Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a slightly used '03 and the stock tires are well worn in the middle, lol ;) . I guess I'm debating between Sportec M1s or Pirelli Diablos. I have Sportecs on my 929 and they're fine, but maybe I should try the Pirellis? What is everybody using? Who went to a 180 and who stayed stock 190? I like the beefy look of the 190, but if the 180 is noticeably sharper handling I guess I'd go that way :cool:

Thanks for any opinions~

·
Registered
321 Posts
I run the stock 208s on my 03.. Been through countless sets! :) For my senior citizen style of riding, they are great!! :) I have standard diablos on my gixxer, and it could be pressure, or not giving time to get fully warm, but they are don't feel as sticky as the BT012ss that I usally run on my gixxer.

ceh

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've run only sportec M-1's and that's because I love them, and have never had any issues with them.

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
I run Diablo Corsas, with a 190 on the rear. Do some digging and you'll find that the RC likes a 190 rear. If you want sharper steering, adjust the suspension, i.e., ride height.

The Pirelli's work great....they heat up quick, and provide PLENTY of stick.

And on the track I run Pirelli Supercorsas.....also a 190 on the rear, but it's a 190/55 (slightly taller than the street 190/50).

CEH - you might try the Diablo Corsa on your GSXR.....it definitely heats up faster and sticks better than the regular Diablo.

Gov

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm on my second set of Pilots - love them once thier warm but that is the issue. Went out last night with another RC running Diablos & first pass could not get on the gas at the same spot as him (I could hear thanks to his Sato's) without spinning. Once they had heat the scond pass -great but its the waiting for temp I hate I might look into the new Pilot Power or just get the Diablo's I have seen from from behind now way too much!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Governor said:
I run Diablo Corsas, with a 190 on the rear. Do some digging and you'll find that the RC likes a 190 rear. If you want sharper steering, adjust the suspension, i.e., ride height.

The Pirelli's work great....they heat up quick, and provide PLENTY of stick.

And on the track I run Pirelli Supercorsas.....also a 190 on the rear, but it's a 190/55 (slightly taller than the street 190/50).

CEH - you might try the Diablo Corsa on your GSXR.....it definitely heats up faster and sticks better than the regular Diablo.

Gov
Will do, I got the standard Diablos on the promotion. Couldn't pass that up! :)

ceh

·
Registered
842 Posts
hahah waiting for the heat man thats hell! I have diablo corsas which to me feel better than the m-1's i was using before. The corsas heat up quick and stick really good. only complaint is i know they are wearing pretty fast! I tried going to a 180 last time as well and that didnt change turn in much at all. I went back to 190 rear and it is a better feel for me.

Viper, that was prety fun place but im still sorting out the fuse problem :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently changed the stock ME3 for the same reason. I went with the
M-1s only because I had the M3 on the front. But will probably go with the Diablos as I think next change will be front and rear. 190

·
Florida Forum Moderator
3,598 Posts
freakinhungover said:
The corsas heat up quick and stick really good. only complaint is i know they are wearing pretty fast!
I hear ya on the wear....they do go pretty quick. But I'll take that over hittin' the ground 'cause my tires didn't hook any day of the week! :D

Gov

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sportec M1's here and I stayed 190 in the back. I have heard bad things about going 180, even though I haven't tried it myself. It should also be mentioned that I don't have a whole lot of twisties to get into trouble with around here!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm going through this right now. Got it narrowed down to 4 now:

D207RR
D208
Diablo Corsa
BT-014

I got the bike used with 13k on it, so its got 'replacement' tires on it... D207s The rear is just about ready to be changed, but I dont want to keep the D207 up front and mix the set.

I definatly want something stickier than the D207s that are on there now. I know I will suffer in longevity, but who said its suppose to be cheap!

I'm staying with the 190 rear.

Any comments on my choices? The Diablo Corsas seem to be at the top of my list now, but is it worth an extra $50 for just the rear over the D208?

·
Registered
842 Posts
i havent burned a set of 208s yet but my corsas are great. i will warn you though man i dont have 2000 miles on them yet and the back tire has almost had it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the stock 208s but when I need new tires, I'll be buying the M1s. I have M1s on my 929 and LOVED them. Haven't tried Pirellis. 180s are nice but I like 190s for the b***** contact patch. The RC handles great already with 190s. Also, if there wasnt much difference from 190 to 180 with Pirellis, it may be because the Pirellis are pointier. I've read that the Diablo Corsas are a pointier tire than most brands which helps turn in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Race Wheels:
Metzler RS1/RS2 120/70 ft 190/55 rear

Street Wheels
Diablo Corsas 120/190 (scored them during the Buy 1 Get 1 Free) promotion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I went with the Pirelli Diablos....120/190...although haven't had 'em mounted yet on the RC. My 929 has had two sets of M1s with no complaints, but I want to try something else. Considered the Diablo Corsas, but since this bike is fairly new and won't be hitting the track, the extra $100 and shorter tread life didn't look so good. I'll report on the Diablos later... :leghump

·
Registered
21 Posts
i normally run a nice sticky metzler z3 but i have been intrdouced to a nice pair of mich. race piolts 2 they are really nice int the twisties

1 - 19 of 19 Posts