Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rubber is on your R1? What are your impressions versus stock and why did you choose this brand?

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
I run Pirelli Diablo Corsas AKA DC's,.......they hold nice in the corners and give you enough confidence to think you could take on Rossi head to head......i've been able to hit 35 mph corners at about 110mph with a knee down with these things on the street,.....havent been to the track yet.....cant wait though.....I've also ran M-1's and like them as well, you will only get about 2000-2500 tops out of the DC's or the M-1's...usually less though......stock dunlops are complete junk........keep if mind these are street/track day biased tires......

·
Registered
910 Posts
Pirelli Supercorsas and Dragon Slicks, and Rennsports

·
Red Dragons
2,887 Posts
I've got Metzelers on mine,I only get around 2000 miles out of a rear,but they stick like glue.

·
I'm a lead farmer MF'r!
902 Posts
I run Pilot Powers as I am sure that's what a lot of people are going to run. Great traction control and great feedback.
Sniper.308

·
Registered
286 Posts
I run pilot race medium/soft............great race tire, or I'll run Bridgestone bt-002 race tires in medium compuond........great for track days, slide easily but predictably with excellent feedback near the ragged edge!

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
PR's medium on back, soft front. love them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have been told that a lot of people switch their R1's to 180's on the rear and wondered if many on here do and why. I imagine that they would give faster corner transitions but at the same time it makes me think about the fact that Yamaha put 190's on for a reason and maybe I should stick with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been told that a lot of people switch their R1's to 180's
I need to read the forums more; I haven't heard of this. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

Back to topic: IMO, the OEM Dunlop 218's are just about dangerous, they are so slippery. During heavy leaning, the rear D218 has slipped numerous times on me, in many different situations. Fortunately, I am burning through them quickly and will mount up some Pilot Powers when these D218s are done....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Warchild said:
Back to topic: IMO, the OEM Dunlop 218's are just about dangerous, they are so slippery. During heavy leaning, the rear D218 has slipped numerous times on me, in many different situations. Fortunately, I am burning through them quickly and will mount up some Pilot Powers when these D218s are done....
I totally agree. I have felt the 218's slip on me a few times while they were warmed up on dry pavement. I too will be putting on some powers when these are toast. I had these crappy 218's slip several times on me today, they suck!! I was going to do a track day but I have decided not to until I have different tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Weird, I've hearsd about these 218 being slippery. When I was running through some twisties with another guy, we stopped to wait for some others to catch up due to traffic and I was checking out my 218 and they were sticky. Throughout those twisties the tires never slipped at all. I guess the problems are when they are cold?
Well I'm thinking of getting a set of the Power Pilots anyways for the next set.

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the 208gp's on mine, and they are much better than the 218 stockers, however, the "experts" say theyre no good..............whatever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts