Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows if 220 degrees when sitting in traffic on my 99 GSXR-750 is too hot. In normal street riding it stays between 160 and 175. The fan always comes on at around 220 but it just keeps the temp from climbing. I really just want to know if this is hurting the engine or not. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Not sure about traffic but if I ride around my neighborhodd for awhile the fan cuts on around 221.........

·
Registered
954 Posts
They're all like that. If it was too hot, it'd come on before that. 232+ is too hot (around when the light comes on).

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If it starts to get to 220+ even if the fan turns on and your sitting in traffic, just shut the bike off and let the fan run. That's what I do...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hottest mine gets is 216 in traffic. Honda's i know run a little hotter..around 224-226 i believe. Your fine, no light means no problem

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
240 is when you should start worrying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. I just thought that 220 was a little high. You have put me at ease! Keep up the forum, its a great help.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I hit 220 quite often sitting in traffic so I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
84 Posts
220 is pefectly normal, I would try to avoid it during break in, but my bike spends half the time in traffic and I never have any problems. I put 7000 of 26k on it. 240 is where I would start to worry.

Japbike, turning it off when you start to run hot is not really a good thing. When you do that your COOLANT temp drops but you are no longer cooling the block. The temp in the motor spikes and that is never good for a motor. Metal swells bearing clearances shrink ect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts