Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what tires do you recommend that are good for 20 mile commute to work (straights) but are also good for the weekend rides. Also, where is the best place/price to order them from?
grrr

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
bridgestone bt-020's

you'll need to shop local also, cuz some places won't mount tires, unless you buy from them.

www.ronayers.com

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
RACER X said:
bridgestone bt-020's

you'll need to shop local also, cuz some places won't mount tires, unless you buy from them.

www.ronayers.com
Those tires are junk. They were the stock ones on my bike. The front tire cupped badly by 3,000 miles and the rear was toast by 3,500.

I switched to Dunlop 208s and the front never cupped and lasted 6,000 miles. The rear wasn't that great for mileage, 2,500, but it sticks like glue.

beast_grrr, Check out the Michelin Pilot Roads. They stick very well and will outlast the BT-020s. I have a set of these on now and love 'em. I was down at Deal's Gap a few weeks back and the tire works great in the twisties and runs down the interstates very well. Base on current wear, I expect to get 6-7,000 out of the front and 4-5,000 out of the rear.
http://www.swmototires.com/

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
+1 for ronayers.com. I'd say check out the Metzeler Z6's. I have M1's now and I love them but the mileage sucks. I got 2k miles on them and they are starting to shred bad.

Oh yeah, I never heard anyone say 208's stick like glue. Dunlop :pisson

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced my tires about 3 months ago and went with some Metz Sportec M1s and I couldn't be happier. The grip is very impressive, they seem to wear very well, and the price was fantastic. :banana

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
moochie972 said:
I replaced my tires about 3 months ago and went with some Metz Sportec M1s and I couldn't be happier. The grip is very impressive, they seem to wear very well, and the price was fantastic. :banana
great tire, but overkill for the street........and mileage.......if you get high mileage on those tires you'd get 2x that out of other tires...

as for bt-020 sucking, ran 3 diff. sets for prolly 20k mi. and several trackdays......so i'd recommend them.

running michelin pilot roads right now.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm still caught in the dilemma of what tire to get, but this site seems to have pretty good prices.

http://www.americanmototire.com/

Currently I have Dunlop D207 Sportmax tires, but is on its last leg. Can anyone tell me how Metzeler Z6's compare? I want something that will last a little bit, but want AT LEAST as much traction in the corners (but would prefer more) as my current tires.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Metz MZ 6.......10,000 miles out of a rear and 2 to 1 on the front,great in the rain and you can't out ride them on the street.

where's my possie to back me up on this

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
another vote for the Z6's

·
Registered
809 Posts
i've never ridden on the z6's, but I rode with a guy who had those on a vfr800 and he was getting it leaned over to the edge of the tire and had no issues in the corners.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
+1 on the Z6's!! I got 13k out of my rear, and it always did great in the rain and everything, never had any traction problems at all. I've got the Sportec M1 right now just cuz I wanted to try it, and it's a great tire too but like mentioned, mileage sucks. It's only got around 4k on it and I think I'll be lucky to get another 1500 out of it. Next one will be another Z6

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
Z6???? You guys are always talking about the Z6....i can get my diablo corsas to slip in corners on my r1 when i'm doing semi-aggressive street riding. (well heated up to) Do you mean to tell me these Z6's are going to stay stuck in a corner at 10k RPMs (on a literbike) leaned over? If they do i'll take a pair because i only get about 2-3 k out of M-1s and Corsas........info please..... :popcorn

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Qwikk said:
Z6???? You guys are always talking about the Z6....i can get my diablo corsas to slip in corners on my r1 when i'm doing semi-aggressive street riding. (well heated up to) Do you mean to tell me these Z6's are going to stay stuck in a corner at 10k RPMs (on a literbike) leaned over? If they do i'll take a pair because i only get about 2-3 k out of M-1s and Corsas........info please..... :popcorn

Falco,,,,he rides a 1000cc Falco V-Twin.That thing is a torque monster and he never has any problems what so ever.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
10 - 13k out of a REAR? :eek: How in the hell are you doing that? I'm only getting 4.5 to 5k outta my rears, and (will probably be) 15k outta the front. Working on 3rd rear to the 1st front.

Great tires tho... I love 'em. In the 10k miles (so far) I've used 'em, they've yet to slip on anything yet. Get 'em from RonAyers. Just got my new rear from them last week. Ordered on tuesday, recieved on friday. Prices are good as well ($125 shipped).

·
Registered
954 Posts
TRaGiK said:
10 - 13k out of a REAR? :eek: How in the hell are you doing that? I'm only getting 4.5 to 5k outta my rears, and (will probably be) 15k outta the front. Working on 3rd rear to the 1st front.

Great tires tho... I love 'em. In the 10k miles (so far) I've used 'em, they've yet to slip on anything yet. Get 'em from RonAyers. Just got my new rear from them last week. Ordered on tuesday, recieved on friday. Prices are good as well ($125 shipped).
When do you replace your rear? Before the threads are showing?

·
Registered
954 Posts
2_wheeled_slave said:
What's the difference between the "180/55ZR17 B" and the "180/55ZR17" ? The "B" costs more.
The B is reinforced for for the weight of 1300CC bikes (BMW and busa)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Desp said:
When do you replace your rear? Before the threads are showing?

Ummm... yeah.

I try to replace when the tread bars hit...if not then, atleast before the tread bars disapear...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts