Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm in need of new sprockets/chain, and was wanting to place an order tonight, but I wanted to ask for some opinions first. Right now everything is stock, but seeing that my bike lacks some low end grunt, I was thinking of going with a higher ratio. I don't want to sacrifice too many rpm's to the highway, so what do you think about going just 1 down in front and leaving the back stock? Would I need a smaller chain, or would stock length be ok? Thanks in advance for any imput. :cheers

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Yeah, -1 is ideal, you could even go +2 in the back and still keep the chain.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
If you're getting a new chain anyway, sprocket size doesn't matter for chain length (you order whatever length you need).

-1 in the front, is closer to +3 in the rear (ALMOST identical). Go for +3, rather than -1 (won't wear the chain as much).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TRaGiK said:
If you're getting a new chain anyway, sprocket size doesn't matter for chain length (you order whatever length you need).

-1 in the front, is closer to +3 in the rear (ALMOST identical). Go for +3, rather than -1 (won't wear the chain as much).
Crazy that you recommend that, cause that's exactly what I went ahead and ordered. I found an RK 520 combo kit that has +3 in back. I really didn't want the 520, but it's the only kit I could find for my bike. I heard 520's wear a little faster, but it's an X-ring chain so I gather that's a lot better than the o-ring I have now.

Thanks for your help, guys :cheers

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
5niner0 said:
Yeah, -1 is ideal, you could even go +2 in the back and still keep the chain.
What he said but it all depends on what type of performance you are looking for??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mj31 said:
What he said but it all depends on what type of performance you are looking for??
That was my first intention, -1 in front, but looking at the ratios it's like this:

-1 front, stock rear = 3.14 final drive
stock front, +3 rear = 3.13 final drive

And I found a kit, only one I could find, that has +3 rear with x-ring chain. It was like 150 shipped so I went ahead and got it. I'm not looking to pull power wheelies, just want a little more zip without a dramatic increase in rpm's. I think it should work out ok, but I'll let you know when I get it installed. And, like was said but something I never thought about, it should have a little less wear on the chain.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
+3 is not that bad at all. If I remember correctly, it raised RPM's by roughly 400 from stock...and knocked roughly 10mph off of my top speed (no big deal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts