Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my stock 220's were shot after a paltry 4300mi , after doing some research and ordering some Avon 45/46's I got to thinking. What tires do you guys/gals run and how many mi do you get out of them? The tires I've run (on I-4's) Have been Pilot Sport(twice) and Road, Dunlop 204 and 208(twice) and Metzler MZ-4(thrice). The longest lived were the MZ-4's , shortest 220's (must be a twin thing) . The best grip goes to the Pilot Sports and the least to the 204's but I think that was because I didn't like them in the rain.Let's hear what you guys think.
jesse

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I have an '00 sv. Since the original Mez4's, I've run Pilot Sports (pretty good grip but long warm up), BT 010f/020r combo x2 or 3 (good compromise on grip/wear), BT 010 f/r (good grip lousy rear wear), and currently running Metz M1 (great grip so far, wear ?).

www.svrider.com has a searchable database of mods including tires.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ran the old sport II's on my bike, got about 2500-3000 miles for rear, twice that on front.

Got the new ST's and am real happy. Better in the wet (good thing this year) and seem to not compromise grip too much. Wearing much better than sport II's at about 1500 miles.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Always been a fan of Michelin Pilots, the new Supercorsas are looking like they might do well, haven't got to try them yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on how you ride. My bike is my only mode of transportation so, while I enjoy the twisties here in CA, I also need a decent tire life and good wet traction. The ME-6 seems to be a perfect answer. So far I love these tires. Good grip (not quite SportTecs), good wet traction, warm up very quickly, and very predictable. And a longer life to boot - but I can't back that one up since I only have 1000 miles on them. Keep in mind, the tread pattern requires that you buy both the front and rear to make the wet traction actually work. My 2 cents....

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I'm a big fan of M-1's but I ended up w/a set of Z6's and I havent been disappointed yet. I do most of my riding in the twisties and they have not let me down.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i have about 5k miles on my bt010r (on my gixxer) and barely any wear. really nice grip too. warm up doesn't take long at all.

i had m1's on my SV back in the day and got about 3500 out of them :eek:

the new z6 sounds like an awesome tire.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just got my first new set of tires on the SV, and I went with the Z6's as well. They kick ass, tons of grip, I guess well see about tire wear.
How long should these last for a 50/50 commute/twisties rider?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Mizatt said:
I just got my first new set of tires on the SV, and I went with the Z6's as well. They kick ass, tons of grip, I guess well see about tire wear.
How long should these last for a 50/50 commute/twisties rider?
I've got over 4000 on my rear z6 so far, i'm probably more at 45/55 and I have lots of rubber left on all angles. I'm guessing I'll see at least 10,000

1 - 10 of 10 Posts