anyway I did some research and am getting some Avon 45/46's for $230 . This got me thinking ,what dose everyone run on thier bikes and what kind of wear rate do you get? I know every answer is going to be biased because of everything from engine style , riding habits , and how often you cheak the air in the tires but let's have a go anyway.
jesse

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Metzeler M1's for me. I love them. Usually get about 5-6k out of a rear and double that on the front.

·
Registered
878 Posts
On my SV I put on Metzler M1 Sportecs after the OEM tires wore off.

The last M1 rear I managed just over 5000 miles. If you get them you'll love the new found grip compared to the stock tires. I changed out the front M1 after I went through 2 rears, so about 10,000 on the front. Could have went farther on it though because I didn't see any wear bars.

I also put M1's on my KTM.

The FZ1 is now trying out Prielli Diablos. I normally run Metzler MEZ4's on this bike since it's my long distance bike, but Integrity Power Center got me a good deal on them and wanted me to try them out and report back to them.

I think they have about 2000 miles on them now and they look ok and stick better than the MEZ4's. (Even though I can drag pegs and exhaust pipes just fine on the MEZ4's) We'll see how the mileage goes with the Diablos. Next week by this time I'll have another 2000 miles on those tires.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
My Aprilia RSV-Ris currently shod (wow - that sounds pretty professional) with Perelli Diablo Corsas. Awesome tire - tremendus grip for a street tire. Just got 'em last weekend, so I can't comment on wear - but wet grip was verified good last night.

Those replaced OEM Perelli Dragon SuperCorsas (DOT Race tire) which I got an amazing 4000 street/track miles (7 track days!) out of. I disgarded them not because of wear or ruined profile - but I'd had them through so many heat cycles they simply became too hard for track use. Probably another good 2000 miles of street tread left. Piss poor in the wet (almost dangerous) and takes a long time to come up to temp. Then agian, they are supersport tires...

I had Pilot Sports on my F3 when I sold it. I loved 'em. Great wet grip, and reasonable warm up times, even on the street. Probably my current favorite (in time to be passed by the Diablos?).

Dunlop D207RR - a step up in grip from the 208 - but still crap due to the same downfalls.

Before that, Dunlop D-208ZR. How they pass this off as a performance tire, I'll never know. Horrible warm up times, not very good grip (I caught a lot of slides, especially on the street) in the dry, pretty poor in the wet, and about as stable as my ex-girlfriend due to a)That rediculas sharp profile b)Lack of any stabilizing ridge in the tread design.

Dunlop D207's - I didn't know how to really ride a bike hard when I had these, so they seemed good enough...

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Round Black Rubber ones.

·
Registered
348 Posts
sexNstillettos said:
Round Black Rubber ones.
Yes- horribly underinflated round black rubber ones if I recall correctly...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I got d208s and pretty happy with them tho I think Im going to try the diablos next go round

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've run D207 or D208's for the last 6 years on various bikes. I've always liked them. I _hated_ the OEM Metzlers on the SV. I've been thinking about trying out the Battleaxe 010s though.

I've had 7k on the 207s on my SV, and they're still fine for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I run Pilot Sports front and rear. I have always used 208's in the past but they didn't seem to last long and not the best grip, especially on wet roads. They Pilot Sport in the rear just lasted me 4,800 miles and I still had some life on it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
RC51 said:
No shit! 236.10 shipped is awesome! I guess that's where I'll be buying them from
Its weird this came up because I just ordered a new M1 rear tire from there this morning.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I have been running Dunlop D207's on most of my bikes for awhile now. I think after the currents set on my gsxr are burnt off I'm going to try some Bridgestones.

As for the ZX10, I still have the stock Dunlop D218's. They are better than the 207's, but still not a great tire. I'm still debating on what I'm going to be putting on it next.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Here is a good price on some closeout Dunlops... Rear and front (not closeout but cheap) I bought a set a couple of weeks ago.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I have the new Bridgestone BT014's and they kick ass. Even when they are cold they dont slide around like my old Donlop Sportmax's used to when they were hot.

They are so new though that I have no idea how long they last, and not too many people have reviewed them yet. But from my experience, and from reading the short blurbs that magazine editors have written, they seem to be a great tire.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I love my d208's, but I'm gonna try out Diablos this time.

·
Jerk
990 Posts
I think I have some sort of Dunlops. Corse put on a new set the day before I picked up the bike, and I have put about 1000 miles on them so far and I am happy. My GS500E had some crazy no name tires that I would have to inflate daily (lost 10-15 lbs overnight) and slid everywhere. I'm much happier with what I have now. I think the no name ones had some sort of fish themed name, like barracuda or shark or something.

Tom.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts