Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size etc I need to replace the stock chain/sprockets with?
The chain on the bike is the original yam one which says DID on it which has done nearly 24k (miles) now.

Is it an easy job to replace, have a friend with a chain splitter whose offered but only ever done it once on his own bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got mine changed last week. Stock config is 16 front 46 back with I believe a 118 link O-ring chain. Just changed mine to 15 front, 48 back(JT Sprockets), also using a DID X-ring(530) chain now. Cost me 160 pounds including fitting from bandit bikes in E1(Nelson Street). Probably could have done it by myself, but couldn't really be bothered. Is really great now for around town, improves the top gear acceleration and strangely enough, my fuel economy has gone up, assume it is because I am in top gear almost all of the time now. Was not expecting that, have had to get a speedohealer, yet to fit it though. Only issue I have is that I am going to change the back out to a 45-46 when I go touring. I normally ride around 85-95 mph on the motorway and not to keen to sit at 9-10k rpm consistently. Off to the Nuremburg Ring in 3 weeks, so need to make sure it is ok for a 1000 mile round trip. and a couple of laps when i get there ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your going with the stock stuff you can get teh part numbers off the parts diagram and have a shop order what you need.

The stock is a 530 chain 16t front & 46t Rear sprockets.

Changing them is fairly simple. The front sprocket is just removing the cover and one nut and changing the sprocket. The rear you have to take off the rear wheel and unbolt the sprocket to change it .... 5 nuts I think??
Break the old chain off and string the new one on to the proper length. Then allign your rear wheel straight. Shouldn't take too long ..... unless of course it's me doing it, then it would take hours :rolleyes Crap like that never works right for me :urowned

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
And since you have 24k miles on ur chain let me ask you this .... do you feel a small thud/bumping thru the left (sprocket side) foot peg at low speeds??

I was feeling a thud type thing at low speeds a while back, even posted about it on the board. Some suggested the new tire I had put on may not have been mounted on teh rim right, but it seemed to go away when I messed with chain tension. But eventually it came back after a while.

Ever since I had my new chain put on that thump is totally gone ..... so my guess is it was caused by the old chain needing replacement, I too had 20 somethin K miles on the old chain.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
:confused: Ok..
I am a moron..
I have never taken off a chain and replaced one.
How is it done? Chain Breaker? Chain Press?
Got Pic's?:confused:

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If it's stock, -- remove rear tire, slip off old chain, replace sprockets, slip on new chain and re-attach rear tire. Align rear tire and tension chain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
greatzippy, Don't really notice a thump at low speeds to be honest but riding day in day out you tend to get used to things until there changed. Bit like taking a corner on new tyres after your squared off ones have been replaced... you tend to cut the corner right up ;)

Thanks all, I guess it's order online time :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts