Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody raves about "the dragon".. Websites EVERYwhere about it, so what makes it worth the trip out there? For reference, in the mountains of Colorado, we have an entire state of roads with curves in the triple digits numbers.. if I make a trip to Deals, I want to know why it is so good.. Especially since half of the posts I read are about the number of cops out there.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
There's a whorehouse at the end and you get a free BJ.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
The gap is a great road, but the publicity has gotten it full of asshats - so don't bother coming!! :lol

Actually - it's great because of the technical difficulty and great flow with no driveways, etc. Many of the turns are very tight switchbacks and there's only one place that triple digits can be hit on it, and only by a few of us. If you want, e-mail me for the video and It will give you an idea of what it's about. We sell it through our website, but I'll send it to you, Punkwood, Cheap.

Also - alot of the rave about it is because of the atmosphere - seeing old friends at the crossroads, the beauty of the whole area, etc.. But if you can't ride for crap or want tou prove how fast you are to the world - PLEASE go do it somewhere else!

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, the atmosphere.. That actually makes a big difference.. The mountain roads in colorado are so numerous, that you hardly run into any other bikes, unless they are in your group.
Also, by my statement "triple digit turns", I meant that many roads have over a hundred turns and curves in them, all within a few miles of them..
My favorite road is called Lookout Mountain, (complete with "deadmans curve") and the max speed you can hit is about 45 before you get hard on the brakes for the next turn. It has about 23 hairpin turns in 5 miles..

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think the deals gap thing is 318 turns in 11 miles. don't know if theyre all hairpin, as I've never been there.

I plan on goiing though, to the Honda Hoot in Knoxville this June. I believe they're doing a sanctioned ride through the chernola skyway - is that right? - I think that's near or part of deals gap.

anyone else headed to the hoot?

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
MYKRAOWSY - Minx and I will be working at the Hoot - come find us at the Aprilia display.
After work we might go over and run the gap one evening with all the company guys.

Also - if any of you heads to the area, feel free to drop me an e-mail, we'd be glad to show you around when we're there - I'm there about twice a month!

·
Registered
878 Posts
mykrowsy said:
I believe they're doing a sanctioned ride through the chernola skyway - is that right? - I think that's near or part of deals gap.

anyone else headed to the hoot?
During Honda Hoot weekend the place will be bombarded with people riding really slow. Cherohala and Deal's Gap will be quite busy. We never did any of the rides that they talk about with the group. My dad, uncle, and I followed some of the loops backwards so that we wouldn't be stuck in a huge group. They don't have a sanctioned ride like you're thinking, I don't think. Not like they block off streets or anything. I donno. It would totally suck to be stuck in a parade mode through the Cherohala.

Mike (mykrowsy), you should meet Mike(PJFZ1) and Paige if you're down there. They're both my motorcycling buddies :)

Mike (PJFZ1) - I've ridden with mykrowsy before and see him around local events all the time. The world certanially gets tiny when you own a motorcycle. :)

Ride safe,
Matt

·
Registered
586 Posts
FZ1 Matt said:
During Honda Hoot weekend the place will be bombarded with people riding really slow. Cherohala and Deal's Gap will be quite busy. We never did any of the rides that they talk about with the group. My dad, uncle, and I followed some of the loops backwards so that we wouldn't be stuck in a huge group. They don't have a sanctioned ride like you're thinking, I don't think. Not like they block off streets or anything. I donno. It would totally suck to be stuck in a parade mode through the Cherohala.

Mike (mykrowsy), you should meet Mike(PJFZ1) and Paige if you're down there. They're both my motorcycling buddies :)

Mike (PJFZ1) - I've ridden with mykrowsy before and see him around local events all the time. The world certanially gets tiny when you own a motorcycle. :)

Ride safe,
Matt

I'd love to head down for this, I just have to convince some friends to go down wtih me. Most of them aren't up for much more than a 2hour ride. I can ride for a pretty long time, haven't tried 700 miles of Interstate yet, but it sounds like it should be worth it.

do you all camp out down there? any chance of showing up and finding a campsite? I think I could manage to fit a small tent, sleeping bag and some clothes in the givi bag, and maybe pick up a disposable grill and cooler while I"m down there.

As far as the group rides go, I guess I'd be better off without it. I've driven through Tennessee and Kentucky once, and I was impressed by the Interstate, so I'm sure there's plenty of backroads I could have fun on.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
Mykrowski - If you're buddies with Matt... Hmm.. maybe I should hide? :lao

Anyway, I live in central KY and have a couch you could crash on mid-route, and the road past my place avoids a few miles of interstate..

Paige is working a summer job at the gap, so I find myself there alot of weekends, and I own a truck and trailers... so if you like, e-mail me and I can help support you getting there.

Also - if you want to do a weekend other than the hoot it might be recommended..

·
Registered
878 Posts
mykrowsy said:
do you all camp out down there? any chance of showing up and finding a campsite? I think I could manage to fit a small tent, sleeping bag and some clothes in the givi bag, and maybe pick up a disposable grill and cooler while I"m down there.
Never camped. I normally stay at the Fontana Villiage (just down 28 - another twisty ass road) Another place I've stayed at is the Microtel in Robbinsville, NC, which you will get to if you stay on 129 past the turn for the Cherohala.

And did you see all that stuff PJFZ1 is offering? He is truly one of the good guys.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Everybody raves about "the dragon".. Websites EVERYwhere about it, so what makes it worth the trip out there? For reference, in the mountains of Colorado, we have an entire state of roads with curves in the triple digits numbers..
I prefer riding in Colorado myself, less traffic, better roads, better views. I've been to Deal's Gap a few times, on my last visit, last year a bike crashed, the rider died and they closed the road for 2 hours. We had to just sit and wait. Too much traffic, too many squids, too many cops, too many people just going to show off. But that's my opinion. I might never ride the dragon again, I don't like what it has turned in to. There are roads just as good in other places, they are just not as famous as the dragon, so you don't hear about them.

·
I am very sensitive.
979 Posts
"they are just not as famous as the dragon, so you don't hear about them."

I thnk that is a good thing. I'm excited about riding The Gap at least once, but would much rather be on open roads so much more enjoyable that way.

·
Registered
586 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
Mykrowski - If you're buddies with Matt... Hmm.. maybe I should hide? :lao

Anyway, I live in central KY and have a couch you could crash on mid-route, and the road past my place avoids a few miles of interstate..

Paige is working a summer job at the gap, so I find myself there alot of weekends, and I own a truck and trailers... so if you like, e-mail me and I can help support you getting there.

Also - if you want to do a weekend other than the hoot it might be recommended..
that's awfully nice of you. I will have to wait and see whether or not I can convince some friends to go along. I may go anyways, but I'd prefer a riding companion to ease the boredom, and it'd be nice to have a way out if I have a problem.

how far is knoxville from the gap and cherhola skyway?

·
Registered
43 Posts
ahhhh.... deals gap yes my friend 318 turns 11 miles also know as the ''DRAGONS TAIL'' YES its only for the hard riders so if you think you have mastered the turns and RIDING check it out the ''TREE OF SHAME'' ALWAYS HASROOM FOR MORE!!! ITS LIKE A 2ND HOME www.dealsgap.com talk it when you RIDE IT COME SEE ME

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Everybody raves about "the dragon".. Websites EVERYwhere about it, so what makes it worth the trip out there? For reference, in the mountains of Colorado, we have an entire state of roads with curves in the triple digits numbers.. if I make a trip to Deals, I want to know why it is so good.. Especially since half of the posts I read are about the number of cops out there.
Hmmmm, I have the answer for you! For one, how many bikes are there in the Midwest compared to bikes in the Southeast? Secondly, who's actually doing any riding in Colorado right now w/ all that snow and cold assed weather? You guys only get good riding weather what... Maybe for 1 1/2 months? Not to say that you guys don't have nice roads that are better, but noOnes wants to come to Colorado to ride in the cold :neener .

·
Registered
56 Posts
DRIFTERZX9R said:
ahhhh.... deals gap yes my friend 318 turns 11 miles also know as the ''DRAGONS TAIL'' YES its only for the hard riders so if you think you have mastered the turns and RIDING check it out
Actually it's more like 270 turns.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts